Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Most of this is caused by the I/O shield being attached. Happens in all tight cases on all eATX MOBOs with the attached I/O shield. I've seen one user that removed the shield, installed the board then attached the shield from the outside, painstaking but effective and im sure could lead to a voided warranty. Case is simply too tight and again Id run my machine on top of a cereal box before I go chopping up a $600 MOBO over a $190 case.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Feklar View Post
    I seriously doubt the issue you are having is due to the backplate shorting something out as you describe. More likely the cause is different. Even if the backplate does touch the metal brace (which it appears to do) no shorting should occur. I's a backplate for stability and some cooling with leds attached but it's not a live circuit. As I said I have mine installed and running perfectly at 5Ghz on all cores. Never a single shutdown error or anything. I have a few photos as well.
    I believed the same thing, the backplate shouldnt lead to a short.

However the mobo didnt work in the case, but it worked outside it. It did work when i lifted the right side, then shorted as soon as i let it touch the case. It also worked fine in the case when i unscrewed the backplate and leds. After i wrapped the plate and right hand side in the case in 3m foil as insulation it also seems to work fine.

What happend when it shorted was that all rgb leds would stay lit on mobo, but the only thing that would happen when trying to boot was fans twitching half a turn and rgb on ram lighting up. No post, no qled, no anything else.

Im 100% sure it is the backplate shorting on the chassi. But the reason why i cant tell.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Feklar PC Specs
    Feklar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Apex
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA w/ Hydro Copper Waterblock
    MonitorAcer Predator X35
    Storage #1Samsung 860 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2850 Evo 1TB and 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cooling
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2
    Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
    Headset Ultrasone Pro 750
    Headset/Speakers Schiit Gungnir DAC w/Violectric V100 Headphone Amp
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Accessory #1 Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    Accessory #2 Koolance Fittings and QDC's
    Accessory #3 XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block w/EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block

Quote Originally Posted by fLxXx View Post
    I believed the same thing, the backplate shouldnt lead to a short.

However the mobo didnt work in the case, but it worked outside it. It did work when i lifted the right side, then shorted as soon as i let it touch the case. It also worked fine in the case when i unscrewed the backplate and leds. After i wrapped the plate and right hand side in the case in 3m foil as insulation it also seems to work fine.

What happend when it shorted was that all rgb leds would stay lit on mobo, but the only thing that would happen when trying to boot was fans twitching half a turn and rgb on ram lighting up. No post, no qled, no anything else.

Im 100% sure it is the backplate shorting on the chassi. But the reason why i cant tell.
    As I have shown I'm using the same motherboard and same case without issues. Phanteks tested the Zenith Extreme also without issues. If yours has an issue others would have the same issue. In the end, do what is comfortable for you. I do have to agree with the other post though and would absolutely NEVER modify a $600 motherboard for a $200 case. If necessary modify the case not the component.

i9 9900k + Asus Maximus XI Apex + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS + Samsung 860 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Phanteks Evolv X case
    XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block, EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block
    Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    LG G32GK850G Monitor +
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by fLxXx View Post
    Thats wierd, ive had mad problems getting my m11e working in the phanteks case. It wouldnt even boot at all since the backplate shorted something out (exactly same problem as the other guys pictures show).

It was possible to remove the plate (and rgb's with it) to get it to work. I ended up covering the entire plate with 3m vehichle wrap foil since i had some left after a car build, i also covered the affected places in the case and now it seems to work, rgb's and all.

