cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix 1080ti OC thermal paste

-javier-
Level 7
Guys, so I currently have an Asus Strix 1080ti oc and I wanted to change the thermal paste on my GPU, but i notice it has a warranty sticker if I temper with it will my warranty be void for changing the thermal paste?
6 REPLIES 6

XYchromosone
Level 10
-javier- wrote:
Guys, so I currently have an Asus Strix 1080ti oc and I wanted to change the thermal paste on my GPU, but i notice it has a warranty sticker if I temper with it will my warranty be void for changing the thermal paste?

The sticker speaks for itself, so yes, your warranty will be void for changing the thermal compound.

XYchromosone wrote:
The sticker speaks for itself, so yes, your warranty will be void for changing the thermal compound.

then explain this ????
https://www.asus.com/support/images/upload/file/20180724103133117_Summary%20of%20Updates%20to%20the%...

-javier- wrote:
then explain this ????
https://www.asus.com/support/images/upload/file/20180724103133117_Summary%20of%20Updates%20to%20the%...

That's an interesting update which relates to or ASUS has aimed it at the USA. Local laws always have the final say regarding warranty status of a commercial product for sale. E.g., here in Australia beginning in the early 1990s, small and even large PC builders used to put such a sticker at the back of the PC case that stuck over the end of the side panel and to the rear panel. The sticker would rip if the PC case's side panel was removed. The sticker stated that if it was broken, any warranty would be void. However, local laws overwrite that company[ies] "policy". That [false] claim meant that if I was to update my PC by adding a modem or a GPU or open the case to clean out dust etc., which would of course rip the sticker, then any warranty would be void. The claim simply did not and does not "stick" here in Australia.

I guess that this is similar to the sticker you mentioned you saw on the GPU heatsink. To me, it appears that the original company "policy" was updated and made void regarding their warranty status in USA, but ASUS makes it appear in their warranty update as though they have made an amendment to the USA's warranty policy regarding warranty stickers, where in fact I would think that local laws in USA already protect individuals from companies who try such warranty sticker tacktricks, similar to the Australian law.

The claim is stating that an individual can make a repair [which might rip any warranty sticker] but if the repair results in braking something then ASUS is not responsible. oh...really!!

Vlada011
Level 10
Maybe they change warranty for US because EVGA is there.
But I doubt they will change percent of Americans because they have deep faith in EVGA and they not like ASUS technical support.
ASUS could change maybe something in Europe, because more and more Europeans turn to EVGA.
because EVGA is available as well in Europe and customers will probably pay 30-40 euro more if they have warranty and permission to install waterblock.

I'm satisfied with ASUS Poseidon because now I found cheaper GTX1080Ti used, and didn't had reason to search for EVGA models with available waterblocks But if I need to buy new card and she don't have installed waterblock and one give warranty for water cooling and other not chance to buy brand who don't give warranty is zero.
Even if I need to pay more for absolutely same FE models.
50 euro more, OK no problems.

JustinThyme
Level 13
-javier- wrote:

If you reside in the US they wont void your warranty based on the seal on the screw. They do reserve the right to not honor the warranty if they determine (whether or not the determination is accurate or not) any damage was caused by anyone other than an authorized serviced center. I've been fortunate enough to only have one failed card ever and it was within a few days of receipt. I've been doing exclusively water cooled for some time but always run them as they came out of the box for at least a week before pulling them apart and installing a water block.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
...... I've been doing exclusively water cooled for some time but always run them as they came out of the box for at least a week before pulling them apart and installing a water block.

That's a wise thing to do, at least if you have a DOA or a product that has a weakness that would brake very early on the warranty will cover you for sure.