cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling help please...

CAR-MAN1
Level 7
Hi guys, I have been visiting these boards for a few months off and on as well as other sites, a bunch of good info. Thanks for the help in advance.

I have been compiling parts for the past few months. I ran into a bit of a problem once I decided to go ahead and go to the 3930k...It should be here today. So, in anticipation I went ahead and pulled out the Phantek cooler I had ordered and it didn't look like it was going to fit. So, I sent it back and now I am in need of a cooler.

I plan on overclocking the CPU of course. At some point, I would like to water cool, but that will be down the road a bit.

Here is the rest of my configuration.

CASE: COOLERMASTER COSMOS II

MOBO: RAMPAGE IV EXTREME

CPU: INTEL 3930K

GPU: SAPPHIRE 6950 TOXIC IN CROSSFIRE

SSD: KINGSTON HYPERX 240GB

HHD: HITACHI 7K1000.D (WILL RAID 0 LATER)

BLU RAY: PLEXTOR LB950SA

DVD DRIVE: PLEXTOR PLDS IHAS52498

SO, AT THIS POINT I NEED TO PICK UP A COOLER THAT WILL FIT WITH ALL DIMMS POPULATED. I HAVE DONE A BUNCH OF READING, BUT HAVE NOT SEEN A CONFIGURATION LIKE THIS THAT WAS AIR COOLED. MOST PEOPLE GO WITH THE H100 OR A CUSTOM LOOP IT SEEMS. I AM RESISTING THE H100 BECAUSE OF NOISE AND RELIABILITY ISSUES, HOWEVER I MAY BE ABLE TO BE CONVINCED.

THANK YOU FOR THE CONSIDERATION AND FEEDBACK, I ANTICIPATE BEING ON THESE BOARDS QUITE A BIT IN THE FUTURE.

(sorry for the CAPS)
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
What ram are you using? That is like the key piece of the cooler puzzle mate. 🙂

LP ram any cooler.

You get my drift....:)
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

OOPs! I had to type twice, missed it...Yeah, I would say very important. GSkill Sniper 2133...I read your post yesterday in a similar thread, but not sure if it was applicable in my case. Thanks for the help.

HiVizMan
Level 40
You set on those sticks of ram?

I ask because they are not specific for your motherboard, and yes they should work but it is really better to go for ram that is specifically designed and tested with the X79 platform. If the snipers you are referring to are could you link me please.

I am busy working on a little write up about the different kinds of ram and why it is better to go for the right type per platform.

The Pro Meg will suite certainly, and so will the TRUE The Noctu might be tight.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Well, I have certainly read differing opinions on this. I did contact GSkill and was assured that they would be fine. The real reason I went with the Sniper series over one of the other GSkill sets was look more than anything else.
I don't really care for the standard heatsinks on the other sets. Normally, I could probably just send them back, but now I am outside my return period. Here is the link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461

So, I guess if I have to sell them or hang on to them I can do it if need to. Thanks for the help...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Don't get me wrong I am not saying that they will not work on your set up.

Most of the problems we deal with on this and other forums with the X79 platform and ram is because users are taking two kits of 2x4GB ram and combining them to make a quad channel kit. Now regardless what is written on the box, you have no guarantee that the chips used to make those two kits are the same, you have no certainty that the SPD's of those two kits will be compatible. That is the nature of ram. You can have the same kits but different batches of chips used.

Will 4 sticks or Gskill ram that you like work. Most probably yes, but I would be remiss to tell you anything else but the realities of the subject. We have Politicians for that, they can tell folks just what the folk want to hear to get elected and not have to put their hands up after when things go wrong. Well that does not wash here. So I give you the information that is accurate and honest. It is then up to you and anyone else who asks to decide what you want to do with that information. 🙂

I use two kits of GSkill ram quite successfully on my benching system, Yes I have to spend hours initially to get the two kits to work as I wanted them to work. The two sets of ram that I have which are specifically for the x79 platform worked perfectly first time. That is the difference.

😛 You wanted to know about coolers and we ended up chatting about ram.

Now that you explain it in basic terms I understand and have read that very thing elsewhere. Well, I guess at this point, I have already purchased them. I will have to try them out and if they give me any problems, I will switch them out at that time I guess.
I certainly don't want to spend a bunch of time fiddling with them to make them work. If I have to switch them out, I would probably go to a Mushkin kit with similar specs.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah Muskins are great too, like I said go have a look on the product page of the kit of ram you are looking at buying if they have been tested on the X79 platform. Do not bother with the ASUS QVL simply because when that was created there where like 5 sets of ram. And the Ram vendors create and change models far too often to keep the QVL up to date.