cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect a 144hz monitor to a 60hz laptop

Tomasm96
Level 7
Hi, I wonder if it would be a good idea to connect a separate 144hz monitor to my laptop. Would that work as good as I think or is there any cons that I should be aware of?

My device is this:
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
You can connect a display with different specifications but you don't want to mirror the displays. You would want to change to only output to the external. That will allow you to set a mode that wouldn't work for the internal display but will work for your external.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You can connect a display with different specifications but you don't want to mirror the displays. You would want to change to only output to the external. That will allow you to set a mode that wouldn't work for the internal display but will work for your external.

That means I would shut down the laptop display and use the external one right? Could that cause a bad effect on the processor? (Like overheating or alike(?)

Tomasm96 wrote:
That means I would shut down the laptop display and use the external one right? Could that cause a bad effect on the processor? (Like overheating or alike(?)

No, you wouldn't need to close the lid. What I mean is that by default most laptops will clone or mirror the image to both displays and choose a common mode that both can render. But just like having two monitors on a desktop you can choose to extend the desktop, mirror, or select only one display. You can do this with the Windows display dialogues or use the function keys. I forget which one but it's Fn + F ? key. It's the function key with two squares. The function key cycles through different displays and combinations.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
No, you wouldn't need to close the lid. What I mean is that by default most laptops will clone or mirror the image to both displays and choose a common mode that both can render. But just like having two monitors on a desktop you can choose to extend the desktop, mirror, or select only one display. You can do this with the Windows display dialogues or use the function keys. I forget which one but it's Fn + F ? key. It's the function key with two squares. The function key cycles through different displays and combinations.

Been doing some research and many people say that yes, it is possible to connect an external display but it will not run at 144hz. Only with a DVI port. And my laptop only has an HDMI port. Any ideas?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Cant see your image clearly as I cant open the attachment.
Frequency wont matter so much for loading, its pixels to drive.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

xeromist
That depends on the HDMI version. Refresh and resolution combined is called the "mode". A mode requires a certain bandwidth. Higher HDMI versions have more bandwidth and thus support more modes. So some versions can support 144 at lower resolutions or lower refreshes for higher resolutions. It's a trade off. Newer versions have more bandwidth so they can support higher resolutions for a given refresh.

You should confirm the HDMI versions of the transmitting device, the display, and the cable you are using. Then you can reference the chart on Wikipedia to determine what modes you should be able to use before buying anything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video