Mainboard: ROG STRIX x399-E
CPU: AMD Ryzen TR 1950X
RAM: 2x 16GB @3000MHz
SSD (OS):970EVO 500GB
SSD (Data): 960EVO 250GB
Ext. HDD (Data): Seagate USB 3.0 3TB
GPU: Asus GeForce 1080

Problem:
When booting up the Computer (AC was off before) it takes about 30-40 seconds to boot into the windows login screen.
Only setting I've changes is the RAM Profile which is set to XMP-Profile (3000MHz), default was 2333Mhz.
Once booted the system is fast and has no issues. When turning on the Computer I get the very fist beep sounds 15 secounds after I pressed the button, my old systemen needed 3 seconds to do this.

I would very much appriciate any advise if possible.
14 REPLIES 14

HiVizMan
Level 40
I do not have that motherboard but I am sure there is a setting that allows your system to not have to retrain the memory each time. That is what the 15 secs most likely is. Unless you have a usb storage device connected to your PC. I found that to be an issue with one of my system at home. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi @AMHiVizMan
I found your answer helpfull and was able to further search the asus-forum with your help..
I found https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96482-Cold-Boot-Issues

"My understanding of MRC Fastboot is that you are skipping memory training if you enable it. You only want to do so once you are sure your memory settings and sticks themselves are stable so try disable first. MCH Fullcheck will cause the system to reboot, retraining the memory until it is stable. Disabled will likely result in a failure to post if something is causing instability."
by @redone13 post #6

Will definitely double check that today evening.

Schlumpf wrote:
Hi @AMHiVizMan
I found your answer helpfull and was able to further search the asus-forum with your help..
I found https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96482-Cold-Boot-Issues

"My understanding of MRC Fastboot is that you are skipping memory training if you enable it. You only want to do so once you are sure your memory settings and sticks themselves are stable so try disable first. MCH Fullcheck will cause the system to reboot, retraining the memory until it is stable. Disabled will likely result in a failure to post if something is causing instability."
by @redone13 post #6

Will definitely double check that today evening.

I have Asus RoG Zenith extreme Alpha Mobo and can't find either of these settings in the BIOS. maybe they are named differently. I tried tech support, they tell me to run Memtest86 on all my modules; I believe this is the problem. Thank you, Chris

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers Schlumpf do let me know how it works for you.

Thanks for posting back.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

So I just double checked if there is a setting described before.
Unfortunately I cound't find such a setting (or a similar one). The only setting I found regarding any tests was a SATA self test.
But disabling this option didn't solve the problem, nothing has changed.

BTW it always felt like 15 seconds until the computer does anything at all (beep) but it's actually 30 seconds, then another 15 for the post screen and about 10 secounds to load into windows.
Does anybody know where I can find self-test option within the UEFI?

dboris
Level 7
Same for me, it takes about 40 secs to boot, I have a NVME and 1950x.
I disabled fastboot tho, so I'll enable it and let you know during the weekend if I see any improvements.

gupsterg
Level 13
Ryzen/Threadripper is slow to POST. Regardless of Fastboot setting used in UEFI and or Window Fast Startup.

Even with 1x GPU and SATA drive I can see ~50sec POST time from pressing power and getting to desktop.

If AC is removed from motherboard prior to POST then it will do a POST to set onboard ECs then turn off and do another POST before it get to OS. So even slower.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Ryzen/Threadripper is slow to POST. Regardless of Fastboot setting used in UEFI and or Window Fast Startup.

Even with 1x GPU and SATA drive I can see ~50sec POST time from pressing power and getting to desktop.

If AC is removed from motherboard prior to POST then it will do a POST to set onboard ECs then turn off and do another POST before it get to OS. So even slower.

Really sad to hear, I didn't expect such a costly mainboard for such high-end hardware to be that slow. Understandable if the mainboard is doing RAM checks or whatever, but weired that (appernetly) there is no option to disable these kind of tests.

gupsterg
Level 13
The POST process does entail training, etc.

Currently on my mobile device, but will link a post from a good authority on information. RAM training is complex on Ryzen. I have not owned HEDT Intel, but from posts I have read on say X99 it wasn't very quick either. Dunno about X299.

Have you tried using Sleep? system POST's very fast on resume. Power usage in sleep is extremely low.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video