cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GX501 //keyboard and the lights problems

liviu_a2003
Level 8
Hello,

I have a ASUS GX501 (Zephyrus) laptop bought about 8 mouths ago.
OS Win10/64 bit

Few days ago I started to have the following problems:

- all the lights are off (start button, keyboard, pad, air vents). Is on only the status led. The start button is working, the keyboard no.
- the keyboard is not working (in BIOS and in Windows) but the PAD is working in both)
(Who don't know the model should to know that is a button who make the change between Pad and the right numbers. So the Pad works but the numbers don't.)
-I cannot to switch between keyboard numbers and PAD, so only the PAD works
-The keyboard drivers works fine, I uninstall them and the system was able to install them back
-I can use a USB keyboard
-The diagnose program show me a large number of failure for a program named Auralisten.exe
- I never update myself BIOS (I have the laptop since March 2018) but now I can see my BIOS version as 903.
The version is since 10.09.2018 which means a program upgrade it automatically and without my permission.

Any help will be useful. Anybody had this issues? The Asus support is a bad joke.

Thank you
23 REPLIES 23

thwyster1
Level 7
liviu_a2003 wrote:
Hello,

I have a ASUS GX501 (Zephyrus) laptop bought about 8 mouths ago.
OS Win10/64 bit

Few days ago I started to have the following problems:

- all the lights are off (start button, keyboard, pad, air vents). Is on only the status led. The start button is working, the keyboard no.
- the keyboard is not working (in BIOS and in Windows) but the PAD is working in both)
(Who don't know the model should to know that is a button who make the change between Pad and the right numbers. So the Pad works but the numbers don't.)
-I cannot to switch between keyboard numbers and PAD, so only the PAD works
-The keyboard drivers works fine, I uninstall them and the system was able to install them back
-I can use a USB keyboard
-The diagnose program show me a large number of failure for a program named Auralisten.exe
- I never update myself BIOS (I have the laptop since March 2018) but now I can see my BIOS version as 903.
The version is since 10.09.2018 which means a program upgrade it automatically and without my permission.

Any help will be useful. Anybody had this issues? The Asus support is a bad joke.

Thank you

Hello, I had the same problem that you now in late October, my bios updated, and my keyboard stopped working, problem identical to yours, same symptoms, only the touchpad works.

I also noticed that my gtx 1080 video card only stays in economical mode, it is as if the notebook did not identify that it is connected to power, did you have this problem?

I noticed that the fps of the games fell drastically, F1 2017 now runs between 15-40 FPS before it was 120

Dota 2 between 40-60 fps, before it was running at 150fps.

I tried to contact with the asus, but they did not know how to help, I can not believe that a notebook of this cost simply stops working soon after a bios update

thwyster1 wrote:
Hello, I had the same problem that you now in late October, my bios updated, and my keyboard stopped working, problem identical to yours, same symptoms, only the touchpad works.

I also noticed that my gtx 1080 video card only stays in economical mode, it is as if the notebook did not identify that it is connected to power, did you have this problem?

I noticed that the fps of the games fell drastically, F1 2017 now runs between 15-40 FPS before it was 120

Dota 2 between 40-60 fps, before it was running at 150fps.

I tried to contact with the asus, but they did not know how to help, I can not believe that a notebook of this cost simply stops working soon after a bios update

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,
I did not have too much time to run the computer in game mode.
Show me how you checked the video card and I will try to check mine in this week end.
Then I will let you know.

Problems with multiple hardware equipment in the same time means Motherboard problems or BIOS problems from my point of view.

Regards

liviu_a2003 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for your reply,
I did not have too much time to run the computer in game mode.
Show me how you checked the video card and I will try to check mine in this week end.
Then I will let you know.

Problems with multiple hardware equipment in the same time means Motherboard problems or BIOS problems from my point of view.

Regards

Try performing a performance test with 3DMark11

Direct link to download:
https://benchmarks.ul.com/downloads/3dmark11.zip

My here was between 3500 - 4000 Points, the Zephyrus with GTX 1080 should be between 12000-14000

For you to have an idea, my old Dell Gamer with a 960M got a better score than the Zephyrus.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hugs

thwyster1 wrote:
Try performing a performance test with 3DMark11

Direct link to download:
https://benchmarks.ul.com/downloads/3dmark11.zip

My here was between 3500 - 4000 Points, the Zephyrus with GTX 1080 should be between 12000-14000

For you to have an idea, my old Dell Gamer with a 960M got a better score than the Zephyrus.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hugs

OK.

My score looks to be 4500, very low too.
This is what you talk about?
I added a new picture.

liviu_a2003 wrote:
OK.

My score looks to be 4500, very low too.
This is what you talk about?
I added a new picture.

Exactly, your GPU is probably not working at its full power!

According to the forum notebook check the score of zephyrus with GTX 1080 on 3DMark11 was 23540 points:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-GX501-Laptop-Review.230546.0.html

Could you do another test?
I believe that if you open the Rog Gaming Center, the ECO MODE box will be on, but in read-only mode, you have not been able to switch to OFF, you could check and print a print of the Rog Gaminc Center home screen.

