cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G771JW Broken battery or no battery = lag spikes?

chiribauradu
Level 7
Hi everybody!

I have my G771JW for like 3 years, my battery is broken (it lasts 5 minutes, but no error shown like "please change the battery"). I have lag spikes in every game, is it because of my broken battery?

Also if I remove the battery and play only plugged in to AC is lagging harder than having the battery.

PS: always playing plugged in to AC.
5 REPLIES 5

Gps3dx
Level 12
Hi there,
it is known that with ROG G serie laptops the iGPU does takes power from the battery EVEN WHILE being on AC, do it can deliver its max potential.
its might not be necessary true for casual desktop & internet browsing, but as soon as you play a video and for sure start gaming - the extra power from the battery is needed.

new battery cost ~50-80 USD and you can check for teardown guides in the forum/web to see how to replace the battery DIY method.

P.S - if you're win10 - please goto my windows UEFI installation guide ( a sticky thread ), look at my one of the latest posts - I wrote there about various tips, tweaks & apps that helps to cope with win10 lagging in games.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
Hi there,
it is known that with ROG G serie laptops the iGPU does takes power from the battery EVEN WHILE being on AC, do it can deliver its max potential.
its might not be necessary true for casual desktop & internet browsing, but as soon as you play a video and for sure start gaming - the extra power from the battery is needed.

new battery cost ~50-80 USD and you can check for teardown guides in the forum/web to see how to replace the battery DIY method.

P.S - if you're win10 - please goto my windows UEFI installation guide ( a sticky thread ), look at my one of the latest posts - I wrote there about various tips, tweaks & apps that helps to cope with win10 lagging in games.

Hi! Thank you very much for the answer.

First of all what would you suggest me to try for my issue? For windows 10? Because for now, I am waiting for the new battery.

Thanks!

chiribauradu wrote:
Hi! Thank you very much for the answer.

First of all what would you suggest me to try for my issue? For windows 10? Because for now, I am waiting for the new battery.

Thanks!

found my posts about win10 tweaks apps in my sticky guide ?
it's all trial & error... benchmark a lot to find out what is suited for your particular games.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
found my posts about win10 tweaks apps in my sticky guide ?
it's all trial & error... benchmark a lot to find out what is suited for your particular games.

What if I would try to buy a bigger AC Supply Source? Does this make any sense? Or it will burn the entire laptop? 😄

And another question: in the official drivers for G771JW, there's no Power4Gear software. Will it be better if I install it?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I've seen that GPU Wattage is 75W and CPU Wattage is 47 which is a total of 122W. Does it make any sense to buy an at least 150W Power Supply?

chiribauradu wrote:
What if I would try to buy a bigger AC Supply Source? Does this make any sense? Or it will burn the entire laptop? 😄

And another question: in the official drivers for G771JW, there's no Power4Gear software. Will it be better if I install it?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I've seen that GPU Wattage is 75W and CPU Wattage is 47 which is a total of 122W. Does it make any sense to buy an at least 150W Power Supply?

You could always try a larger power supply, as long as the connector is compatible, it wont hurt it. Its much like installing a 1000W power supply in a standard PC, say over a 500W. The power is there if needed, but it wont hurt the devices as it just supplies whatever power the device requests.

Im not sure how 'smart' these laptops are when it comes to power delivery. I know they will pull from the battery at times if the AC is being strained, but Im not sure if they will continue to pull more over stock and not go to the battery with a bigger power supply?

I would look for ways to reduce your pull from the power supply. One way would be to undervolt the processor. There are many guides online you can find via google to do that. It can sometimes be very beneficial to do so. I am currently using an Alienware R17 R5 and have reduced temps by 10c by undervolting the proc.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72