cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Believe I have bricked my rt-ac5300.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I can't get the ac5300 to enter recovery mode. I've tried powering off and holding in the reset button, while powering back on, with no luck. I have also tried the wps button for the same results. I'm thinking the cfe might be corrupted. What are my options at this point?
6 REPLIES 6

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Ok, I can connect wirelessly, but the lan ports are not operational.

Zarathustraa wrote:
Ok, I can connect wirelessly, but the LAN ports are not operational.

By the way, did you tried going into recovery mode previously and successfully restored the firmware?

Option 2:

I guess your only option is to use Serial (TTL)-to-USB and try to restore the firmware.

Try to get a voltmeter as well since they did not label the sequence to find the 3/5v port sequence
example: https://www.amazon.com/Armorview-PL2303HX-Cable-Module-Converter/dp/B008AGDTA4

Then, try to follow this tutorial to restore firmware, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLuRD32hLk (Not verified yet as I do not have this kind of problem, but I used this tutorial before for my bricked Linksys router and restored successfully)

Source: https://foxnetlab.com/index.php/16-reviews/166-asus-rt-ac5300

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Oh and there's no soldering involved. It should be safe to just flash back to stock this way, right?

Zarathustraa wrote:
Oh and there's no soldering involved. It should be safe to just flash back to stock this way, right?

Yes, you are correct.

And there is only 1 labeling of the serial port, but you can take this as reference as where to connect your cable to.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi1rIuEiq...

You might want to make a factory reset via once you are able to login or load the webpage.

This might be a good guide for nvram reset.

Just before anything else, just try recovery mode + tool to restore before going to the serial method.

Hardware NVRAM Reset:
Turn power off to the router by disconnecting the power cable
Wait 10 seconds
Press and hold the WPS button
Restore power to router while continuing to hold WPS button
Continue to hold WPS button for 20 seconds

Place router into Restore / Recovery mode:
Turn power off to the router by disconnecting the power cable
Wait 10 seconds
Press and hold the Reset button
Restore power to router while continuing to hold Reset button
Continue to hold Reset button for 20 seconds

Well, I Yeah, I've gotten into recovery mode in the past. However, I cleared the nvram settings from the cfe page, and think some of the router values were lost. Pretty, sure a flag needed for letting the router enter recovery mode was lost.

I was playing around with settings in dd wrt, just now, and did manage to get into recovery mode by improperly assigning the vlans. So, if I hold down reset the router goes into recovery mode now, but I cannot communicate through ports or wireless anymore.

I'm going to try the hard reset procedure you posted. How I've been pressing wps has not been having any effect.

Zarathustraa wrote:
Well, I Yeah, I've gotten into recovery mode in the past. However, I cleared the nvram settings from the cfe page, and think some of the router values were lost. Pretty, sure a flag needed for letting the router enter recovery mode was lost.

I was playing around with settings in dd wrt, just now, and did manage to get into recovery mode by improperly assigning the vlans. So, if I hold down reset the router goes into recovery mode now, but I cannot communicate through ports or wireless anymore.

I'm going to try the hard reset procedure you posted. How I've been pressing wps has not been having any effect.

Oh, you are in DD-WRT then you will need the serial mode then, the nvram reset with the wrong parameters should wipe out the basic functions as I've done it wrong with my linksys, have to go to serial and restore firmware again.