cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC Booting up in 3 tries.

Crimson_Specter
Level 7
So I just built a new PC, and while everything works fine once it's started, for some reason it's taking 3 tries to boot up (doesn't happen when you reset/restart it). On its first ever boot, it also took 3 tries, but was able to boot properly on the first try after that, but now it's taking 3 tries again. It's like fans spin up for 1 second, then it shuts down, then that happens again, and then it finally boots up properly on the third try. I tried resetting BIOS too, and also tried resetting CMOS cell, really can't figure out if there's any setting that I should change (because I've tried everything I could think of), or it's because of power supply (which I've tested, it works fine on another system). I think it's the motherboard that might be causing this issue.

Here's my specs:

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, latest BIOS
Corsair RM850x
Core i9 9900K
MSI RTX 2080 Ti (vertically mounted using Cooler Master vertical GPU mount)
512 GB Samsung M.2 SATA SSD (960 Evo, I guess), 2 x 3 TB WD HDDs
2 x 8 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MHz RAM
Cooler Master ML360R AIO cooler
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Additional Corsair LL120 fans + ARGB LED Strip
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
I can only assume that your system is retraining the memory and reestablishing handshake with all the hardware.

Confirm that you are powering down completely and that there is no issue with sleep and reawaken from sleep mode.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I can only assume that your system is retraining the memory and reestablishing handshake with all the hardware.

Confirm that you are powering down completely and that there is no issue with sleep and reawaken from sleep mode.

Thanks for the reply, I checked that I am doing everything properly, and that power is being supplied properly. It wakes up on first try if I power it down and don't cut the power supply to the motherboard off. Also tried changing the power cable, and connecting directly to the mains, without the UPS in between. I also tried removing both the RAM sticks, and in that case, it takes 2 tries to reach to a state where all the fans are spinning, plugging in RAM again makes it 3 (if it was a single try without RAM, I could conclude that the problem was with RAM). The MemOK switch is ON, which I checked is the default (which also shouldn't create issues AFAIK, as retraining memory takes ~30 seconds as per the manual).

HiVizMan
Level 40
When you do a full power down, the system has a built in fail safe whereby it does a complete UEFI handshake with all hardware and retrains the memory. You can disable the retrain the memory part. Or not power down completely.

I only ever use sleep mode personally and do a reboot/reset once a month when I allow updates.

In other words your system is doing what it was designed to do.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
When you do a full power down, the system has a built in fail safe whereby it does a complete UEFI handshake with all hardware and retrains the memory. You can disable the retrain the memory part. Or not power down completely.

I only ever use sleep mode personally and do a reboot/reset once a month when I allow updates.

In other words your system is doing what it was designed to do.

Thanks for the info, someone told me that (newer) ASUS motherboards on the higher end do this to charge up the capacitors to help with extreme overclocking? Is that true? Will also try disabling MemOK later as it's impossible to reach to it without removing my vertical GPU completely.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please do disable the re-mapping of memory each time it will help. But unless you really need to for hardware safety sake (some places I have lived I would not leave a kettle plugged in) it is often better to leave your system in sleep mode rather than power it down.

JustinThyme
Level 13
This is normal behavior on either first boot or after removing the 5V standby. Every thing get initalized again. MOBO goes looking for whats connected and gets everything configured.

The capacitor charging story is pretty funny....

As for poor power issues invest in a decent pure sinewave ups or at least a good TVSS suppressor so you dont have to unplug. I shut mine down completely when Im done but never pull the power plug unless Im digging in the box. Being in the critical power business I have a nice dual conversion online UPS good for running this power hog machine of mine for at least 20 mins after power loss at full load.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks, I tried disabling MemOK button, and it still boots in 3 tries. My previous ASUS B150 Pro gaming didn't do that, so it doesn't feel quite normal. I do have a good quality UPS, I just prefer turning it off completely. Well, I guess I'd just keep using it like this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crimson_Specter wrote:
Thanks, I tried disabling MemOK button, and it still boots in 3 tries. My previous ASUS B150 Pro gaming didn't do that, so it doesn't feel quite normal. I do have a good quality UPS, I just prefer turning it off completely. Well, I guess I'd just keep using it like this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's what I do and eventually it works without retrying again, hope it works on you too.

kentukky
Level 7
Oh dear... After years I came again to ROG Forums, only to make sure that I'm not alone with this problem. And once again I see people, protecting crappy BIOS and firmware of Asus.
I already had this "double boot" problem on my previous board (Sabertooth P67), but back then Asus confirmed it as an issue and released updated BIOS. Afterwards I was happy.

Now, in November 2018 I built a new system with a ROG Z390-F Gaming board. And guess what - double boot once again. So, don't listen to people saying "It's normal". They are either fanboys or hidden agents from Asus. Double boot isn't normal and should be fixed with new BIOS revisions. Let's wait and see what happens...