Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    ROG Strix GL702ZC Upgrade Parts of SSD need help fidning right one for this model.

    I plan on getting the HDD Seagate 1TB to a 2TB SSD what type of SSD should I got for?and Can I transfer my data and downloads on my original HDD to the new SSD?after I have removed my HDD from my pc and put in the new SSD in it's place...there is a way you can transfer data and downloads to the new drive I think...and save having to re-download all over again...how Do I do this?

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    73

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentHunk View Post
    I plan on getting the HDD Seagate 1TB to a 2TB SSD what type of SSD should I got for?and Can I transfer my data and downloads on my original HDD to the new SSD?after I have removed my HDD from my pc and put in the new SSD in it's place...there is a way you can transfer data and downloads to the new drive I think...and save having to re-download all over again...how Do I do this?
    I would suggest getting the following:
    Crucial MX500 CT2000MX500SSD1(Z) 2 TB Internal SSD (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch)

    Its one of the cheapest and fastest 2TB SSD sata drives available (though you might want to wait for next year or closer to the holidays for the prices to drop).
    Black friday saw a price decrease, but its likely to come down to a more reasonable price next year.

    As for transferring files from the HDD to SSD... you could get an external USB SATA enclosure, put the HDD into that, and just transfer the files over USB.
    Last edited by deksman2; 12-05-2018 at 10:21 PM.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by deksman2 View Post
    I would suggest getting the following:
    Crucial MX500 CT2000MX500SSD1(Z) 2 TB Internal SSD (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch)

    Its one of the cheapest and fastest 2TB SSD sata drives available (though you might want to wait for next year or closer to the holidays for the prices to drop).
    Black friday saw a price decrease, but its likely to come down to a more reasonable price next year.

    As for transferring files from the HDD to SSD... you could get an external USB SATA enclosure, put the HDD into that, and just transfer the files over USB.
    So,everything on my Drive can be copied over????including installed games and apps?what about the desktop icons on my screen?

    An how do I even know if this one your recommending is going to fit and work in this laptop?

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    73

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentHunk View Post
    So,everything on my Drive can be copied over????including installed games and apps?what about the desktop icons on my screen?

    An how do I even know if this one your recommending is going to fit and work in this laptop?
    The Sata SSD drives are generally compatible with one another, and the size of the SSD drive in question (2 TB) fits the GL702ZC.
    As for how I know it will work... well, I upgraded my SSD 256GB to 500GB M.2. from Crucial, and that works fine.

    HDD to SSD change is usually painless and gets recognised by the system.

    If you keep your OS (Windows), installed games and software on the HDD right now, then you could Migrate the OS and everything on it on the SSD.
    I have never done an OS migration as I personally prefer to do a clean Windows install if I'm changing HDD to SSD or upgrading to higher capacity SSD... it just creates less of a headache for me since its clean and simple.

    Plus, I just save all of the games saves to a different location until I have a clean OS install in place and just reinstall everything and copy/paste the saves to their needed locations.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by deksman2 View Post
    The Sata SSD drives are generally compatible with one another, and the size of the SSD drive in question (2 TB) fits the GL702ZC.
    As for how I know it will work... well, I upgraded my SSD 256GB to 500GB M.2. from Crucial, and that works fine.

    HDD to SSD change is usually painless and gets recognised by the system.

    If you keep your OS (Windows), installed games and software on the HDD right now, then you could Migrate the OS and everything on it on the SSD.
    I have never done an OS migration as I personally prefer to do a clean Windows install if I'm changing HDD to SSD or upgrading to higher capacity SSD... it just creates less of a headache for me since its clean and simple.

    Plus, I just save all of the games saves to a different location until I have a clean OS install in place and just reinstall everything and copy/paste the saves to their needed locations.
    MY OS is on my C drive and all applications for cpu and benchmarking in on c

    everything else is on my D drive.games steam wargaming....I dont want to download all this again
    How do I copy them over to the new SSD once it is installed ?Do I need a specific cable connected to the HDD connected via usb port to copy them over to the SSD?

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    73

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentHunk View Post
    MY OS is on my C drive and all applications for cpu and benchmarking in on c

    everything else is on my D drive.games steam wargaming....I dont want to download all this again
    How do I copy them over to the new SSD once it is installed ?Do I need a specific cable connected to the HDD connected via usb port to copy them over to the SSD?
    Ok... let me ask you this:
    Is your C drive on a separate disk than D drive?
    Namely, is the C drive on the SSD, and D drive on the HDD?
    Remember that HDD's can be partitioned into multiple drives, hence why I'm asking.

    But generally speaking, you should be able to either clone or just copy/paste everything from existing D drive to say the SSD (don't quote me on this though as some programs might be broken by simply copy/pasting the stuff over... hence why data migration or cloning might work better).

    The only 2 things you will need are the new SSD 2TB drive and an external USB SATA enclosure (like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Too.../dp/B00OJ3UJ2S).
    You first put the SSD into the SATA enclosure, connect it to the laptop via the USB cable, and copy/paste the contents of the D drive to the SSD (or clone them - cloning might be preferable as I am not sure if simple copy/paste would preserve some stuff).
    After that's done, you just need to shut down the laptop, open it up and replace the HDD with the SSD.
    Or you can just put the SSD into the laptop first, then HDD into external enclosure and move everything to the SSD via migration/cloning or something else.

    You can also use something like this;
    https://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a...-re-1714706774

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by deksman2 View Post
    Ok... let me ask you this:
    Is your C drive on a separate disk than D drive?
    Namely, is the C drive on the SSD, and D drive on the HDD?
    Remember that HDD's can be partitioned into multiple drives, hence why I'm asking.

