Mainboard: ROG STRIX x399-E
    CPU: AMD Ryzen TR 1950X
    RAM: 2x 16GB @3000MHz
    SSD (OS):970EVO 500GB
    SSD (Data): 960EVO 250GB
    Ext. HDD (Data): Seagate USB 3.0 3TB
    GPU: Asus GeForce 1080

Problem:
    When booting up the Computer (AC was off before) it takes about 30-40 seconds to boot into the windows login screen.
    Only setting I've changes is the RAM Profile which is set to XMP-Profile (3000MHz), default was 2333Mhz.
    Once booted the system is fast and has no issues. When turning on the Computer I get the very fist beep sounds 15 secounds after I pressed the button, my old systemen needed 3 seconds to do this.

I would very much appriciate any advise if possible.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

I do not have that motherboard but I am sure there is a setting that allows your system to not have to retrain the memory each time. That is what the 15 secs most likely is. Unless you have a usb storage device connected to your PC. I found that to be an issue with one of my system at home.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Hi @AMHiVizMan
    I found your answer helpfull and was able to further search the asus-forum with your help..
    I found https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ld-Boot-Issues

"My understanding of MRC Fastboot is that you are skipping memory training if you enable it. You only want to do so once you are sure your memory settings and sticks themselves are stable so try disable first. MCH Fullcheck will cause the system to reboot, retraining the memory until it is stable. Disabled will likely result in a failure to post if something is causing instability."
    by @redone13 post #6

Will definitely double check that today evening.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Cheers Schlumpf do let me know how it works for you.

Thanks for posting back.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

So I just double checked if there is a setting described before.
    Unfortunately I cound't find such a setting (or a similar one). The only setting I found regarding any tests was a SATA self test.
    But disabling this option didn't solve the problem, nothing has changed.

BTW it always felt like 15 seconds until the computer does anything at all (beep) but it's actually 30 seconds, then another 15 for the post screen and about 10 secounds to load into windows.
    Does anybody know where I can find self-test option within the UEFI?
    Last edited by Schlumpf; 12-04-2018 at 08:52 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Same for me, it takes about 40 secs to boot, I have a NVME and 1950x.
    I disabled fastboot tho, so I'll enable it and let you know during the weekend if I see any improvements.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

Ryzen/Threadripper is slow to POST. Regardless of Fastboot setting used in UEFI and or Window Fast Startup.

Even with 1x GPU and SATA drive I can see ~50sec POST time from pressing power and getting to desktop.

If AC is removed from motherboard prior to POST then it will do a POST to set onboard ECs then turn off and do another POST before it get to OS. So even slower.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

ROG Member Array

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    Ryzen/Threadripper is slow to POST. Regardless of Fastboot setting used in UEFI and or Window Fast Startup.

Even with 1x GPU and SATA drive I can see ~50sec POST time from pressing power and getting to desktop.

If AC is removed from motherboard prior to POST then it will do a POST to set onboard ECs then turn off and do another POST before it get to OS. So even slower.
    Really sad to hear, I didn't expect such a costly mainboard for such high-end hardware to be that slow. Understandable if the mainboard is doing RAM checks or whatever, but weired that (appernetly) there is no option to disable these kind of tests.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

The POST process does entail training, etc.

Currently on my mobile device, but will link a post from a good authority on information. RAM training is complex on Ryzen. I have not owned HEDT Intel, but from posts I have read on say X99 it wasn't very quick either. Dunno about X299.

Have you tried using Sleep? system POST's very fast on resume. Power usage in sleep is extremely low.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    The POST process does entail training, etc.

Currently on my mobile device, but will link a post from a good authority on information. RAM training is complex on Ryzen. I have not owned HEDT Intel, but from posts I have read on say X99 it wasn't very quick either. Dunno about X299.

Have you tried using Sleep? system POST's very fast on resume. Power usage in sleep is extremely low.
    I always shutdown the computer completely, there is no option for me to use sleep mode since I plug out the cord everytime I am not on my computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast