cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVME Raid 0 on Maximus XI Hero

samsiuca
Level 8
Hello, I have 2x 970 Evos (accidentally bought 2 of them on a Black Friday sale), and I was wondering if the process of setting up a bootable Raid-0 array with them on a z390 Maximus XI Hero is still roughly the same (e.g. loading the intel RST drivers just before windows install) as described with this guide written 3 years ago for the Z170 series ?
9 REPLIES 9

saddameu
Level 7
samsiuca wrote:
Hello, I have 2x 970 Evos (accidentally bought 2 of them on a Black Friday sale), and I was wondering if the process of setting up a bootable Raid-0 array with them on a z390 Maximus XI Hero is still roughly the same (e.g. loading the intel RST drivers just before windows install) as described with this guide written 3 years ago for the Z170 series ?

you won't see any speed improvment with 2 nvme in raid 0, programs won't load faster, windows won't boot faster, just copy pasting files will have an inprovment .it doesn't worth it and you may lose trim function too and if 1 drive fails you lose data from both.
If you want to gain speed do like i do, download games on 1 drive and install them on the other or anything you do, do it in a way where 1 drive reads and the other writes or the other way arround and you will then use the drive on its full capacity speeds. If you use the same drive for both reads and write, for example, installing a game on the same drive where is located, you will get 50% less speed since the same drive needs to handle both writes and reads.

saddameu wrote:
you won't see any speed improvment with 2 nvme in raid 0, programs won't load faster, windows won't boot faster, just copy pasting files will have an inprovment .it doesn't worth it and you may lose trim function too and if 1 drive fails you lose data from both.

Thankyou for your input, it is an opinion I've heard a few times already.

That being said, raw speed increase isn't the primary incentive for me to raid up (I'm aware of the DMI 3.0 bandwidth limitations, among other things) + any one drive failing on me is past the first couple of months is rather.... unlikely.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nice input Saddameu - see you have been busy on the forum today. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Nice input Saddameu - see you have been busy on the forum today. 🙂

aparently way more busy than asus fixing their nvme ssd hw encryption problem :))

saddameu wrote:
aparently way more busy than asus fixing their nvme ssd hw encryption problem :))

hahahhahaa Not just Asus I think - only few boards will it work. But yeah it would be nice if it was sorted. Take care buddy. :cool:
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Fedec96
Level 8
Yes, it's basically the same.
In doubt, you can surely check the manual which has extremely detailed and illustrated step-by-step infos.

Fedec96 wrote:
Yes, it's basically the same.
In doubt, you can surely check the manual which has extremely detailed and illustrated step-by-step infos.

Thankyou, much appreciated.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I'm curious as to what is the primary incentive for raid 0 if it isn't speed?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I'm curious as to what is the primary incentive for raid 0 if it isn't speed?

I get slight OCD when I see something like 1TB/500GB/500GB/1TB, and it's more convenient for me (if I can just find the damn option in the BIOS...) to raid up the 2x500GB drives rather than partition the 1TB drives.