Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking the Edge off

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Despite being the best

Edge is is being replaced by a slower browser

https://www.techspot.com/news/77694-microsoft-reportedly-replacing-edge-chromium-powered-browser.htm...

Sometimes the world just aint ready for all that speed.

LOL
10 REPLIES 10

Korth
Level 14
Nice synthetic benchmark scores, lol.

Microsoft is crap no matter how successfully they market it, maybe Edge will impress while it's still in the "adoption" EEE phase but it'll become treacherous and ugly once it actually starts to gain any traction - just like WinOS and WMP/WMA and DX and IE and MSO and everything else that Microsoft sells - I have no interest in feeding the monster. And Bing ... omg roflmao hahahahaha.

Chrome is far too invasive and sinister and badly-behaved. It keeps reconfiguring and updating itself, no ability to audit or control or even be informed unless you want to play the arms race hacker game vs google every day, just a waste of time to keep what already ain't broken from constantly (and clandestinely) being fixed under the hood. It's also become an astonishingly bloated mess sinking under a huge tangle of convoluted version conflicts and dependency-driven components.

So for me Firefox is the proven and trusted leader. It wins on cross-platform support, if nothing else. It wins on awesomely nifty plug-ins, if nothing else. It wins on comparatively lightweight integration, if nothing else. Firefox FTW, no real contest. (Although I admit I'm currently trying out Iceweasel - again! - but that's neither here nor there.)

I guess I'm just not ready for all that speed.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I was being entirely sarcastic...:o

It's all turning into spyware period...people lapping it up

Korth
Level 14
Well, I guess Edge is probably better than Konqueror. I was really sold on it at first because it has some very useful features and because opensource and because it has cool (really kool) name! It coulda been a serious contender if it didn't have so many broken pieces, lol.

And Opera ... meh.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
And Opera ... meh.

Opera is run by wannabees for years now. The original devs are currently working on Vivaldi. It has gotten pretty good.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Heh...if you're going to call yourself Konqueror...you better be good...or else you come off all

arne saknussemm wrote:
heh...if you're going to call yourself konqueror...you better be good...or else you come off all
lol
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Korth
Level 14
Arne, wow that Klingon warrior is **thicc**

[/Korth]

davemon50
Level 11
Thanks a lot Arne. My eyes are burning now! Can't even keep them open. And thanks for repeating the pic Clint. :rolleyes:

BTW, the only problems I ever had with Edge was the lack of complete support for PDF's and with printing. I think those might be resolved, but I use IE as a backup when necessary on certain sites.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Thanks a lot Arne. My eyes are burning now! Can't even keep them open. And thanks for repeating the pic Clint. :rolleyes:

BTW, the only problems I ever had with Edge was the lack of complete support for PDF's and with printing. I think those might be resolved, but I use IE as a backup when necessary on certain sites.

I have been an IE fan since Netscape I used both until there was no point in paying for Netscape. IE has been fine for many years but seems to start failing locking up and other aggravations. I had tried firefox way back as I thought the multi-tabs was a good idea, otherwise it wasn't as good a browser IE and finally, IE got the tabs. Anyway, with all the issues with IE 11, I was forced to try out Chrome, I still like IE when its working but Chrome seems to just work and not have issues for me so as much as I don't like google in my life their browser just works and that is important for me. My experiences with Edge were bad right off, No add-ins, then very little configuration was available. I tried again earlier this year and the same issue are present with others for me. I use my computer as computers not like a Smart Phone or tablet so MS Apps just don't interest me. I still have Gadgets to handle the things that Apps should be able to provide and don't.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro