cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Buy or Not To Buy

theonecsm
Level 8
Recommendations to either buy a new Asus Router or Stay Away???

I have read so many mixed reviews and just recently had to return an Asus RT-AC3100 Router due to WiFi 5ghz band not staying connected even after the latest firmware update.

I am considering the ASUS RT-AX88U, but I see mixed reviews about WiFi dropping connections and not sure what to do.

I went and bought a Netgear X10 R9000 but the interface is really lacking but overall the WiFi 5Ghz band is working so better than before.

Not sure what to do but I need a AIMesh network or Mesh network due to multiple level home. I need to figure out what to do, please any advice would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Zaoxen
Level 7
Stay away. Too many bugs in software.

While I'm not unhappy enough to return my new router, I have a couple of issues with my RT-AX88U.

1 ) It doesn't appear that the firewall works. I get warnings from Norton that one of my PC's is being probed and I block those IP addresses, they still come through the router. Tech Support tells me that everything is working fine but I'm not convinced. I just noticed that a new firmware update came out last week and I'll install that to see if it changes anything. To me if I block an IP address then it should never show up on my PC yet it does.

2 ) Speed on the 2.4 channel seems slow to me. Running SpeedTest typically returns about 100 MBs with a 1 Gb connection. I was getting faster speeds on my 5 year old NetGear router. Not a deal breaker as the connections where I want speed are hard wired, I am disappointed in the speed.

3 ) Connection on the 2.4 channel takes a long time yet the 5 Ghz connection is almost instantaneous. That one doesn't make any sense to me?

I like the management software and that's really nice but for the price I paid for the router, I could have gotten the same performance with a cheaper unit.