Fraizer
Level 9
Asus Maximus XI Extreme where to put my NVMe drives in RAID 0

Hello

i have:

- Asus Maximus XI Extreme
- 2x Samsung 970 Pro 1To each to set in RAID 0
- 4x G. Skill 4133mhz
- RTX 2080 Ti on the first PCIE 16x (i dont have it yet but i will buy one when i will have money lol but hope soon)
- sound card Asus STRIX Raid DLX (i am not sure yet on the 1x PCIE or on the second 16x port... or hmm on the last bottom PCIE 16x slot...

-1200 Power suply etc...

Question:

1 - To optimisae the performances of this NVMe RAID 0 and to keep the graphic card at the best slot, where you recommande me to plug thise 2 NVMe memory Drives ? i am asking this because is 2 areas where we can plug 2 NVMe : the "ROG DIMM.2 Slot" and the normal Socket (i am little out but i understand they are some PCI-E Slots are connected directly with the CPU (who is the best..) and other Connected with the Chipset who is less good...)

2- when i will put in few weeks the hard tubing watercooling i think it will be more easy to unplug those 2 NVMe Drives if i put them on the "ROG DIMM.2 Slot" but if the performences in RAID 0 are less good on the "ROG DIMM.2 Slot" i prefer to plug them on the normal sockets...

3- about my sound card in 1x PCI-E dosent matter if i plug here on the top 1x PCI-E or to the last on (the bottom one) 16x PCI-E ?

thank you
5 REPLIES 5

Fraizer
Level 9
no body know ? 😕

Numbie
Level 7
If you put NVMe drives in RAID 0 in NVMe slots you won't see better performance because these are connected to chipset (PCIe 3.0 x4) which will limit the speed like it was just one drive. DIMM.2 Slot is connected directly to the CPU PCIe lanes but performance of your graphics card (2080 Ti) will be limited because DIMM.2 will limit your PCIe 1 and 2 lanes to PCIe 3.0 8x. Third one and the x1 are connected to the chipset too so you can put sound card there without losing performance.
For RAID 0 and maximum graphic card performance you need a X299 motherboard and CPU for it. On 1080 Ti and 2080 there is 1-3% loss of performance, so it is worse on 2080 Ti.

Fraizer
Level 9
hi Numbie

sorry for the delay i dont get email notification..

are you sure about that ? it will limit so much the pcie of the 2080 ti ? an the normal socket in raid 0 will be limited so much ? 😕

XYchromosone
Level 10
For the benefit of other members who come across this, using DIMM.2 in RAID 0 with 2 SSD drives will not make much of a performance hit for the PCI-e 16_1 slot with a 16X graphics card. Although the PCI-e 16_1 slot will run at half speed of 8X, you would not really notice less performance in real world game playing etc. Only benchmarking will show a bit less score.

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
It makes ZERO sense putting NVME drives in raid. Even 1 single 970 EVO will max out the bandwidth of the PCI lanes. Just don't do it. On top of that, every time you do a bios update the bios will reset and you'll loose your raid configuration.

@XYchromosone you do know this topic has been dead for almost 18 months right?