Summarizing beyond the Keyboard, Ledz did not work, its video card which is one of the best and most expensive, now performs less than a board 5 years ago.

History...
Before this problem happened, I had already noticed that the GTX 1080 did not fulfill its full potential when the notebook was closed!

Probably the Asus engineers have made some lock or safety sensor, so the GPU does not have maximum strength so not heating too much, since the cooling system only stays open with the notebook lid open.

Remember that when this notebook was open, there were two red lower leds that get access when the notebook was plugged.

After the BIOS update that damaged the keyboard and ledz, the lower LEDs do not turn on any more, even with the notebook plugged in, I believe there is some hardware lock that thinks the notebook is closed, and do not let the GPU have maximum strength not to heat the notebook.

thwyster1 wrote:
Exactly, your GPU is probably not working at its full power!

According to the forum notebook check the score of zephyrus with GTX 1080 on 3DMark11 was 23540 points:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-GX501-Laptop-Review.230546.0.html

Could you do another test?
I believe that if you open the Rog Gaming Center, the ECO MODE box will be on, but in read-only mode, you have not been able to switch to OFF, you could check and print a print of the Rog Gaminc Center home screen.

Summarizing beyond the Keyboard, Ledz did not work, its video card which is one of the best and most expensive, now performs less than a board 5 years ago.

History...
Before this problem happened, I had already noticed that the GTX 1080 did not fulfill its full potential when the notebook was closed!

Probably the Asus engineers have made some lock or safety sensor, so the GPU does not have maximum strength so not heating too much, since the cooling system only stays open with the notebook lid open.

Remember that when this notebook was open, there were two red lower leds that get access when the notebook was plugged.

After the BIOS update that damaged the keyboard and ledz, the lower LEDs do not turn on any more, even with the notebook plugged in, I believe there is some hardware lock that thinks the notebook is closed, and do not let the GPU have maximum strength not to heat the notebook.

Hi,

I will do the test. The problem with the BIOS update is that is not so easy return to the previous version.

http://www.rgstuff.ro/cum-aducem-bios-ul-la-o-versiune-mai-veche/

(use the automatically translate from Chrome to translate in EN)

I also checked the American Megatrends page but at least for EU countries they said to discuss with the producer of the laptop.
How you probable saw, Asus support are some unprofessional guys.

liviu_a2003 wrote:
Hi,

I will do the test. The problem with the BIOS update is that is not so easy return to the previous version.

http://www.rgstuff.ro/cum-aducem-bios-ul-la-o-versiune-mai-veche/

(use the automatically translate from Chrome to translate in EN)

I also checked the American Megatrends page but at least for EU countries they said to discuss with the producer of the laptop.
How you probable saw, Asus support are some unprofessional guys.

Yes, asus support does not help much.

Downgrading the BIOS is not difficult, but I think it does not work, in summary, open the winflash program by CMD using the program's physical path and add / nodate at the end

you should look for an earlier version of the BIOS. 306 for example

Video Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-NB2JkTCd8

I try contact American Megatrend but I receive this aswer:

Thank you for contacting AMI Tech Support,

According to the information you’ve provided, the manufacturer of your system is Asus. Unless the system is manufactured by AMI, we are not authorized to provide support for it. The system manufacturers license our generic BIOS and modify it to fit their system motherboard specifications; thus, we do not have access to the changes made to the BIOS. For support, BIOS, and driver updates for your system, please contact your system manufacturer. You can also contact the place of purchase and inquire if they can provide assistance for you.

Regards,

thwyster1 wrote:
Yes, asus support does not help much.

Downgrading the BIOS is not difficult, but I think it does not work, in summary, open the winflash program by CMD using the program's physical path and add / nodate at the end

you should look for an earlier version of the BIOS. 306 for example

Video Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-NB2JkTCd8

I try contact American Megatrend but I receive this aswer:

Thank you for contacting AMI Tech Support,

According to the information you’ve provided, the manufacturer of your system is Asus. Unless the system is manufactured by AMI, we are not authorized to provide support for it. The system manufacturers license our generic BIOS and modify it to fit their system motherboard specifications; thus, we do not have access to the changes made to the BIOS. For support, BIOS, and driver updates for your system, please contact your system manufacturer. You can also contact the place of purchase and inquire if they can provide assistance for you.

Regards,

Indeed, the ECO Mode is read only.
From my point of view I contacted the supplier and the local Asus and I asked to be change the laptop with a new one.
Course they did not want to hear about. Now I am prepare to hire a layer and if is necessary I will start an action in justice.

liviu_a2003 wrote:
Indeed, the ECO Mode is read only.
From my point of view I contacted the supplier and the local Asus and I asked to be change the laptop with a new one.
Course they did not want to hear about. Now I am prepare to hire a layer and if is necessary I will start an action in justice.

Yes, I'm thinking the same my notebook went out of warranty now in August, there in October comes a BIOS update is tinny the notebook, this is a crime.

To make matters worse I'm in Brazil, here a notebook of this comes to cost the price of a car, and of course I had to make the purchase in the US that comes to cost almost 4x less.

Now Asus Brazil throws the problem to Asus USA and Asus USA throws the problem to ASUS Brazil.

But I believe you also have to file a lawsuit.