cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A2 Q-Code on brand new Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi

Aoi_the_Hert
Level 7
I just finished building my PC with a Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi board and it won't post and gives me a A2 Q-Code with and without any drives in. I've tried updating the BIOS, clearing CMOS, unplugging all unnecessary things and I've rechecked my connections. I have no boot drive set up yet because I wanted a clean start and I haven't even gotten to the BIOS.

Pls send help
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Are you trying to move a previous installation to the new machine?

You should be looking to clean install a fresh OS on the new machine.

Neg, I have nothing on this new machine. Everything is brand new except for the GPU and PSU.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
So, if I understand right...you are pressing DEL or F2 but don't get into BIOS?

Yeah, the thing won't even POST.

Edit: I just got to the BIOS but I'm not even sure how.

Is it maybe my PSU? It not exactly the most recent PSU. It's like 4-5 years old.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If there is no BOOT device and you try to boot A2 will show...so that sounds normal to me.

If you connect the target drive only (remove all other drives), for OS install and your install media...can you get into BIOS?

Maybe try different sata cable if it's a sata drive...and check display cable is good

I couldn't get to the BIOS even with just the install drive and my m.2 SSD. My brother say I might need a new PSU.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Does the PSU have cables to fully populate the power connections?

What are you using for display?

Yeah I have a PSU with a 24 connector and all the other plugs I need plugged in. I'm using an Asus VG247. I'm using hdmi.