cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build. Powered up, OS Installed. Now turns on for .5 sec & turns off immedietely.

Wolfaen
Level 7
Hey guys,

I'm in desperate need of help. I built a new computer over the weekend and did the first power up test and everything ran great. Posted to bios, set memory speed, noted CPU functioning, saved bios and restarted. Booted up great so I installed Windows 10. Everything was functioning perfectly so I shut down and did some final cable management. After I was done managing cables and zip tying cables down I tried to boot again. Now when I press the start button everything turns on for less than a second and turns off immediately.

Things I have tried:

-Checked all power cables to make sure everything is seated securely.

-Checked for any loose screws.

-Uninstalled GPU and SSD, but pc still failed to boot longer than .5 seconds.

-Tested PSU with paperclip test with just fans connected and it worked. All fans powered up.

-Tried uninstalling 1 of 2 sticks of RAM, but same issue.

Specs:

Intel i7-8086k

ASUS ROG Z390-E

Corsair Vengeance 2x8 DDR4 3600

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD

EVGA RTX 2080

EVGA 850w P2

NZXT 360mm AIO (Using different fans not connected to cooler fan wires)

Corsair Crystal 570x

Wondering if possibly my motherboard is failing? The RGB lights on my MB light up when PSU is turned on, not sure if this is an indication if it is working or not though. Please if you have any ideas I'm desperate to figure out if a part is failing or if it is something simple that I am overlooking.
16 REPLIES 16

HiVizMan
Level 40
When you were neatening up the cable I am fairly sure that some connector was moved. Check the plastic connector blocks on the PSU and the motherboard connectors. Sometimes it just takes a slight shift of the metal inserts to cock everything up mate.

If all else fails, strip the board and start again.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

davemon50
Level 11
Agree, seems likely cables got pulled or twisted wrong. One thing that could happen in your final cable management is you could've gotten metal on metal somewhere and caused a temporary short on the board. Reshifting everything to preclude that could help.
Davemon50

Hey guys, got it fixed! To anyone that may be having this issue in the future, I fixed it by clearing the CMOS.

I think it may have been the RAM timings or voltage that were set wrong in the bios that wouldn't let it boot. I used the auto feature to set the RAM timings after choosing 3600 frequency and I think that caused the issue. I'll do it manually next time. I'm fairly new to overclocking components so I'll have to take it slow. Question is, will this happen every time something is set wrong in the bios while tweaking settings?

Regardless, thank you and all else who gave suggestions. I'm beyond relieved to have it working again.

davemon50
Level 11
Awesome, looks like the wiring was a coincidence. 🙂 My overclock initially was unstable over 3000 and I didn't want to mess with it anymore so I just left it at that. Beforehand I was getting odd lockups and/or shutdowns on my system too, even though able to boot initially. Glad you got that working.

So how's the new rig? 😄
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Awesome, looks like the wiring was a coincidence. 🙂 My overclock initially was unstable over 3000 and I didn't want to mess with it anymore so I just left it at that. Beforehand I was getting odd lockups and/or shutdowns on my system too, even though able to boot initially. Glad you got that working.

So how's the new rig? 😄

I'm a bit worried about that too. I don't have a lot of experience with overclocking so I don't know how my system will react. I don't want to have to clear CMOS every time something gets set wrong!

I haven't got to test it too much. All I had time for last night after getting it working again was updating windows and starting to get drivers installed. I hope to do some gaming tonight though! Can't wait to see what my performance is like compared to my old build.

davemon50 wrote:
If you have two monitors, put up some monitoring software while you are gaming and keep your eye on things, temps for example. In case you see things acting weird.

Actually that is a good point. I do have two monitors. Do you have a recommended software that keeps track of temps for CPU, GPU, etc.? I don't know of good one that monitors everything.

davemon50
Level 11
If you have two monitors, put up some monitoring software while you are gaming and keep your eye on things, temps for example. In case you see things acting weird.
Davemon50

davemon50
Level 11
You will get a lot of answers on this forum for that question, lol. Probably all will be correct.

When I'm gaming on the desktop I have gotten in the habit of putting up my Radeon software (my cards are R9 Fury cards) and keeping an eye on power consumption and card temps. I also monitor system temps with AI Suite. HWinfo. HWmonitor. AIDA64. Speedfan. Also Windows has built in basic monitoring software in the Task Manager.
Davemon50