    But generally speaking, you should be able to either clone or just copy/paste everything from existing D drive to say the SSD (don't quote me on this though as some programs might be broken by simply copy/pasting the stuff over... hence why data migration or cloning might work better).

    The only 2 things you will need are the new SSD 2TB drive and an external USB SATA enclosure (like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Too.../dp/B00OJ3UJ2S).
    You first put the SSD into the SATA enclosure, connect it to the laptop via the USB cable, and copy/paste the contents of the D drive to the SSD (or clone them - cloning might be preferable as I am not sure if simple copy/paste would preserve some stuff).
    After that's done, you just need to shut down the laptop, open it up and replace the HDD with the SSD.
    Or you can just put the SSD into the laptop first, then HDD into external enclosure and move everything to the SSD via migration/cloning or something else.

    You can also use something like this;
    https://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a...-re-1714706774
    I have a C drive SSD 256GB and a 1TB HDD ...

    I want to copy my files and game apps like steam,uplay,armoredwarfare,world of warships...etc... over to the new drive once it is installed.
    the apps like cpuz and gpuz are on the c drive.

    games and movies and stuff on the D all game apps on D...


    put SSD into laptop first and close it up..then use the cable via USB connection and copy /paste via USB Port?

    the HDD does have a USB connection to use a cable to cable transfer right?Connect cable to HDD lay it next to laptop and transfer files to SSD via USB cable and USB Port?

    You do understand what I am saying right?how I want to do it?

    a usb cable connect it to the HDD and then plug that cable into laptop ..bam transfer...
    Last edited by AgentHunk; 12-14-2018 at 07:09 PM.

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by deksman2 View Post
    Ok... let me ask you this:
    Is your C drive on a separate disk than D drive?
    Namely, is the C drive on the SSD, and D drive on the HDD?
    Remember that HDD's can be partitioned into multiple drives, hence why I'm asking.

    But generally speaking, you should be able to either clone or just copy/paste everything from existing D drive to say the SSD (don't quote me on this though as some programs might be broken by simply copy/pasting the stuff over... hence why data migration or cloning might work better).

    The only 2 things you will need are the new SSD 2TB drive and an external USB SATA enclosure (like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Too.../dp/B00OJ3UJ2S).
    You first put the SSD into the SATA enclosure, connect it to the laptop via the USB cable, and copy/paste the contents of the D drive to the SSD (or clone them - cloning might be preferable as I am not sure if simple copy/paste would preserve some stuff).
    After that's done, you just need to shut down the laptop, open it up and replace the HDD with the SSD.
    Or you can just put the SSD into the laptop first, then HDD into external enclosure and move everything to the SSD via migration/cloning or something else.

    You can also use something like this;
    https://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a...-re-1714706774
    I just looked up the enclosure via youtube..I did not know it had a way to plug a HDD into it and via wire transfer to usb port..now I see..I just might get that online..ok,I bought me an enclosure new.

    now,Question is there other SSD options than the crucial one you posted?what other SSD 2TB can fit and be affordable besides crucial?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    seperate question related the main C drive SSD 256GB:Below

    What about the 256GB SSD? How do I go about transferring the OS and system stuff over to a new 2TB piece?How do I do this?
    Last edited by AgentHunk; 12-17-2018 at 01:50 AM.

  9. #9
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    73

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentHunk View Post
    I just looked up the enclosure via youtube..I did not know it had a way to plug a HDD into it and via wire transfer to usb port..now I see..I just might get that online..ok,I bought me an enclosure new.

    now,Question is there other SSD options than the crucial one you posted?what other SSD 2TB can fit and be affordable besides crucial?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    seperate question related the main C drive SSD 256GB:Below

    What about the 256GB SSD? How do I go about transferring the OS and system stuff over to a new 2TB piece?How do I do this?
    Hm... if you want to migrate your OS to the SSD, the procedure should be the same, however, bear in mind that by doing so, you might have to partition the SSD into C and D drive... so you would migrate the 256GB SSD contents onto the 2TB C partition, and repeat the migration of installs, games, etc. to the D partition.

    Also you might have to switch the bootable drive to SSD... but if you remove the M.2 ssd and just use the SATA ssd, it should be the only drive available.

    Some game installations etc. recognise being installed onto specific HDD etc. so migration or copying them onto the SSD might not be doable... in which case you might have to do a reinstall.

    As I said, I'm not an expert on this, but migration/cloning would usually do the trick in most cases.

    As for other options for 2TB SSD's besides Crucial... none that I know of which are affordable.
    Crucial seems to be the only cheapest option on the market (as far as I know) that offers similar speeds and quality/longevity to more expensive options.

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by deksman2 View Post
    Hm... if you want to migrate your OS to the SSD, the procedure should be the same, however, bear in mind that by doing so, you might have to partition the SSD into C and D drive... so you would migrate the 256GB SSD contents onto the 2TB C partition, and repeat the migration of installs, games, etc. to the D partition.

    Also you might have to switch the bootable drive to SSD... but if you remove the M.2 ssd and just use the SATA ssd, it should be the only drive available.

    Some game installations etc. recognise being installed onto specific HDD etc. so migration or copying them onto the SSD might not be doable... in which case you might have to do a reinstall.

    As I said, I'm not an expert on this, but migration/cloning would usually do the trick in most cases.

    As for other options for 2TB SSD's besides Crucial... none that I know of which are affordable.
    Crucial seems to be the only cheapest option on the market (as far as I know) that offers similar speeds and quality/longevity to more expensive options.
    NO,You are not understanding What I want to do...
    I do not want to touch my C: Drive .I am leaving my C: drive alone.

    I am migrating all installed games and steam,apps.on my D: Drive over to the new SSD.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •