cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to overclock, need help.

Thunderc00kie
Level 7
Hello

I've been trying to overlock my setup for several days now and the only thing that has even worked a little bit is upping the bus speed...

IMy setup

i9 9900k with a Hydro seriers H-60 water cooler .
Hyperfury DDR4 2666mhz
Asus Rog Strix Z390 - F gaming
MSI geforce 1080

No matter what I do or change in the bios, my core is set at 3.4 ghz... even tho it's base should be 3,6... right?
I've tweaked the bus speed and set it on XMP-2 and got it to 4,2 but that's it and I don't really know but it seems odd to tweak that in order to get results. I've also upped the volatage with no avail.

If I use the AI suite 3 that came with the motherboard, nothing works, no changes works at all, I'ev tried the auto over cloak option but it just resets it back to 3,4 ghs...

I've watch a few videos and I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Any help will be very appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Thunderc00kie
Level 7
No one has any idea here?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you cleared CMOS and/or updated BIOS to latest?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you cleared CMOS and/or updated BIOS to latest?

Yes, and I now have the latest Versjon "0602" .

Not sure what to do, I'm sure it can do better. My CPU has never gone above 40 C even under max load...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Not sure what to suggest really, except taking it back to basics.

What happens if you enter BIOS and set F5 defaults and then F10 (save+exit) and run a stress test like RealBench?

Is your RAM a single kit?

Is the cooler working?...Are any of the tubes near CPU warm...any funny noises?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
From the UEFI:

Set multiplier to 48 / Sync all cores

Set Vcore to Manual / 1.25v

Under Digi+ set Loadline Calibration to 6

report back.

Might help to leave XMP disabled for the time being.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Set Ai Overclocking Tuner to MANUAL mode ... Not Auto or D.O.C.P and TPU at Keep Current Settings

artkursis wrote:
Set Ai Overclocking Tuner to MANUAL mode ... Not Auto or D.O.C.P and TPU at Keep Current Settings

I will try this, can you explain exactly where to find these options so I don't fiddle with things I shouldn't?

Thanx in advance.

Thunderc00kie wrote:
I will try this, can you explain exactly where to find these options so I don't fiddle with things I shouldn't?

Thanx in advance.

Under the advanced tab. AI is near the top and TPM about 2/3 down.

Also I don’t recommend using AI suite. It can cause issues *just like this. Uninstall it, find the folder and delete it then download and install cleaner and run the registry sweep to clear it all out. *Actually you can use the uninstaller portion of a cleaner as well to get rid of it and a lot of the windows bloatware that you can’t get rid of through the app section of control panel.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Under the advanced tab. AI is near the top and TPM about 2/3 down.

Also I don’t recommend using AI suite. It can cause issues *just like this. Uninstall it, find the folder and delete it then download and install cleaner and run the registry sweep to clear it all out. *Actually you can use the uninstaller portion of a cleaner as well to get rid of it and a lot of the windows bloatware that you can’t get rid of through the app section of control panel.*

I did all the steps aside from the TPM/TPU ( not sure whitch one it is as you say 2 different things in 2 different posts fellas.
I was unable to find any of these setting, no TPm or TPU.

When I am done in the bios, all the settings there say 5ghs or 4800 etc. but when I get back to windows, it says 3.4ghz cpu-id, tho at "my conputer it says @3,6ghz.
Go back to bios, it still says 5ghz. I'm stumped.. The only way I could change it was to keep all the settings as they were and just adjust the BUS speed, since the *34 instead of 50 it becomes something like 130bus * 34 ratio and then I end up getting about 4300ghz. It then also says 34% overclocked on my boot Asus screen.. this is the only way I get to overlock it, but it's stuck at about 4300mhz, one day it had risen for some reason to 4600mhz and 36% overclock, but the next day it was back down to 4200mhz.. Does this make any sense to any of you?
Even in CPU-Z it says 3400mhz, the multiplier says x 34 ( 8 -50) but it never goes over 34, meaning I'm stuck at 3400mhz, and the stock mhz is 3600mhz on this... so like what the actual...?

Thanx in advance and for the help so far.