I do wonder tho if the shorting might have permanetly damaged something in my mobo? havent been able to test it with a gpu and in windows yet.
    Maybe the backplate was touching some solder points. That would be a manufacturer defect.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I seriously doubt the issue you are having is due to the backplate shorting something out as you describe. More likely the cause is different. Even if the backplate does touch the metal brace (which it appears to do) no shorting should occur. I's a backplate for stability and some cooling with leds attached but it's not a live circuit. As I said I have mine installed and running perfectly at 5Ghz on all cores. Never a single shutdown error or anything. I have a few photos as well.Attachment 77428Attachment 77429Attachment 77430
    Yeah yours is touching those braces too. Its definitely flexing the motherboard near that end. I know its probably too difficult now with the fans/rad installed but take a look from the top if you can and look down at the profile of the motherboard edge.
    I'm thinking of removing the 3 screws on that end just to ease the tension. I contacted ASUS and Phanteks on this issue because one of them is not EATX compliant. If the backplate wasn't there is would fit perfectly with room. On the other hand if those braces were designed differently, then the mobo with the backplate would fit. So who is the one that is not EATX compliant?
    Last edited by MorePower; 12-05-2018 at 12:23 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Most of this is caused by the I/O shield being attached. Happens in all tight cases on all eATX MOBOs with the attached I/O shield. I've seen one user that removed the shield, installed the board then attached the shield from the outside, painstaking but effective and im sure could lead to a voided warranty. Case is simply too tight and again Id run my machine on top of a cereal box before I go chopping up a $600 MOBO over a $190 case.
    My I/O shield fits perfectly and all the motherboard holes/standoffs were aligned. The back of the I/O is flush with the case opening as it should be. Its just that one of these products is not EATX compliant.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos io.jpg  

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Quote Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
    My I/O shield fits perfectly and all the motherboard holes/standoffs were aligned. The back of the I/O is flush with the case opening as it should be. Its just that one of these products is not EATX compliant.
    So bottom line is we all know now not to buy this case with and EATX MOBO regardless of what the specs say.
    Have you contacted Phanteks?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Feklar PC Specs
    Feklar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Apex
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA w/ Hydro Copper Waterblock
    MonitorAcer Predator X35
    Storage #1Samsung 860 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2850 Evo 1TB and 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cooling
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2
    Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
    Headset Ultrasone Pro 750
    Headset/Speakers Schiit Gungnir DAC w/Violectric V100 Headphone Amp
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Accessory #1 Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    Accessory #2 Koolance Fittings and QDC's
    Accessory #3 XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block w/EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    So bottom line is we all know now not to buy this case with and EATX MOBO regardless of what the specs say.
    Have you contacted Phanteks?
    I contacted Phanteks myself before I bought the motherboard to find out whether it would fit. I spoke directly to one of their senior techs that assured me that the maximum eatx width that will work with this case is 284mm. The Extreme as well as the Zenith Extreme is 277mm wide. Their previous version of that case is the Evolv ATX and that case's maximum width is 265mm. If they tested the Asus Zenith Extreme with this case and experienced no issues, the MXIE will not have any issues either which it doesn't for me. If anyone is uncomfortable with the fit, get a different case. I've been building for many years and have no problem with it at all and it performs perfectly.

i9 9900k + Asus Maximus XI Apex + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS + Samsung 860 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Phanteks Evolv X case
    XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block, EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block
    Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    LG G32GK850G Monitor +
    Windows 10 Pro

New ROGer Array

As I have shown I'm using the same motherboard and same case without issues. Phanteks tested the Zenith Extreme also without issues. If yours has an issue others would have the same issue. In the end, do what is comfortable for you. I do have to agree with the other post though and would absolutely NEVER modify a $600 motherboard for a $200 case. If necessary modify the case not the component.

Mayne as someone stated my backplate are touching some solder points and hence is conducting electricity, i suppose that would be a defect from asus.

Either way, the fact that it is touching the case should mean asus or phanteks are not following eatx standards i suppose?

It seems it works now after i insulated it so i will just leave it as is. No one has the m11e in stock here anyway and i dont have time for an rma...

ROG Enthusiast Array

The board is within the EATX width standards but they didn't factor in the thickness of the RGB and backplate. If there was no backplate there would be no issues. Phanteks and ASUS did not correctly test this. I understand that testing every single case on the market isn't going to happen but there should be some kind of standard that needs to be followed especially with these high end high priced products.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2