cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Extreme PCH heatsink screw stuck / RMA?

B3rT111
Level 7
Hi everyone

I recently received my brandnew M11E motherboard.
Unfortunately one of the PCH heatsink screws (3 in total) sits very tight and can't be loosened.
So far every attempt to loosen the screw failed. To make matters worse the screw head is stripped.
It is one of those micro flathead screws. Very small and fragile. The other two screws were secured by Loctite. Maybe too much?

There are two M2 NVMe ports below the PCH heatsink I want to access.

I uploaded some pictures in order to show you
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i167973umisyiro/AAA5tuYuqVBgyapyiTAN8vpda?dl=0

Any idea? RMA?

It's so frustrating. 😞

Best regards
Robert
15 REPLIES 15

Endo2412
Level 7
I had the same problem. totally stripped the head. To fix it i bought a grabit screw remover and got it out (https://www.ebay.com/bhp/grabit-extractor)

good luck

Kevin

SirWaWa
Level 7
Mine didn't have loctite on them however, the thermal pad sticky wasn't on correctly and was actually sticking to some components before I even peeled it off

At this point it would be best to get a screw extractor kit. Asus should of used flat-head hex screws. Using Philips on these high end boards is not smart. Why don't you use the Dimm.2 card?

I have the same board and case as you. Does the RGB backplate on the board touch the case braces? I was going to remove the backplate but decided not to at this point. I have some flex near the end but maybe it won't hurt. How does yours look? Can you post pics?

Thanks

I am having the same issue. This is ridiculous. An expensive card that is the top of the series to have then a cheap screw .

Did any of you was able to remove the screw?

What Is the solution that works?

marcolisi wrote:
I am having the same issue. This is ridiculous. An expensive card that is the top of the series to have then a cheap screw .

Did any of you was able to remove the screw?

What Is the solution that works?

No doubt the 3 screws are a snug fit....they can easily be removed...but requires some patience...a little heat (from hair dryer)...the correct size philips head screw driver and a bit of force from the top down on the screw head....if you rush to try and remove the screws..you will most definitely strip the head...it's not the screw that is so called "cheap" that is the issue...it more the process taken that will strip the screw head...
I had no issues removing the screws with the process I have outlined .
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Yes I ran into this on build day. I bet Asus supply chain is crowded with tons of otherwise perfect boards that people choose to RMA over it because there was no other option for them. Now those boards have to eat up repair depot time and
money...for a $.01 screw . mine was stripped but I managed to get it out. Poor decision asus

mine have the same problem, definitely the screws issue.
it's not even a steel screw, that's why they are so easy to strip, and if you check more carefully, you can see some blue paint on the screws, that make it stuck more tighter.
so the cheap screws and the stupid paint, that's why you cant loose it because the screw head cant even handle the torque.

one more thing that make me angrier, I bring it back to the vendor, they call this is "human error" and not allow for change and no warranty.
I was shocked, i mean, what!? You Asus put this trap on the board, and let the customers bear the responsibility? WHY?

I was thinking may be I am that stupid to loose a screw until i found this thread, this is absolutely Asus problem. You just shirking all the responsibility to customer. Do you know how helpless i feel? I just want to remove that stupid heatsink and put my m.2 drive in....

waterkwong wrote:
mine have the same problem, definitely the screws issue.
it's not even a steel screw, that's why they are so easy to strip, and if you check more carefully, you can see some blue paint on the screws, that make it stuck more tighter.
so the cheap screws and the stupid paint, that's why you cant loose it because the screw head cant even handle the torque.

one more thing that make me angrier, I bring it back to the vendor, they call this is "human error" and not allow for change and no warranty.
I was shocked, i mean, what!? You Asus put this trap on the board, and let the customers bear the responsibility? WHY?

I was thinking may be I am that stupid to loose a screw until i found this thread, this is absolutely Asus problem. You just shirking all the responsibility to customer. Do you know how helpless i feel? I just want to remove that stupid heatsink and put my m.2 drive in....

The blue substance you are referring to is called for "Locktite" and is used to to seal the gaps in the tread and prevent the screw from backing off...as I mentioned earlier...best way to handle removal of screw is by applying heat and applying top down pressure on the screw head....metal expands and substances soften with heat...The screw head can most certainly handle the torque if the correct size screwdriver is used with a heat application....I have personally encountered this issue with all 3 screws on first try ( and no doubt..they are snug) without stripping the screwheads...first instinct was to apply heat on 2nd try.....and easily removed screws...
As for RMA refusal to to human error ???....Yes....I can understand Asus stance initially....but it is through the forum and posts of this nature that makes the manufacture aware and acknowledge that there is indeed an ongoing and frequent issue that is a manufactures defect and said damage was not a result of human error...that will have your RMA honoured.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
No doubt the 3 screws are a snug fit....they can easily be removed...but requires some patience...a little heat (from hair dryer)...the correct size philips head screw driver and a bit of force from the top down on the screw head....if you rush to try and remove the screws..you will most definitely strip the head...it's not the screw that is so called "cheap" that is the issue...it more the process taken that will strip the screw head...
I had no issues removing the screws with the process I have outlined .

It seems that others got into the same problem.
Hence this is an issue. It should be something with no issue whatsoever .
We are here to talk about it and there were other before having the same issue with other asus motherboard.

Spending 600 dollars to get screwed by a screw doesn't feel right.

I should bill asus 20 dollars for the extractor I have ordered for me now trying to remove the screw