cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080 ti coil whine strix

rckrz6
Level 7
I moved from a 1080 strix to a 2080 ti strix and this thing has very annoying coil whine. The 1080 only had a slight hum which is tolerable in a silent PC. I can hear this 2080 ti buzzing across the room, should i exchange it or are they all like this
33 REPLIES 33

The_Ich
Level 7
What kind of noise does your card make? Is it more a buzzing noise or a higher pitched frequency noise?

At which framerates does it start? Does the intensity increase with the framerate and is especially noticeable at 144 fps and more? Does the characteristic of the noise frequency change instantly when you turn the camera in games (which results in different fps)?. Or are we talking about hundreds/thousends of fps coil whine in menus or static images?

The_Ich wrote:
What kind of noise does your card make? Is it more a buzzing noise or a higher pitched frequency noise?

At which framerates does it start? Does the intensity increase with the framerate and is especially noticeable at 144 fps and more? Does the characteristic of the noise frequency change instantly when you turn the camera in games (which results in different fps)?. Or are we talking about hundreds/thousends of fps coil whine in menus or static images?

It makes more of a buzzing. It starts at about 40 fps and gets louder as the FPS goes up. I generally game at 120 fps. The battlefield 5 menu is the loudest (90fps) and it is abit better during actual gameplay (100-120 fps) . 3dmark is also super loud unless im doing a 4k benchmark with low framerates. I was just able to test a 2080 strix (non ti) and it had some coil whine or buzzing but it was much better (something i could deal with) Yes the frequency does change somewhat with camera movement if i unlock the framerate. I ordered a new hero xi mobo and a 9700k i should have built tonight. A new power supply tommorow (evga g3 supernova 850w). Ill see if the results change.

Currently using
Hero X Wifi
evga g+ supernova 1000w psu

Well, this sounds familiar. In my case I tried two different systems, PSUs, switched power cables and even tried different power sockets. One of the PSU is a Corsair AX1600i, so the quality of the power delivery to the card should be really good. But nothing helped, it was definitely the card causing the noise.

Please report back, how it is going for you with your new system. I hope your experience will differ from mine.

The_Ich wrote:
Well, this sounds familiar. In my case I tried two different systems, PSUs, switched power cables and even tried different power sockets. One of the PSU is a Corsair AX1600i, so the quality of the power delivery to the card should be really good. But nothing helped, it was definitely the card causing the noise.

Please report back, how it is going for you with your new system. I hope your experience will differ from mine.

will do. I may have to switch brands which I rather not do as this board matches all the rest of my Asus stuff

The_Ich wrote:

New system is together without the new power supply, i swear it buzzes louder then it did before. Im going to run heaven benchmark all night to see if i can maybe settle it in

Noise was pretty much completely gone in the morning, after letting it cool and running the app again its back again at full strength

rckrz6 wrote:
New system is together without the new power supply, i swear it buzzes louder then it did before. Im going to run heaven benchmark all night to see if i can maybe settle it in

Noise was pretty much completely gone in the morning, after letting it cool and running the app again its back again at full strength

The noise was temporarly gone? Was that after the burn-in (running benchmark overnight)? Maybe you should do it again.
I tried stuff like this as well but without any changes. Also temperature had no effect (right after cold start or after hours). It also did not matter if the card was under full load or only ~50% utilized (framelimiter).

The_Ich wrote:
The noise was temporarly gone? Was that after the burn-in (running benchmark overnight)? Maybe you should do it again.
I tried stuff like this as well but without any changes. Also temperature had no effect (right after cold start or after hours). It also did not matter if the card was under full load or only ~50% utilized (framelimiter).

Tempature has a positive effect on mine after about 15 to 20 min. Replacing the power supply has decreased the noise but it still beyond what I am willing to expect for $1400. I will rma the card for an exchange but will prob just get a refund as there is no stock right now. I do have an extended return period due to the holidays

rckrz6 wrote:
Tempature has a positive effect on mine after about 15 to 20 min. Replacing the power supply has decreased the noise but it still beyond what I am willing to expect for $1400. I will rma the card for an exchange but will prob just get a refund as there is no stock right now. I do have an extended return period due to the holidays

Interesting that you actually noticed a difference. Out of interest, which power supply did you use before?

Your only hope could be that it might become a bit better over time with a few more burn-in attempts / long usage. But if you are running out of time to revoke the purchase, you should return it. I had done the same, because there is no point to pay such a premium for a - admittedly - very good, quiet and efficient cooling solution, if it gets overshadowed by other sources of noise. Especially higher frequent noise is much more noticeable and annoying due to the way the human perception of sound waves work.

The_Ich wrote:
Interesting that you actually noticed a difference. Out of interest, which power supply did you use before?

Your only hope could be that it might become a bit better over time with a few more burn-in attempts / long usage. But if you are running out of time to revoke the purchase, you should return it. I had done the same, because there is no point to pay such a premium for a - admittedly - very good, quiet and efficient cooling solution, if it gets overshadowed by other sources of noise. Especially higher frequent noise is much more noticeable and annoying due to the way the human perception of sound waves work.

I was using a evga g+ supernova 1000w, switched to a evga supernova g3 850w. I am changing again though to a seasonic prime ultra titanium 750w because the fan on the g3 is just too loud for my taste at idle (eco mode also doesn't work well) The seasonic has a 20 db fan at max load. The coil whine has further improved over the weeks, maybe from burn in but its not anywhere as loud as it was (esp when the card is hot). I am considering just keeping this gpu and not playing the gpu lottery. Having coil whine the loudest noise on your system has been very frustrating