cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Asus Crosshair VII Hero MB

MMAXximus
Level 7
Hello all,

I got myself a new Asus Crosshair VII Hero mobo and a Ryzen 2700x cpu. This will be installed in a couple of days. Ive been looking for the best way to install, in terms of what steps to take.

What are the best steps to take with this mobo?
Should i update bios before installing cpu? Should i not update bios at All, because there are risks flashing a bios?

After cpu it will be installing Windows and then chipset drivers from Amd website i think?

Id like to hear your opinion in what is the best way to install a new system with the Crosshair VII and a Ryzen 2700x. Redirecting to helpfull forum topics is also welcome.

Thnx in advance
4 REPLIES 4

sdamico
Level 7
I'm far from a pro thats for sure, but I just finished my system with the same MB and CPU. I built the entire system up, hit power, went right into the BIOS, and saw I was on a very old version. I looked around, didn't tweak anything, and then downloaded the latest version. I need a little help on the best way to flash, so heres my thread below.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106792-Trouble-updating-BIOS

Thanks, that's helpfull. Basicly what is said there is to flash the bios before installing the pc, only powering up the mobo? Dont need to insert cpu for that.

I will make sure to have a formatted drive to FAT32 ready with the latest bios files.

MMAXximus wrote:
Thanks, that's helpfull. Basicly what is said there is to flash the bios before installing the pc, only powering up the mobo? Dont need to insert cpu for that.

I will make sure to have a formatted drive to FAT32 ready with the latest bios files.

No, my system was completely built when I flashed the new BIOS. all hardware was installed the first time I powered it up. Not sure if thats the best way, but thats always how I built my systems. Windows 10 pro and other software came after the flash.

I did it the same way you did. Al fine. System runs properly. Although what i found to be strange is that i had to change the memory speed to 3200 manually while it was on 2133 and i had to change volts to 1.35 because it was set on 1.2. Recognizable?

1 more issue im having right now is that i cannot use the precision boost overdrive. Stock it was on. Seemed to be working fine. All cores at around 4.0 to 4.1 idle. But what i noticed in Ryzen Master is that the EDC (CPU) was at 99% to 100% all the time. That doesnt seem to be okay to me. And i dont want to get that much stress on the cpu for a long period of time so it will reduce lifetime.
Any thoughts of this?

Ill give the specs for the PC. Maybe psu has something to do with it? Although it should be enough. Sidenote on that, when building the system the motherboard had 2 psu options to connect. 1 8 pins, or 1 8 pins and 1 4 pins. Can that be a cause for this?

ASUS Crosshair vii Hero
Ryzen 2700X
Trident z 16GB CL16
Gigabyte GTX1070 G1
Samsung EVO 970 500gb
Samsung EVO 850 250gb
Corsair RM550x

I hope you have any idea.