cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my GPU broken?

IainM
Level 7
I removed my GPU Strix 1080TiOC to replace my radiator and fans. After I put it back the colors seem off. Colors in games are paler than they were. Lights have far more glare than they used to. Reflected sunlight is blinding. There seems to be too much yellow affecting everything. Dark places in games are too dark, much darker than they used to be. Something is definitely off.

Also, Furmark at 4K gives me horizontal unstable lines now. No lines at 2K or 1080p.

I'm thinking my GPU might be on its way out. It's only a year old and hasn't been seriously OCd at all. I tried the latest driver and rolled all the way back to 398.82, which I know works.

Here are some examples. As you can see, the colors are off and there is far too much flare/glare. Some games seem out of focus, not sharp.

Any thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11

panzlock
Level 12
The cables seated properly on your components? Is the VGA seated properly in its slot?

Also, swap monitors just to double check.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

IainM
Level 7
OK. The GPU is sitting fine. Cables are fine. Tried a different monitor. Replaced my HDMI cable. Same problem. All the colors look faded. All dark areas are too dark. All lights, reflected sunlight, and all shiny surfaces are glaringly bright. Seeing white dots on the borders of objects sometimes.

So, my $1,000 GPU seems to be playing up.

IainM
Level 7
OK. The GPU is sitting fine. Cables are fine. Tried a different monitor. Replaced my HDMI cable. Same problem. All the colors look faded. All dark areas are too dark. All lights, reflected sunlight, and all shiny surfaces are glaringly bright. Seeing white dots on the borders of objects sometimes.

So, my $1,000 GPU seems to be playing up.

This is not how Resident Evil 7 should look at the start:

IainM
Level 7
Lots of people seem to be having problems with the latest drivers. Even 417.22 did not fix the problem. So, it could be a driver problem. I'm going to play around with DDU and install some old drivers until I find one that works. I really hope it's not my GPU on its death bed.

JustinThyme
Level 13
My call would be try a reseat of the GPU. If all you did was pull it out and put it back then either its not seated or it got damaged in the process.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

IainM
Level 7
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. OK. I removed the GPU and used only the z370f and 8600k Intel Graphics. The problem is the same. My work PC -- MSI B360 Mortar Titanium and i3 8100 with no GPU -- gives me the same problem. Adding my Strix GTX960 gives me the same problem. Different monitors give me the same problem. Brights are too bright. Darks are too dark. Too much yellow saturation. My wife's Toshiba laptop seems to be having the same problem. I'm at a loss. Rolled back the drivers with DDU. No effect. Switched off Win10 updates for display drivers and restored my PC to a date in November. Not much improvement. Changed Color Management to sRGB. Seemed to help, but not much. Must be a Win10 thing. I dunno.

If I'm getting the same problem with and without the GPU, could that mean that Intel Graphics are overriding the Nvidia drivers when I use the GPU? Using the onboard graphics gives me the same crappy colors and saturation. The 4K TV might be to blame. Samsung are sending techs to look at it. I RMA's my GPU just to be sure, to eliminate one possible source.

This is bugging me.

IainM wrote:
If I'm getting the same problem with and without the GPU, could that mean that Intel Graphics are overriding the Nvidia drivers when I use the GPU? Using the onboard graphics gives me the same crappy colors and saturation. The 4K TV might be to blame. Samsung are sending techs to look at it. I RMA's my GPU just to be sure, to eliminate one possible source.

This is bugging me.

Remove you primari OS drive, try to install the spare drive and install complete OS from the beginning,
this could eliminate the problem with software.

🙂

Found the source of the problem. I've got cataracts. They must have begun a few months ago, a year at the most. They are the cause of all my graphics woes.

Thanking everyone for your tips and advice.

I advise everyone to wear filtered glasses or use eye protecting monitors when gaming or working with PCs, and to get your eyes checked regularly.