Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array Shanester PC Specs
    Shanester PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS EXTREME / ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA
    Processori9-9900K / i9-7900X

Odd, I noticed that same reduction in coil whine when switching from an EVGA PSU to a Seasonic. At first I thought my 2080TI was bad but after switching PSU's she is quiet and happy.

ROG Member Array

I ended up just swapping out my card, its now 80% better and im very happy

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

A lot of combined factors as to why this is, but it's a naturally occurring phenomenon. Certain combinations of power supplies and graphics cards will make more noise than others. It's sadly not practical for vendors to acommodate all power supplies and system configurations.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ASUS View Post
    A lot of combined factors as to why this is, but it's a naturally occurring phenomenon. Certain combinations of power supplies and graphics cards will make more noise than others. It's sadly not practical for vendors to acommodate all power supplies and system configurations.
    So, can you tell us which PSU worked best in your testing?
    Considering my 2080ti Strix is screaming at me the moment 1500mhz are passed (so, unrelated to actual fps sadly), i am open for suggestions.
    I don't mind spending another 200 bucks to make this beast as silent as it was adverticed.

For now I feel a little cheated tbh.
    I have waited 4 months for delivery on a product that is almost 400 bucks more expensive than the cheap offerings, only because Strix stands for silent operation.
    And hell, the fans are silent, no doubt! But what good does that do if i can hear the coil / mosfet whine in a closed case from two rooms away? :-(

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

Typically higher quality power supplies in general produce better results. I find Seasonic works very well for me. I haven't built a system with a Seasonic PSU that ended up with severe GPU coil whine. The Prime series PSUs have very tight voltage regulation and ripple.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Enthusiast View Post
    Considering my 2080ti Strix is screaming at me the moment 1500mhz are passed (so, unrelated to actual fps sadly), i am open for suggestions.
    I don't mind spending another 200 bucks to make this beast as silent as it was adverticed.

I have waited 4 months for delivery on a product that is almost 400 bucks more expensive than the cheap offerings, only because Strix stands for silent operation.
    And hell, the fans are silent, no doubt! But what good does that do if i can hear the coil / mosfet whine in a closed case from two rooms away? :-(
    I also have this problem of my 2080ti strix screaming bloody murder in high pitched fashion whenever it gets past 1500mhz. I was using a seasonic prime 650w, got a thor 1200w yesterday and the noise is just the same. Does quiet down a little bit after the card has been running for a while (not enough to be ok) but then again it did the same with the prime and goes right back to it once it cools down a little. Can hear the damn thing buzzing clearly 5 meters away, nevermind sitting with the tower 1.5m~ away.

I'm fairly frustrated with this, $1500 so called ''silent'' gpu with a god awful noise and the cherry on top the game code it came with didn't work and is now expired. Not too sure how to feel about all this, was planning on watercooling the whole lot before the summer but... Seller also doesn't want the card back as technically i paid for it, waited nearly 2 months for it to be delivered due to lack of stock and seeing how hard it was to get one i have then waited for a new psu to confirm the whine is the gpu itself, return delays are sadly gone. Meh.

I was told to contact asus directly. Does anyone know of any success getting a replacement for this?

ROG Member Array

I tried a Seasonic X Series and a Seasonic Prime Platinum,... neither fixed the screaming GPU.
    This Strix clearly has no fan sounds, but the shrieking is bad. Like really bad.

Guess ill get another two and hope for the best, but after waiting 4 months for it to be delivered, i am just frustrated.
    If the other two will be as loud as the first two, it will be my last Asus GPU for sure.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Enthusiast View Post

The only recommendation is to stick to quality PSU OEMs. It's hard to imagine with a reasonable power supply that the card would become as intrusive as you claim unless there was something wrong. These things are subjective, though. The Quiet BIOS offers one of the lowest noise levels (as attested by reviews), so there's obviously something being left untold / a red herring in this case.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ASUS View Post
    The only recommendation is to stick to quality PSU OEMs. It's hard to imagine with a reasonable power supply that the card would become as intrusive as you claim unless there was something wrong. These things are subjective, though. The Quiet BIOS offers one of the lowest noise levels (as attested by reviews), so there's obviously something being left untold / a red herring in this case.
    I don't claim the fans are loud. Infact they are whisper silent.
    It is the coil / mosfet whine that is annoying and noticeable, even 2 rooms away. And we got two cards that both have this, one is slightly less annoying (not audible from 2 rooms away, but still not useable when you are in the same room).

Since we are using Seasonic Highend PSUs, I doubt they are the culprints here.

Will be a few months for Strix to be in stock again, according to the big 3 resellers in germany, so I can't confirm how bad our replacements will be just yet. But i sure will once we get our 3rd and 4th Strix. And i really hope we are more lucky this time around,... somewhere in a few months. As annoying as the waiting is after having spend 3 grand on these GPUs.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array cekeu PC Specs
    cekeu PC Specs
    MotherboardROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-7900X
    Memory (part number)GSKILL DDR4 32GB (4*8) F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
    Graphics Card #1Zotac RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core
    MonitorASUS ROG SWIFT PG27UQ
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB
    Storage #2BARRACUDA PRO (8TB) ST8000DM005
    CPU CoolerCORSAIR Hydro Series™ H150i PRO RGB 360mm
    CaseLian Li PC 011 WXC
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Platinum SSR-1300PD
    Keyboard Corsair Gaming K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Studio® R1800TIII
    OS Windows 10 Pro

I keep my choice for ASUS for screens and motherboards (I don't use AI Suite) when I had custom graphics cards from Asus there were already reel whistling problems
    Last edited by cekeu; 02-09-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast