cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI E - BIOS Glitch or Missing Something?

rjbarker
Level 11
Sorry guys I have also posted this on the OC section....Mods feel free to move or do whatever it is you need to do.

So heres the deal...once I make all my OC'ing tweaks in the BIOS and Save n Exit..then reboot (say at 4.9 , 5 or 5.1 Ghz.....my BIOS Hardware Monitor never changes.....all stays Frequency 3600 Mhz and Core Ratio x36 ....other parameters change....

See image...and can someone from ASUS please let me know whats up ? It happens on both BIOS (running both 1st and 2nd versions).....once or perhaps twice while I was tinkering I believe it actually showed 5000 Mhz and Core Ratio x 50.....but happened only once or possibly twice....

Any ideas ????
Am I missing a setting...although running Cinebench CPU is running at the Frequency I set....its like the Hardware Monitor portion of the BIOS only detects the Base Frequency and not the applied overclock....

8 REPLIES 8

x-rated wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106996-5-2ghz-9900k-asus-z390-maximus-xi-extreme/page6#pos... 🙂

Thanks.....thought that was it for sure...but none of the "Boot" options makes a difference...always states Frequency 3600 Mhx and Core ratio x36 !!! I want to figure this out!!!

x-rated
Level 8
weird :confused: are you really on 0602? and did you try reset to defaults and set everything up again?
that "sil quality" was only on initial bios 0224

x-rated wrote:
weird :confused: are you really on 0602? and did you try reset to defaults and set everything up again?
that "sil quality" was only on initial bios 0224

Yes have tried resetting BIOS to Default and Re-Flashing BIOS to 0602.....none of this makes a difference...
Frequency in BIOS 3600 Mhz and Core Ratio x36 no matter what OC settings I apply save and reboot........

Couple of more Screen Shots...you can see I am booted to 5.1 Ghz and Turbo Performance Enabled .....BUT look at Frequency and Core Ratio stuck at 3600 Mhz and x36..
The only thing that changes is when I select Battery Mode....Frequency will post at 800 Mhz and Core Ratio x8.....

Is this worthy of an RMA...? Kind of odd if things are working as should be at the UEFI / BIOS Level ....

rjbarker
Level 11
That picture I took was with the first BIOS....thats why the SIL Quality is there....my 2nd BIOS is 0602 that obviously doesnt show the Sil Quality.
So in the BIOS when I change the CPU Power setting :
- Set CPU Power Boot to "Battery: and the Frequency will change to 800 Mhz and Core Ratio to x8
- All other options (even Boost Mode) will always show Frequency 3600 Mhz and Core Ratio x 36

Its like something is borked in this setting?
It acts exactly the same whether i use BIOS #1 which I flashed to 0602 or BIOS #2 which in still on first Build Version.

Guess Im wondering if this is worth RMA'ing the board (as something aont working right).....although in Windows Im seeing the correct Frequencies (but strange not at the grass level).

Any suggestions....?
Perhaps reset BIOS to Default and reflash BIOS again ?

I have also tried OC'ing complete Manual (no XMP) ....makes no difference....

I

rjbarker
Level 11
SOLVED:

After a few hours of becoming intimate with my BIOS....the culprit is:

- "Inter Speed shift Technology" - if this is set to "disabled" and save / exit boot back into BIOS HW Monitor will show Frequency 3600 Mhx and Core Ratio x36
- "Intel Speed shift Technology" - set to either Auto or Enabled and Frequency will show as what I set 5000 Mhz and Core ratio x 50

I would be interested to see if anyone else can re-produce this by "disabling" Intel Speed Shift Technology" .....?

I have tried Resets and Cold Boots and all works fine now provided I leave Intel Speed Shift Technology to Enabled or Auto...

rjbarker wrote:
SOLVED:

After a few hours of becoming intimate with my BIOS....the culprit is:

- "Inter Speed shift Technology" - if this is set to "disabled" and save / exit boot back into BIOS HW Monitor will show Frequency 3600 Mhx and Core Ratio x36
- "Intel Speed shift Technology" - set to either Auto or Enabled and Frequency will show as what I set 5000 Mhz and Core ratio x 50

I would be interested to see if anyone else can re-produce this by "disabling" Intel Speed Shift Technology" .....?

I have tried Resets and Cold Boots and all works fine now provided I leave Intel Speed Shift Technology to Enabled or Auto...

Some overclockers like to disable P states and C states. They keep the CPU at full speed and power states as the fluctuations from Speed Step and Speed Shift can cause instability when running on the ragged edge. I always suggest to leave these enabled for the majority of users. It allows the CPU to be stepped down in speed and power when under light or no load. This leads to power savings and less heat. Your BIOS was reporting the default CPU speed of 3.6GHZ under the BIOS as nothing was asking it to do more. When you set the multiplier in the BIOS you are setting MAX speed when in the OS and under load.

mdzcpa wrote:
Some overclockers like to disable P states and C states. They keep the CPU at full speed and power states as the fluctuations from Speed Step and Speed Shift can cause instability when running on the ragged edge. I always suggest to leave these enabled for the majority of users. It allows the CPU to be stepped down in speed and power when under light or no load. This leads to power savings and less heat. Your BIOS was reporting the default CPU speed of 3.6GHZ under the BIOS as nothing was asking it to do more. When you set the multiplier in the BIOS you are setting MAX speed when in the OS and under load.

totally get it.....however on previous Rampage Boards if you set Blck to "whatever" and the Multiplier to "xx" ....F10...back into BIOS...there you will see your new present boot speed.(w Bclk speed and x Multiplier...and Frequency....(which you wont see on this Board if you disable "ISST")......which is what you want to see (confirm) prior to going into W10....think of it as a "catch" to issues prior to going to your desktop......

.....heres the deal...I HAD every other Stepping ...C2 States all that crap disable.. (ensuring the Cores would not throttle down ...while Im testing OC capabilities and keeping an eye on vCore during Boot.....desktop etc....I kept setting "disabled" for Speed Shift Tech...so had a number of variables (cause I had all the usual suspects disabled as well)...that turned out to be the one....btw....with Speed Shift Tech enabled...and W10 set up CPU to Performance....along with C2 States and Stepping disabled...Frequencty doesnt change on the desktop (other then the usual vDrop / vDroop values).....previous Rampage build there was no Intel Speed Shift Tech setting......