cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix 1080 monitor HDMI off then on

SirWaWa
Level 7
Brand new build and sometimes randomly my display on monitor 1 will go off then on for like 1-2 seconds. Happens at desktop and monitor 2 is fine, both are hooked up HDMI to strix 1080. I re-seated the cable but we'll see. I suspect firefox maybe the culprit? Display driver does not crash. If it did both my monitors would go black but monitor 2 does not. I checked history and no record of nvidia display driver recovery.
Win 10 pro 1809
Nvidia driver 398.82

Prior to this build I was using these in a older build hooked up DVI and never had these problems.

Any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

davemon50
Level 11
The cable is suspect. Even new cables can be an issue. Try switching the cables between the two monitors (at both ends, completely swap) and see if that changes the behavior. Also try new cable entirely, and a short one if possible. Not all HDMI cables are created equal. What resolution are you running?

If that doesn't help, are you OC'ing the card? Try running at stock speed and checking behavior after that too.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
The cable is suspect. Even new cables can be an issue. Try switching the cables between the two monitors (at both ends, completely swap) and see if that changes the behavior. Also try new cable entirely, and a short one if possible. Not all HDMI cables are created equal. What resolution are you running?

If that doesn't help, are you OC'ing the card? Try running at stock speed and checking behavior after that too.

that's what I was planning on doing
swapping the two cables and see if monitor 2 acts up
after re-seating and re-organizing some cables i'm gonna just observe a while before I swap if necessary
If verified I'll try a new cable
I cannot replicate the situation, atleast I haven't figured out how too
I am not OC'ing the card, factory OC, it's the A8G version
I really hope it's not the GPU, that's basically brand new too
I'm running 1080p

SirWaWa
Level 7
I swapped the cables like suggested and monitor 1 still went off then on
monitor 2 was fine, no crashing

davemon50
Level 11
Switched both ends of cable right? Different port on card as well as to different monitor? Have you tried a different connection type with your new configuration, e.g. DP or mini-DP?
Davemon50

SirWaWa
Level 7
yes, both end of cables, different ports
i'm gonna try one more test, i'm gonna use monitor 2 this time
it happens when i'm web browsing, haven't seen it happen in games
the last thing i can try is using my hdmi to dvi adapter
this monitor only has hdmi or dvi but then i lose 75hz if i switch to dvi, it'll just be 60hz
last resort suggestion i could try is getting dp then a dp to hdmi adapter

Dante
Level 7
Hi guys, just to share, I'm havong the same issue during these days.
After a couple of months it started with my Strix GTX 1070 ti with 2 monitors in HDMI.
Is it possible to be due to a software upgrade (drivers or win)?

davemon50
Level 11
Do you havppen to have a link to the spec page for your HDMI cables that you can share?

Also why are you losing 75 Hz with DVI ? DVI-D will allow you 144 Hz, or do you have a limitation at the monitor?
Davemon50

SirWaWa
Level 7
this is a freesync monitor by LG
it states that in order to use freesync @ 75hz the input has to be hdmi
I used to run dvi on this in my previous rig and only got 60hz
i believe these are just hdmi made by elite

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi everyone,

If you use FreeSync (AMD) / Adaptive-Sync (VESA) monitors with your NVIDIA graphics cards, remember to disable FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync via the OSD settings menu of the monitors to avoid black screen issue or others screen issues.