cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Dual Boot

steven_pilagan
Level 7
Hi everyone, Has anyone here tried to do a dual boot on their laptop using Ubuntu and windows?
If so, have you encountered any issues while installing and after?
What are those issues you've encountered and how did you solve those issues?

I'm planning to dual boot my GL503 laptop coz I prefer to use linux since I'm gonna be using this laptop much for work related stuff.
9 REPLIES 9

infernoshatt
Level 8
Hi, I'm using Ubuntu, Kali Linux and Windows together. I faced the problem with Nvidia drivers.

After installing Ubuntu do the following steps:

Boot from GRUB loader select Ubuntu and press E. Navigate cursor to row where starting with Linux then on the end of the row replace "quiet splash" with "nouveau.modeset=0" (without quote marks). Then press F10. Now Ubuntu will boot normally. Or Add nouveau.modeset=0 to the end of the linux line.

To Install The Nvidia Graphic Driver:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-396

If you want to install Nvidia Drivers on Kali Linux then read the post on: https://hackersterminal.com

infernoshatt wrote:
Hi, I'm using Ubuntu, Kali Linux and Windows together. I faced the problem with Nvidia drivers.

After installing Ubuntu do the following steps:

Boot from GRUB loader select Ubuntu and press E. Navigate cursor to row where starting with Linux then on the end of the row replace "quiet splash" with "nouveau.modeset=0" (without quote marks). Then press F10. Now Ubuntu will boot normally. Or Add nouveau.modeset=0 to the end of the linux line.

To Install The Nvidia Graphic Driver:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-396

If you want to install Nvidia Drivers on Kali Linux then read the post on: https://hackersterminal.com

First of all, Good to see a thread for GL503 on linux.
Hey did you face any problem with touchpad, wifi, keyboard bluetooth etc. Because when I installed kali and booted nothing was working and didnt find any solutions. So i assumed that it wont work. Glad it worked for you. Can you also tell whta exact model you have mine is GL503Ge-EN038T. an dwhat kali version you use. I want to try again.

thanks guys for your replies/help, i'll try to follow those instrucions that you guys mentioned. now i feel more confident to do a dual boot in my laptop.

Mine is GL503GE-ES52. I had quite a few problems on ubuntu.
First of all, the touchpad didn't work, that was solved by installing latest stable kernel version, for example it works on 4.19.
But it stops working very often, you either have to wait for some time or restart the module:
sudo modprobe -r hid_multitouch
sudo modprobe hid_multitouch
like this. I just hate the touchpad on this device, it has glitches on windows too.

Then it would freeze when I tried to reboot or shutdown, that was solved by switching to nvidia drivers.
Also the cpu was always at max frequency, couldn't do anything about it with intel_pstate driver, so I disabled it, now the frequency jumps around like normal, but turbo boost is disabled, so max frequency is 2.3ghz on i5. At least it's not hot anymore.

Now the remaining problem is that the function keys F5-F12 doesn't work.

Oh and sometimes the audio jack doesn't work. While trying to fix that I stumbled upon that - as strange as it may be - after force shutting down the laptop, it starts working.

If you solve any problem or have a better solution, please let me know!

irakli9 wrote:
First of all, the touchpad didn't work, that was solved by installing latest stable kernel version, for example it works on 4.19.
But it stops working very often, you either have to wait for some time or restart the module:
like this. I just hate the touchpad on this device, it has glitches on windows too.

Then it would freeze when I tried to reboot or shutdown, that was solved by switching to nvidia drivers.
Also the cpu was always at max frequency, couldn't do anything about it with intel_pstate driver, so I disabled it, now the frequency jumps around like normal, but turbo boost is disabled, so max frequency is 2.3ghz on i5. At least it's not hot anymore.

Oh and sometimes the audio jack doesn't work. While trying to fix that I stumbled upon that - as strange as it may be - after force shutting down the laptop, it starts working.

Mine is EN230T. What's the difference between GL503GE-ES52 and GL503GE-EN230T ?

So I tried installing Kali Linux latest version (2018.4) today ... and unexpectedly everything (Wifi, Keypad , Bluetooth) is working this time except touchpad... But I think there is work-around available for making touchpad work by updating kernel (somebody mentioned in earlier posts) and I am going to try it later. I am using external wireless mouse(working 😉 ), so no hurry.
Just follow the Nvidia driver installing procedure as mentioned in previous posts and we are good to go.

I have GL503GE-EN041T (2018 model with 8th gen i7) and nothing (keyboard wifi bluetooth toucpad) was working when I tried flashing Ubuntu and Kali previously. (Just for info.)
I think drivers are updated/included in latest kali version or maybe latest kernel fixed it... Now I can stop cursing Asus :D.

Thank You Guyzz for you help.

irakli9 wrote:

I had the exact same issue with the audio jack that randomly stops working on my G512LV. and started working if I shutdown (not restart) and boot again. in my case, the audio jack not working was always accompanied with my caps lock key "light" not working. they always stopped working together, never apart. it was weird.

anyway, i gave it to service center as it was still in warranty and they said for some reason that its because my ssd was corrupt. they replaced it for a new one. so far no problems yet.

sunnykatiyar50 wrote:
First of all, Good to see a thread for GL503 on linux.
Hey did you face any problem with touchpad, wifi, keyboard bluetooth etc. Because when I installed kali and booted nothing was working and didnt find any solutions. So i assumed that it wont work. Glad it worked for you. Can you also tell whta exact model you have mine is GL503Ge-EN038T. an dwhat kali version you use. I want to try again.

Read the post for complete kali linux installation and Nvidia driver installtion on ROG GL503GE. For Ubuntu installation just follow step 1 and 2 then do the thing I commented on your post.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107138-How-to-install-Nvidia-drivers-on-Kali-Linux-Guide-A...

I installed latest Kali Linux version 2018.4 and and Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. Touch Pad didn't work on neither Kali Linux nor Ubuntu. Make sure during installation you update the operating system so everything works. I didnt check Bluetooth as I don't use that. My laptop is GL503GE-EN230T.

Thanks @infernoshatt, you nailed it.