Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

ROG Member Array

2080 ti coil whine strix

I moved from a 1080 strix to a 2080 ti strix and this thing has very annoying coil whine. The 1080 only had a slight hum which is tolerable in a silent PC. I can hear this 2080 ti buzzing across the room, should i exchange it or are they all like this

ROG Member Array

What kind of noise does your card make? Is it more a buzzing noise or a higher pitched frequency noise?

At which framerates does it start? Does the intensity increase with the framerate and is especially noticeable at 144 fps and more? Does the characteristic of the noise frequency change instantly when you turn the camera in games (which results in different fps)?. Or are we talking about hundreds/thousends of fps coil whine in menus or static images?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ich View Post
    What kind of noise does your card make? Is it more a buzzing noise or a higher pitched frequency noise?

At which framerates does it start? Does the intensity increase with the framerate and is especially noticeable at 144 fps and more? Does the characteristic of the noise frequency change instantly when you turn the camera in games (which results in different fps)?. Or are we talking about hundreds/thousends of fps coil whine in menus or static images?
    It makes more of a buzzing. It starts at about 40 fps and gets louder as the FPS goes up. I generally game at 120 fps. The battlefield 5 menu is the loudest (90fps) and it is abit better during actual gameplay (100-120 fps) . 3dmark is also super loud unless im doing a 4k benchmark with low framerates. I was just able to test a 2080 strix (non ti) and it had some coil whine or buzzing but it was much better (something i could deal with) Yes the frequency does change somewhat with camera movement if i unlock the framerate. I ordered a new hero xi mobo and a 9700k i should have built tonight. A new power supply tommorow (evga g3 supernova 850w). Ill see if the results change.

Currently using
    Hero X Wifi
    evga g+ supernova 1000w psu
    Last edited by rckrz6; 12-16-2018 at 03:54 PM.

ROG Member Array

Well, this sounds familiar. In my case I tried two different systems, PSUs, switched power cables and even tried different power sockets. One of the PSU is a Corsair AX1600i, so the quality of the power delivery to the card should be really good. But nothing helped, it was definitely the card causing the noise.

Please report back, how it is going for you with your new system. I hope your experience will differ from mine.

ROG Member Array

Well, this sounds familiar. In my case I tried two different systems, PSUs, switched power cables and even tried different power sockets. One of the PSU is a Corsair AX1600i, so the quality of the power delivery to the card should be really good. But nothing helped, it was definitely the card causing the noise.

Please report back, how it is going for you with your new system. I hope your experience will differ from mine.
    will do. I may have to switch brands which I rather not do as this board matches all the rest of my Asus stuff

ROG Member Array

New system is together without the new power supply, i swear it buzzes louder then it did before. Im going to run heaven benchmark all night to see if i can maybe settle it in

Noise was pretty much completely gone in the morning, after letting it cool and running the app again its back again at full strength
    Last edited by rckrz6; 12-17-2018 at 02:30 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post
    New system is together without the new power supply, i swear it buzzes louder then it did before. Im going to run heaven benchmark all night to see if i can maybe settle it in

Noise was pretty much completely gone in the morning, after letting it cool and running the app again its back again at full strength
    The noise was temporarly gone? Was that after the burn-in (running benchmark overnight)? Maybe you should do it again.
    I tried stuff like this as well but without any changes. Also temperature had no effect (right after cold start or after hours). It also did not matter if the card was under full load or only ~50% utilized (framelimiter).

ROG Enthusiast Array Shanester PC Specs
    Shanester PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS EXTREME / ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA
    Processori9-9900K / i9-7900X

Odd, I noticed that same reduction in coil whine when switching from an EVGA PSU to a Seasonic. At first I thought my 2080TI was bad but after switching PSU's she is quiet and happy.

ROG Member Array

I ended up just swapping out my card, its now 80% better and im very happy

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

A lot of combined factors as to why this is, but it's a naturally occurring phenomenon. Certain combinations of power supplies and graphics cards will make more noise than others. It's sadly not practical for vendors to acommodate all power supplies and system configurations.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast