cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5E10 upgrade onboard WiFi to 9260

Belik
Level 7
Hi,
currently motherboard R5E10 has onboard WiFi module Azurwave AW-CB160H which is Broadcom BCM94360HMB half-size miniPCIe card.

Throughout of it isn’t much, on latest drivers (which are still dated as 2016) I am able to get only 360 Mbit download and 270 Mbit upload (measured by copying large file)
New Intel 9260 card promises much more speed comparable with wired 1Gbit Ethernet so I would like to replace to it.
The main issue is that current Azurewave is miniPCIe while 9260 are all m.2 cards so it’s required to have adapter MiniPCIe to m.2 like the one on the right

Will all this construction fit under back cover?
7 REPLIES 7

Godofmosquitoes
Level 7
No idea about the construction, sorry. But what drivers are you using with your card? The .344 or .338? I find the latter to work far better than the former. Especially if you also have Broadcom in the other end. For example with an RT-AC88U. Not to mention the flawless compatibility.

Belik
Level 7
I use 7.35.317.3 from 03-Feb-2016, the single choice I could download from Asus site

But limitation here is in technology I guess not driver version, using 3t3r at 80hz you can’t exceed 360 Mbit, i e around 45 MB/s copying file

While using 160 hz channel it can be around 100 MB/s according to reviews

armin_maleki
Level 7
in this case
if i use driver version 6 (windows 8.1) on windows 10...i can connect to both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ ssid but if i use driver version 7 (windows 10) cant connect to 2.4GHZ anymore.bluetooth wont work anymore too with all driver...

unfortunately rampage v10 is worst motherboard and last motherboard i buy from asus

armin_maleki wrote:
in this case
if i use driver version 6 (windows 8.1) on windows 10...i can connect to both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ ssid but if i use driver version 7 (windows 10) cant connect to 2.4GHZ anymore.bluetooth wont work anymore too with all driver...

unfortunately rampage v10 is worst motherboard and last motherboard i buy from asus

Try with the 7.35.338 drivers. They work perfectly in my experience.

https://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1985〈=en

Belik
Level 7
Yes I have error "Can't connect to network" when try to connect to 2.4GHz, only 5GHz works

Well.. I maDe some estimations and 99% that MiniPCIe->M.2 adapter won't fit under back cover

It was a "present" from Asus when they made miniPCIe for onboard wi-fi, Maximus motherbords have normal modern M.2 and they can happily install 9260

Belik
Level 7
Well I installed 7.35.338.0 and 2.4 GHz still can't be connected
On 5 GHz file copied at worse speed, around 37 MB/s
So in my case with Qualcomm Atheros driver .317 looks better

Anyway wireless speed 100 MB/s is not achievable. So it looks PCIex1 card with 9260 will be the best option

Godofmosquitoes, what wireless speed you have? Your router is Asus, rt?

Vlada011
Level 10
Did you change something during these period.

Intel 9260 is Bluetooth 5 but it's big.
On our board RVE10 could fit half mini Intel AC 7260.
It's upgrade but not as Bluetooth 5. It's important that version is 4 or higher.
All new devices are compatible with 4 or higher at least if not with previous versions.