deavski
Level 7
Bought a new system with the below specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X
Mobo: Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WIFI
RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVM
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

and have had a few RAM issues, which I have troubleshooted and come to the conclusion it's an issue with the A2 DIMM slot on the CH7. I've seen a lot of threads on here and across the internet with similar problems, but I dont think most have troubleshooted to the point where they have realised it's due to the A2 DIMM slot. Looks like this may be a endemic issue with the CH7.

Basically the issue is as follow.

On 0804 firmware or earlier:
RAM in A2 slot is not recognised by Ch7 in the total RAM, eg 2x 8gb only shows 8gb total ram. But if I go to the list of DIMM slots in the BIOS, it shows the second RAM stick in the A1 slot rather than the A2 slot where it's installed. In windows though, the 16GB is recognised. Moving the two RAM sticks to any other DIMM slots and everything shows correctly in BIOS.

On 1002 & 1103 BIOS:
having a RAM stick in the A2 DIMM slot produces 0d Q code and motherboard doesnt post. Having RAM sticks in any other DIMM slots and the motherboard posts successfully.

I have seen a lot of posts about both the above scenarios, which are both due to the A2 DIMM slot not functioning correctly, it just depends what firmware you have as to which way the issue presents itself.

Under any of these firmware, I cant go beyond the default 2400mhz RAM speed, most likely related to the above.

Not sure what to do now, I guess I'll return the MB but seeing how common this issue seems to be, it makes me think I should return it and buy a different model MB rather than the CH7.
9 REPLIES 9

Tirinium
Level 7
I had the exact same thing happening. I checked if both sticks were working in B1 and B2. And if they are working in A1 + A2 and in A2 + B2. only worked in B1 + B2. And all the other things you tested. I came to the conclusion it was either my mainboard or bent pins on the CPU. I checked CPU no issues there. So i replaced the CH7 (Just yesterday) today everything works as intended. So yeah broken Mobo. However what you could still retry is either CPU and Powercables on the motherboard. I both those check out ok then you can surmise its the CH7.

For your information i had the issue on bios 8040 and 1103. After replacement is worked on both default bios and 1103.

7ha7as1an
Level 7
Good Morning,

I'm also experiencing the 0d Code error that will not allow my system to post. With Bios 0804 everything worked fine with the Corsair RGB Memory then when prompted to update bios to 1002 via the EZ Update utility it would not post to bios and shows the 0d code. Tried updating bios to new 1103 via the back UBS flashback port located on the rear IO. The blue indicator light would continue flashing signalling bios was read successfully and stop when completed. Trying to boot would result in code 0d again. This code appears no matter which bios I am trying to flash back to all the way to original 0804 bios. I've seen other posts mentioning that Ram may be faulty so went and bought the Vengeance series ram and tried again. Still code 0d. Tried taking the bottom battery out for at least an hour with it off and unplugged. Same Result. Removed everything and reseated the CPU. Same result. Tried different PCI slot for VGA card (I have 2 in SLI disconnected then swapped cards and slots) same result. Disconnected all drives but M.2 SSD with boot drive. Same result. Powerd down and unplugged rig and left overnight. Same result. Tried using 1 ram stick in each slot (all 6 sticks separately) . Same result. Then 2, 3, 4 ram sticks. No change. I'm at my wits end and would rather not deal with Asus RMA system. Though will if nothing else works. I've enjoyed my previous Asus Sabertooth Z77 and have had no issue in the past with it and now this... Any advice would be appreciated.

RAM: Corsair CMR32GX4M4C3466C16 and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVM (installed in bottom M.2 slot)
GPU: 2 x GTX 1080 Hybrid SLI
PSU: Corsair Hx1000i

Frostie36
Level 7
For an endemic issue I must have got lucky with my motherboard as I run 2 kits of that gskill flare x 3200mhz ram without issue, had just the 1 kit installed at first until I purchased the second kit about 4 months later and no issues with either the 2 or 4 dimms installed.

kemicalchaos
Level 9
deavski wrote:
Bought a new system with the below specs:

RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVM
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

and have had a few RAM issues, which I have troubleshooted and come to the conclusion it's an issue with the A2 DIMM slot on the CH7. I've seen a lot of threads on here and across the internet with similar problems, but I dont think most have troubleshooted to the point where they have realised it's due to the A2 DIMM slot. Looks like this may be a endemic issue with the CH7.

Basically the issue is as follow.

On 0804 firmware or earlier:
RAM in A2 slot is not recognised by Ch7 in the total RAM, eg 2x 8gb only shows 8gb total ram. But if I go to the list of DIMM slots in the BIOS, it shows the second RAM stick in the A1 slot rather than the A2 slot where it's installed. In windows though, the 16GB is recognised. Moving the two RAM sticks to any other DIMM slots and everything shows correctly in BIOS.

On 1002 & 1103 BIOS:
having a RAM stick in the A2 DIMM slot produces 0d Q code and motherboard doesnt post. Having RAM sticks in any other DIMM slots and the motherboard posts successfully.

I have seen a lot of posts about both the above scenarios, which are both due to the A2 DIMM slot not functioning correctly, it just depends what firmware you have as to which way the issue presents itself.

Under any of these firmware, I cant go beyond the default 2400mhz RAM speed, most likely related to the above.

Not sure what to do now, I guess I'll return the MB but seeing how common this issue seems to be, it makes me think I should return it and buy a different model MB rather than the CH7.

Hi,
I've been searching high and low for an answer for this issue with the A2 slot.

My own experience has been that whilst i can get corsair venghence (CAS16 @ 3200MHz) ram to run in slots B2 A2 and use the docp but anything else (I've tried two other kits with CAS 14 @ 3200MHz - Teamgroup and G-skill) and either I see 0d or F9 or half the RAM is missing.

See thread here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105724-F9-and-0d-Q-code-seen-with-new-RAM

Anyhoo after reading your thread I've now ordered a replacement board (this afternoon) and should hopefully arrive Wednesday.

Thank you.

Working with this board a few months ago I had all 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram installed though while overclocking ran into q-code 0d. Troubleshooting lead me to believe one of my ram sticks had died. When booting with the dead stick it would show q-code 0d though with the other three it would boot normally. Distressed I decided to run with two sticks out of the four. After the bios update to 1002, running into the q-code 0d again with all four sticks and now two more stick I recently purchased leads me to believe it really is time to just RMA the board... I'm certain it has nothing to do to AMD nor Corsair. I'm saddened think that Asus is dropping the ball here. It may just me user error and hope it is because as stated I've enjoyed my Sabertooth Z77 and how reliable it still is.

Inquired with Asus tech support and all they offered was to submit an RMA and send if for possible repairs or just replace the board all together. This being a possible refurbished board or if I'm lucky a new board all together.

Cheers to anyone that can pull through the q-code 0d.

The new C7H turned up today.

I popped the G-Skill ram in the B2-A2 slots and ta da!! Runs lovely under docp too.

So the slot in my old board is dodgy after all and i'm extremely pleased to have found your thread with a solution.

Once again Many thanks!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for posting back with a happy outcome.

Sometimes it is as simple as a messed memory slot. Enjoy mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Received motherboard back and now Q-code 24 with black screen. No LED lights under q-code readout.

7ha7as1an wrote:
Received motherboard back and now Q-code 24 with black screen. No LED lights under q-code readout.

Resolved. Everything's currently stable and working with 1103.