cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS z390 Maximus XI Hero (Wifi) USB Issue

MDKagent007
Level 7
Hi,

So I have a problem with my ASUS z390 Maximus XI Hero motherboard, perhaps someone can provide me with some guidance in the right direction.

I am currently still running Windows 7 on my old PC and I do not want to switch to Windows 10; I have no plans for this for another 3-5 years at least.

Anyway, I am trying to utilize LEGACY mode on this board but have ran into a wall.

I can see all my disks as bootable but I am unable to install Windows 7. When I boot into the UEFI bios, the mouse and keyboard work; I checked this on all USB ports including on the back of the I/O plate and on the front of my case. Everything is working fine up until I boot into the Windows 7 installation off a CD via SATA port.

When I reach the first screen on the Windows 7 Installation, neither the mouse or keyboard work; both are wireless. The keyboard has a digital display and indicates 'no connection' on all of the USB ports (tried every single one).

What am I missing as a setting in the BIOS to allow legacy USB to be used during a Windows 7 installation?773717737277373

See the image below, this is as far as I get as the keyboard/mouse no longer work...

5 REPLIES 5

MDKagent007
Level 7
UPDATE...

So i've gone ahead an update the BIOS to 0602 and no change. I am still unable to launch the Windows 7 installer as the keyboard and mouse do not respond on the first installation screen as shown in my previous post.

Any help is appreciated...

I have tried both "auto" and "enabled" modes for Legacy USB Support

Falkentyne
Level 12
Legacy USB support should have worked.
That setting also allows you to boot to a command prompt via flash drive, like freedos, MS DOS, etc, and let you use the keyboard.
In your first picture you had it set to auto.

When you enabled it, did you use a USB 2.0 port?
You must use a USB 2.0 port. Some USB3 ports and some hubs may not initialize the keyboard and mouse on cold boots (but will on a warm reboot, e.g.if you actually were able to load windows and reboot). Some ports will not work at all.

I've seen this "bug" happen with some keyboards with Cypress IC's. Especially Ducky keyboards. But it should not happen on a USB 2.0 port.

Double check and make sure and if it still refuses to work, contact Asus.
Also to further troubleshoot this, do you have access to another computer where you can format a "Freedos" or "MS DOS" flash boot disk with Rufus? If you can, do that, change your bios to legacy (I believe you have to in order to boot to a DOS boot disk) and boot to your new MS DOS drive and see if you can use the keyboard.

HiVizMan
Level 40
To install Win7 on your system you may need to use a PCIe USB adaptor. The USB ports will not be recognised when installing Win7. You will have to install the Asmedia USB drivers during the install process to get USB access for installation purposes.

There is a detailed post on the forum that outlines the process. I will try and find it for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
To install Win7 on your system you may need to use a PCIe USB adaptor. The USB ports will not be recognised when installing Win7. You will have to install the Asmedia USB drivers during the install process to get USB access for installation purposes.

There is a detailed post on the forum that outlines the process. I will try and find it for you.

Yeah, I found a link where someone posted here to a video on how to do it. Too much effort. I wasted 3-4 days now trying to get Windows 7 installed and I am at the end of my ropes. I have given up the unequal struggle and frustration of trying. I settled into Windows 10 and that worked out good. It was a smooth install, surprise surprise.

I don't think ASUS should have stated that they support legacy OS especially how overly complicated and convoluded the procedure is.

The system now runs on Windows 10.

This thread can end now. I am disappointed with the outcome as I was forced into Windows 10....should have bought the Z370 chipset instead...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sorry to hear that mate. Think the reason may have been to do with Microsoft indicating they are stopping Win7 support relatively soon. But I hear you mate it was a major pain in the butt for me to get Win7 installed too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.