cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z370-E chirping when HDD idle

TylerKU
Level 7
Hi,

Ever since I made my new build I have had this problem I cant seem to get rid of. My build has a 500gb SSD which windows 10 is installed and then a 2TB western digital HDD for storage.

It seems that whenever the HDD is idle, the computer will beep continuously. Anytime I initiate the HDD some how, either by launching Spotify (which has songs on the HDD) or simply just opening the drive through the explorer, the beeping will stops.

Then after about 30 minutes the beeping will start back up again, until I launch or close Spotify again or otherwise engage the HDD. If I am playing a game that is installed on the HDD the beeping never even starts.

I am not sure how to fix this one, any help is appreciated.
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
Hard drive chirping is usually from the read/write head. So it doesn't necessarily sound like anything is wrong although I get that it might be annoying. I would probably try disabling power saving features to see if that makes a difference. Also I know that Windows 10 does some background indexing when the system is idle. You may want to google how to disable that, at least temporarily.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…