cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important is it to run chipset support DVD?

HGnDC
Level 7
Hello all. I just finished building a new computer based on the ROG Strix Z390-E motherboard with an i7-8700K CPU. I'm happy that everything seems to be working great! With the board came a DVD entitled Intel Z390 Chipset Support DVD Rev.760.01. However I did not include a DVD drive in my build so I cannot access it. How important is it to access this DVD? Are there essential driver updates that I'm missing? I could always add a DVD drive a USB DVD drive.

Thanks.

Howard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | Intel i7-8700K | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-2666 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW ULTRA SILENT | Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 SSD | Western Digital Black 6TB | Cryorig H7 | Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal TG ATX | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
6 REPLIES 6

Rob_W_
Level 12
The DVD was probably made months ago, my advice would be to check out ASUs driver site for your board to get latest drivers and utilities.
😄 welcome by the way, lots of helpfull people here.*
By the way, I didn’t add a dvd until recently for some software I needed.*

Menthol
Level 14
You can either let Windows update install drivers, download from either ASUS support site, or chipset manufacturers site, or use the included DVD has always worked well for me, just uncheck any drivers, software you do not want installed and let it do it's thing

HGnDC
Level 7
Thanks for the advice.
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | Intel i7-8700K | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-2666 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW ULTRA SILENT | Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 SSD | Western Digital Black 6TB | Cryorig H7 | Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal TG ATX | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

XYchromosone
Level 10
HGnDC wrote:
Hello all. I just finished building a new computer based on the ROG Strix Z390-E motherboard with an i7-8700K CPU. I'm happy that everything seems to be working great! With the board came a DVD entitled Intel Z390 Chipset Support DVD Rev.760.01. However I did not include a DVD drive in my build so I cannot access it. How important is it to access this DVD? Are there essential driver updates that I'm missing? I could always add a DVD drive a USB DVD drive.

Thanks.

Howard

Hi Howard, just in case you are not aware the download site for your motherboard with driver/software/BIOS Firmware updates is here:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Another option which is what I do coz of no DVD drive in my current system is to use a PC with a DVD drive and copy the contents of the DVD to a USB stick. However, the above link will pretty well always have more recent updates than what's on the original motherboard DVD. Especially BIOS updates.

HGnDC
Level 7
Thanks for the advice. I have now updated all drivers and the system is running smoothly. I am wondering, however, if I should update the BIOS. The version that came with the board is 0224 (2018.08.14), while the latest is 0602 (2018.10.31). The description for the latest version is enticing, speaking of stability improvements and fixing an unspecified "USB device issue." Should I go for the BIOS update?

I always update the BIOS if there is an update, although there are some people who believe that if the system is working well with the current BIOS then do not update it ["if it's not broken don't fix it"]. In 90% of cases a BIOS update has made my system work better. So I will leave that up to you to decide.