cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero Issues (No post code, CPU led)

bugme-not
Level 7
Hello guys!

I recently tried to update the bios of my VIII Hero using bios flashback.

The first flashing process went fine, but the features I was looking for were not unlocked, so I tried to flash to an older bios version.

Unfortunately, I forgot to reset my bios prior to flashing so the computer did not boot properly after bios flashback completed its job. I reacted without thinking and powered the pc down.

After this, the motherboard stopped booting: the leds on the rgb heatsink still work, but the red cpu led is on and the post code displays nothing.

I have all ready tried all of the components on another computer so I know 100% that the issue is with the motherboard.

Also, I assumed that the bios was corrupt so I ordered a replacement bios chip, this unfortunately did not solve the problem.

Is it time to move on to another motherboard or is there still hope?

Any help is appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
You should have been able to use the BIOS flashback method - usb port and button on the back of the board to recover the bios after the fail.

Resetting bios is not going to make any difference prior to flashing bios by the way.

Post up a picture of your CPU socket please. I wonder if there are a few pins bent.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

bugme-not
Level 7
Thanks for the response!

The pins on the socket are in perfect condition, not one pin is bent (I was not able to upload a picture from my computer). I also reseated the cpu, but this did not help.

As for the flashing process: I tried the flashback method using a usb drive and the button on the back of the board.

The led in the button kept flashing till the process was finished, but after hitting the power button I still get the same issue 😞

I removed as many components/cables as possible and used the power button on the motherboard instead of the one on the case, just to eliminate any issues this could cause.