Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

GL504GM built-in speaker volume fluctuating loud/soft

Hey everybody.

This laptop is a little over a month old, and I think the problem has existed since I had it. Basically when listening to audio, movies, youtube, etc, the volume will suddenly drop very low only to randomly spike again for a short burst before dropping back down, as if it's being equalized in the absolute worst, random possible way.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to the newest version
    -Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to previous versions (04/18 and 08/18)
    -Sound>Communications>adjusting for sound calls to "Do Nothing"
    -For the hell of it, attempted to change the sample rate and bit depth
    -Also for the hell of it, did not allow applications to take control of this device
    -Again, for the hell of it, disabling the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (I'm not even 100 percent sure what it does, something for HDMI?)

So far, not so good. The problem does not occur when I use headphones, leading me to believe it is only a realtek problem.
    There are no enhancements in the playback device properties, so nothing that would be equalizing it there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

ROG Member Array

Bump because this issue is persisting, but I've narrowed down that it occurs on multiple browsers (google and edge) so I believe it is a driver issue. Recent BIOS 306 still hasn't solved the issue.

Edit: attached a picture of my sound information as per the DirectX Diagnostic Tool
    Last edited by Ashenx; 12-15-2018 at 10:32 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Does it happen if watching a video file through vlc or an audio file stored locally? Or while gaming?
    I had an issue where sound would completely stop for some sources, namely games and anything on a browser.. but still work for things like the windows netflix app. A windows reset solved it for me after trying similar troubleshooting steps as you. My issue also occured with headphones tho.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nihck5 View Post
    Does it happen if watching a video file through vlc or an audio file stored locally? Or while gaming?
    I had an issue where sound would completely stop for some sources, namely games and anything on a browser.. but still work for things like the windows netflix app. A windows reset solved it for me after trying similar troubleshooting steps as you. My issue also occured with headphones tho.

Yes, the issue still occurs with local files, including on vlc or wmp. The Netflix app also still caused issues. Games have always caused this issue as well. My headphones do not suffer from any of these issues and are fine with all application.

Again, it seems to be anything and everything will drop my speakers volumes down to negligent, even at full volume, only to peak for a few seconds and then come back down.

Edit: It also might be worth adding that, when casting this to my Roku TV, the problem doesn't happen on my TV (like with plugging in headphones). Just the laptop speakers.
    Last edited by Ashenx; 12-16-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Hi, I have the same problem but in a desktop and with realtek integrated sound card.

So I think it's a driver-related issue.
    What is the name of realtek audio? I'll check mine.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by TopOkay View Post
    Hi, I have the same problem but in a desktop and with realtek integrated sound card.

So I think it's a driver-related issue.
    What is the name of realtek audio? I'll check mine.
    Going to sound a bit dumb, but how do you check the name? Everywhere I've looked just lists it as generic realtek.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashenx View Post
    Going to sound a bit dumb, but how do you check the name? Everywhere I've looked just lists it as generic realtek.
    You can use hwinfo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cattura.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	77693

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by TopOkay View Post
    You can use hwinfo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cattura.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	77693
    This is what I got:

https://i.gyazo.com/107efa4de99af14e...f3d5abfe49.png

Seems hwinfo can't identify all the IDs. It happen to me in my gl703ge, I have less info than yours
    My desktop have completely different components, but the effect of volume fluctuation it's the same.

However, in the download page of your pc there's a new audio drivers, rollout 2018/12/13, have you tried them?
    https://www.asus.com/it/supportonly/...Desk_Download/

ROG Member Array

No, unfortunately I updated when the new version was released, but it seems both sides of the speaker don't reduce the same amount. While the left side seems to reduce about 30% - 40% (my own estimation), the right side speaker reduces maybe 80% - 90%, becoming so small it sounds like something is covering the speaker, when nothing is there.

No idea what's causing this anymore.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast