cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News...!!! 😔😔😔 Any real fix for rog gl504 hero 2 fps drops???

Vsparda
Level 7
Good day if i say is there any news about the real fix for rog gl504 hero 2 fps drops???..
93 REPLIES 93

DeadFireNL
Level 7
I hope I can be of use, I initially joined this forum because of those seriously disturbing fps drops that I was experiencing... However, while I waited before I could post here on the forums, I already found out that MSI Afterburner was the cause of my troubles. I've gone through quite a bit of experimenting: benchmarks and casual games would run fine, but most demanding games saw over 50% drops in fps for 1-2 seconds, every 5-10 seconds. Reinstalling windows fixed it, however after reinstalling a few of my programs, including Afterburner, it returned. So I deleted most of those programs, and after a restart my games ran smoothly once again.
I have no clue as to why it happens, a quick google search revealed that it can indeed affect GPU performance in some cases. So, should you have Afterburner installed, I'd recommend uninstalling it and rebooting, perhaps it helps.

Good to be part of the community anyways, hope you get to resolve your fps problems too.

Edit: I'm using a (recently acquired) Strix Hero 2 GL504GM, not sure if that matters 🙂

2nd edit: Spoke to soon... I'm encountering the problems again. Strangely enough, this seems to happen in Destiny 2 and Planetside, but not in EA's Battlefront 2... I'm out of clues, my last theory that these issues would only occur at maximum battery charge does not hold either

DeadFireNL wrote:
I hope I can be of use, I initially joined this forum because of those seriously disturbing fps drops that I was experiencing... However, while I waited before I could post here on the forums, I already found out that MSI Afterburner was the cause of my troubles. I've gone through quite a bit of experimenting: benchmarks and casual games would run fine, but most demanding games saw over 50% drops in fps for 1-2 seconds, every 5-10 seconds. Reinstalling windows fixed it, however after reinstalling a few of my programs, including Afterburner, it returned. So I deleted most of those programs, and after a restart my games ran smoothly once again.
I have no clue as to why it happens, a quick google search revealed that it can indeed affect GPU performance in some cases. So, should you have Afterburner installed, I'd recommend uninstalling it and rebooting, perhaps it helps.

Good to be part of the community anyways, hope you get to resolve your fps problems too.

Edit: I'm using a (recently acquired) Strix Hero 2 GL504GM, not sure if that matters 🙂

2nd edit: Spoke to soon... I'm encountering the problems again. Strangely enough, this seems to happen in Destiny 2 and Planetside, but not in EA's Battlefront 2... I'm out of clues, my last theory that these issues would only occur at maximum battery charge does not hold either

is your unit GL504GM hero 2?? have u tried updating the bios to 306 and play games on a flat surface because this method does not give me fps drops but when i play on my cooling pad the fps drops returns

Vsparda wrote:
is your unit GL504GM hero 2?? have u tried updating the bios to 306 and play games on a flat surface because this method does not give me fps drops but when i play on my cooling pad the fps drops returns

Hmm, the drivers and utilities section (https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-Hero-II/HelpDesk_Download/) shows 304 to be the latest version, any other place to find them? I'll definitely try that out.
I haven't got a cooling pad, I actually use the box the laptop came in as a flat surface to put the laptop on 😛

Edit: I just found all the posts about the random 306 bios update, it seems to fix the issues indeed (and bring a few new ones, but we'll get to that when we get to that :P). Not sure how I should go about updating that, since the website only presents 304 being the latest, I believe it is distributed through windows update or something. Perhaps it is due for later here in the Netherlands, I believe different regions can have different release dates for these kind of software/firmware updates.

DeadFireNL wrote:
Hmm, the drivers and utilities section (https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-Hero-II/HelpDesk_Download/) shows 304 to be the latest version, any other place to find them? I'll definitely try that out.
I haven't got a cooling pad, I actually use the box the laptop came in as a flat surface to put the laptop on 😛

Edit: I just found all the posts about the random 306 bios update, it seems to fix the issues indeed (and bring a few new ones, but we'll get to that when we get to that :P). Not sure how I should go about updating that, since the website only presents 304 being the latest, I believe it is distributed through windows update or something. Perhaps it is due for later here in the Netherlands, I believe different regions can have different release dates for these kind of software/firmware updates.

well i brought my laptop to an asus center and let them update the bios manually to 306

have you nuked the nahimic service? (yes, i found even deleting Sonic Studio is not enough, and windows keep installing the service even if you manually deletes it) just by doing that i managed to minimize the frame drops.. also, very important, the 1060 can't reach 144 fps on a lot of games, so don't activate v-sync, unless it's a game you're sure could sustain 144 fps at all times. (if not, better limit it to 75 or so)

also, underclocking helps, and in my case a LOT. in Forza Horizon 4, i go 90+ on all core just by playing a bit, but with a bit of underclock, the temps never go past 82 now. (still HOT, but not worryingly so)

desuzarasu wrote:
have you nuked the nahimic service? (yes, i found even deleting Sonic Studio is not enough, and windows keep installing the service even if you manually deletes it) just by doing that i managed to minimize the frame drops.. also, very important, the 1060 can't reach 144 fps on a lot of games, so don't activate v-sync, unless it's a game you're sure could sustain 144 fps at all times. (if not, better limit it to 75 or so)

also, underclocking helps, and in my case a LOT. in Forza Horizon 4, i go 90+ on all core just by playing a bit, but with a bit of underclock, the temps never go past 82 now. (still HOT, but not worryingly so)

how do i do that about nahimic issue??

Vsparda wrote:
how do i do that about nahimic issue??

i just disabled the process, as i found if i deleted it, windows would often redownload it.

I managed to nearly fix the fps dips on my Hero ii after I received it. Bios 306 (unsure effect of it) + UV CPU/GPU

ryannguyen9 wrote:
I managed to nearly fix the fps dips on my Hero ii after I received it. Bios 306 (unsure effect of it) + UV CPU/GPU

what settings are your pubg because the fps is high and i cant get to that fps on my hero 2 can u tell me your settings??