cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GTX 1080 "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware."

prestonslater
Level 7
Hello Everyone,

I normally am not one for posting on forums but I am truly at a loss here. I built my new computer late August, early September and have had nothing but issues. I was browsing Newegg and saw a combo package that had an Intel Core i7-8700k, ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero Mobo, and 8GB of Gskill Trident Z RGB ram. I also bought the ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 graphics card, EVGA 750w G2 Supernova, Thermal Take Floe Riing 240 Liquid Cooling and another 16GB of Gskill ram Note, this is my first time ever using Asus PC components and honestly I am disappointed.

Complete PC Specs:
Intel Core i7-8700k (not overclocked)
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (WiFi-AC)
ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 O8G
G-Skill Trident Z RGB RAM (8x4, 32 Total)
EVGA SUPERNOVA 750W G2 power supply
Thermaltake Floe Riing 240 RGB TT Premium CL-W
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

After building this PC I have encountered nothing but issues, the issues are as follows:
-PC screen randomly turning black and coming back
-After boot occasionally get a flashing green and yellow screen with what appears to be checker looking pixel formations.
-"Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware.
-Screen Choppiness.

******NOTE THE CONFLICT WAS FIXED FOR AROUND A MONTH BEFORE REAPPEARING********
When any of that happens my RAM and my GPU RGBs become choppy, and not as smooth as the spectrum cycling should be. I have done almost anything you can find on the internet. I have made sure all of my drivers are updated, every.. singe.... driver. I have tried underclocking my GPU and didn;t have an impact whatsoever. I have also done the whole TdrDelay dilemma. I have also ran MEMTEST86 multiple times without an error. Took apart the PC to ensure everything was put together properly. Made sure CPU pins were correct, Wires all plugged in properly, GPU seated properly with, Reseated Heatsink with new thermal paste and made sure it was pushing too hard on the CPU to cause the pins to not properly connect with the motherboard. Reinstalled windows 10, Tried Uninstalling third party applications like GPU tweak, Monitored Temps. I could go on and on but I am sure you get the gist of what I am trying to say.

I am truly at a loss on what to do and I am truly disappointed with my first PC build. (Father helped build, he is a huge PC enthusiast). Anything would help at this point, Thank you for taking your time to read

Cheers.
1 REPLY 1

jab383
Level 13
Screen choppiness, flashing colors, checker patterns and temporary black screens are all GPU symptoms. The black screen that comes back sounds like a driver reset - the driver detected a GPU malfunction and did a reset of the hardware and driver software. I get those symptoms a lot when overclocking. They usually happen when GPU voltage is too low for the clock or when the clock is too high for the temperature of the GPU.

The blocked application happens when Windows helps you by detecting multiple errors and shutting down what it thinks is the source. Which application is blocked in this case? The driver would be bad. I have had monitoring software blocked when OC was at the edge. Control software like GPU Tweak is most common because it really does cause errors when OC is pushed.

I suggest using GPU-Z to monitor temperature and voltage as clock rate rises and falls with load. With no overclock, temperature up to around 70C should cause no symptoms, but would indicate very bad cooling. That one GPU chip might require a little more voltage that it is getting with normal BIOS. I have a GTX580 that's like that. It might be worth a try to raise GPU voltage a little. Without overclock, voltage at high load might work better up to 1.05 volts. No voltage over 1.093 is worth the heat with a stock air cooler.