cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To get My M9F LEDS Back? [Resolved]

SeanHaney
Level 7
I've had my system for about 2 years now, and upon a recent whim decided to load the Aura software. After a gazillion times of loading and unloading Aura, both 1.7.22 and 1.06.17, trying EVERYTHING I could possibly read about this feature, I've finally come to the conclusion it's POS software. I did get it to work for about a week after loading 1.06.17. Unfortunately, before I started this whole episode, I had working LEDS on my Maximus IX Formula board, and now they only work if I've shut down the system. The second I turn it on, all goes blank except the RGB headers which now only give be green lights on my two 12" LED strips. Nothing I can do get my MB lights back when the system is ON. I do have a brand new GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU I got about 2 weeks ago, and it's LEDs work fine.

A couple of systems ago, I seem to remember a similar issue with Asus' AI Suite, which took me forever to kill, but eventually did. I should have learned my lesson then, but the RGB effect was too great for me to pass up. I figured, "heck, what do I have to lose by trying it?".

I've used the Aura Cleaner, cleaned my whole drive of anything AURA (or Lighting Service), cleaned the registry as far as I can, and STILL don't have any lights. I've even disconnected my LED strips in all configurations to see if they were suspect.

I've tries numerous reloads of prior images to using the AURA software, and nothing seems to change (I keep Macrium full C drive images for about a month's worth of changes). I've had BIOS 1301 since about May. My ultimate conclusion is that possibly my BIOS setup is corrupt, but everything else works just fine. Since they work in system off, but turn off the SECOND I turn the system on tells me it's possibly a BIOS issue. I've cycled the BIOS properties for the LEDs multiple times, both warm and cold boots, and still nothing. I'm at wits' end, and have tried to google reloading the 1301 BIOS setup, but haven't seen any definitive answers in doing so. I'd like to reset the CMOS, but don't have the hours on end to save screenshots of my BIOS setup so I can recover correctly.

MY system kicks butt right now EXCEPT for it's onboard lighting. Ideas? Can I reload 1301 over itself? Please don't tell me to reload Windows 10...the problem is my LEDs go off WAY BEFORE Windows even gets loaded.

Thanks in advance for anything you can "enlighten" me with!

BIOS Version: 1301 x64
Build Date: 03/14/2018
iROG1 Version: MBEC-Z270-0216
iROG2 Version: RGE2-Z270-0109
iROG3 Version: RGE3-Z270-0117
LED EC Version: LED-0116
16 REPLIES 16

SeanHaney
Level 7
No one has any insight? Please- I need to get some help on this as I'm installing in new EVGA DG-87 case! Thank you!

JustinThyme
Level 13
Have you tried removing the power from the board completely as in puling the plug on the PSU or flipping the PSU switch off? To recover on mine it takes doing that and an initialization cycle after the power has been removed for 30 seconds or so. Like 3 reboots it does then back to OEM.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Have you tried removing the power from the board completely as in puling the plug on the PSU or flipping the PSU switch off? To recover on mine it takes doing that and an initialization cycle after the power has been removed for 30 seconds or so. Like 3 reboots it does then back to OEM.

yes....darn near every time I reloaded the software, and I cycled the BIOS's LED setting numerous times also. I've spent more time in the last two week reading AURA posts and trying everything than sleeping. But thanks for the info!!

SeanHaney wrote:
yes....darn near every time I reloaded the software, and I cycled the BIOS's LED setting numerous times also. I've spent more time in the last two week reading AURA posts and trying everything than sleeping. But thanks for the info!!

Just to clarify, you've played with these settings in UEFI already?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Just to clarify, you've played with these settings in UEFI already?

Yes I have- about 2 dozen times( except not the USB C Switch option). I've also toggled the ERP option a few times. And I make sure that I'm doing a cold boot after I've unplugged the system for a minute or two.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you have a look in UEFI BIOS to see if "LED EC Version" is showing? (Main page)

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Can you have a look in UEFI BIOS to see if "LED EC Version" is showing? (Main page)

Yes...here is my BIOS Info:

BIOS Version: 1301 x64
Build Date: 03/14/2018
iROG1 Version: MBEC-Z270-0216
iROG2 Version: RGE2-Z270-0109
iROG3 Version: RGE3-Z270-0117
LED EC Version: LED-0116

This has shown consistent throughout this process. As I mentioned before, I don't see how this would be a software issue, as the second that I turn my system ON, the MB lights turn OFF. This is why I'm wondering if it's possible to re-flash the BIOS over itself- this is the only thing I haven't done.

darkage
Level 11
its software, i had in several pcs something similar, only with a OS reinstall it worked again
never clean aura or other asus services like you did, only uninstall or don't install (like i do mostly)
good luck

darkage wrote:
its software, i had in several pcs something similar, only with a OS reinstall it worked again
never clean aura or other asus services like you did, only uninstall or don't install (like i do mostly)
good luck

That may be for most peoples issues, but as I've mentioned prior, when I turn off my system, the LEDs go on. Only when I unplug it do they turn off. Then, the absolute moment I press the start button to boot the PC, they turn OFF. The boot loader does its thing, I get a POST, THEN the Master Boot Record loads Win10Pro. I am getting ZERO startup errors with my system. So, it appears in my case it is a hardware issue, or at least the Boot Loader.

I've only had this problem since I changed out my GPU with the EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3, and then installed Aura a bazillion times.

As I'm starting a case replacement, I'm going to test the motherboard itself and see what happens. I'll post the results.