cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor framerate on ASUS ROG STRIX 8GB RTX 2080 OC PCI Express Card

Check_Six
Level 7
I get very poor results when I run a benchmark test on a few games (but not another). On a few games (The Division, Ghost Recon Warrior) I get an average of 4 FPS (even on low settings), yet on Farcry 5 I get 50-60FPS on Ultra settings. What's going on? Can anyone solve this problem for me please?

My Rig:

Intel i7 8700K 3.70/4.70 GHz CPU
Coolermaster ML240L liquid cooler
ASUS H370 Pro-Gaming Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance pro 32GB RAM Kit
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB SSD
Seagate 8TB Ironwolf NAS SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
ASUS ROG STRIX 8GB RTX 2080 OC PCI Express Card
Inwin TUF Gaming Tower with Antec 750W 80+ Gold PSU
Integrated HD Audio Card
MS Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
ACER Predator X34P 34" Curved Monitor
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical Keyboard
Logitech Proteus Spectrum G502 Programmable Gaming Mouse
Cambridge 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio
Logitech G35 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Gaming Headset

This is a great rig by any standards, yet I have crappy framerate on all games except one. Can anyone pinpoint the problem, and possibly provide a solution?

Thanks in advance for all who answer.

Check Six
8 REPLIES 8

Check_Six
Level 7
This thread has had 99 views, and yet no-one can (or will) try to help. Do I need to give more information, is it too hard a question to ask? I'm really at my wit's end. I paid a LOT of money for this rig, and yet it can't play some old "favourites" and games I re-loaded just because they have a benchmark test. My old rig (running a GTX 950 on a BENQ 2420XL monitor) played them great.

I posted a similar question on the Acer Predator forum in the hope that a simple tweak of the monitor would work - no replies. I posted on Ubisoft's "The Division" forum in case an in-game setting would fix it - no replies. I posted it here - no replies.

Can ANYONE help me PLEASE?

Check Six

panzlock
Level 12
I don't know enough about it since I have very little interest in spending so much money on a card just for ray tracing, but do some of the titles you play allow ray tracing? In any case, turn DXR off and try it.

If this doesn't work, reinstall your drivers. Hopefully it's software and not hardware related.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Could be a number of things. I would consider formatting and reinstalling the OS if numerous games are causing you problems.

panzlock wrote:
I don't know enough about it since I have very little interest in spending so much money on a card just for ray tracing, but do some of the titles you play allow ray tracing? In any case, turn DXR off and try it.

If this doesn't work, reinstall your drivers. Hopefully it's software and not hardware related.

Nothing the OP has mentioned is using DXR.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

panzlock wrote:

panzlock,

I don't believe that any do utilise ray tracing, but I'm a total noob when discussing ray tracing. Can you tell me how I can enable/disable DXR so that at least I could TRY that.

silent scone,

Thanks for your input as well. I am running the latest drivers, utilising Display Port, have tried uninstalling and re-installing the troublesome games. I hope that it is just these two games that will give me trouble, as my "old rig" (I'm using it now) still has them loaded and works just fine, so I'm not going to "miss out" as such. I just want to optimise or tweak my new rig to get the best out of it before the new 2019 games come out.

Thanks for your help gents, I really appreciate your effort. My next attempt will be to disconnect DisplayPort and try these games just on HDMI (though I don't think it will be successful, I'm ready and willing to try anything).

Check Six

Check Six wrote:
panzlock,

I don't believe that any do utilise ray tracing, but I'm a total noob when discussing ray tracing. Can you tell me how I can enable/disable DXR so that at least I could TRY that.

silent scone,

Thanks for your input as well. I am running the latest drivers, utilising Display Port, have tried uninstalling and re-installing the troublesome games. I hope that it is just these two games that will give me trouble, as my "old rig" (I'm using it now) still has them loaded and works just fine, so I'm not going to "miss out" as such. I just want to optimise or tweak my new rig to get the best out of it before the new 2019 games come out.

Thanks for your help gents, I really appreciate your effort. My next attempt will be to disconnect DisplayPort and try these games just on HDMI (though I don't think it will be successful, I'm ready and willing to try anything).

Check Six

I'm pretty sure DXR can only be enabled/disabled within the games themselves, so if the games you play do not support DXR it shouldn't be on, and therefore should not be the cause.

I had this issue after installing drivers, once (12 fps no matter what). Updating the drivers did not help. I had to use DDU to clean drivers and then installed the latest non-problematic driver.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
I'm pretty sure DXR can only be enabled/disabled within the games themselves, so if the games you play do not support DXR it shouldn't be on, and therefore should not be the cause.

I had this issue after installing drivers, once (12 fps no matter what). Updating the drivers did not help. I had to use DDU to clean drivers and then installed the latest non-problematic driver.

panzlock,

I've messed about inside the video and graphics options a lot, so I know that DXR is not able to be de-selected there. I'll keep updating the drivers, and re-installing the games and hope that works. I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be the fault of my beast.

Thanks for your help mate. I appreciate it.

Check Six

Retired
Not applicable
I doubt it's the hardware although however if your system is overclocked, it does impact the performance on Windows setting's. Disable the overclock from the cpu & random access memory and test the game's you mentioned. If there will be no change's, I'm thinking that it might be the power supply. You might have to attach a more powerful unit, let's say around 1000 watts. Connecting to a HDMI port will a good idea to test if it helps. Check Asuses website for any new BIOS releases. Maybe there's a fix? 🙂

Rob_W_
Level 12
With the 2080ti I have found I can set the card up and pass many benches but then it won’t run sertain games, so I am continually adjusting the gpu Oc to get the poorer performing games to run at there optimum.
Maybe save settings as a profile when gaming?*
Edit, *basically test the game with different Gpu oc’s, this could be just isolated to those particular games and save the setting so you can switch to it before you load the game. *