cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY HDMI jack support from Realtek Digital Output

davemon50
Level 11
In playback devices the Realtek Digital Output only shows support for the "optical jack" and there is no "HDMI jack" available. For this reason, the HDMI cable will not transmit audio. For the NVidia driver it includes HDMI jack support, and then I can deliver audio to my receiver over the HDMI cable.

Is this a function of the Realtek HD Audio driver? I am using the latest one recommended by Asus for this laptop. I'm also wondering if this is perhaps a Windows conflict. I find it hard to believe that Asus would offer a laptop with HDMI and not provide a driver for the HDMI cable (audio; the video does work).

I see a lot of threads on this forum for Realtek drivers, so now I am wondering if I would be able to just update to a new driver from Realtek; would others work on this laptop that are more recent? This is my G752VY.

Any suggestions? I am actually ok with using the NVidia support, except if you see I have another thread on this forum that I am having sound conflicts with annoying sounds from my speakers, and I suspect it is related to software conflicts so I want to simplify if possible.
Davemon50
6 REPLIES 6

davemon50
Level 11
BTW, here's what I see when I look at the playback device for Realtek Digital Output. As you can see, there's no HDMI. But the NVidia details show its availability, I show that here too.

Davemon50

Gps3dx
Level 12
Since at the HW level the HDMI is connected to the iGPU, at the SW level the sound control that passes through the HDMI is controlled as well by the iGPU ( Nvidia / amd / intel ).
when you install the COMPLETE graphics driver package, you can choose to install the HDMI audio driver as well.

lastly, your endpoint HW ( receiver / TV etc + CABLE ) also needs to support HDMI v1.3+ if you want to get quality DIGITAL audio output from the laptop - otherwise you need to use the SPDIF DIGITAL output ( which the audio card (realtek?) controls ) to pass digital audio output - which usually in ROG laptops is located at the "front speakers" socket ( it's dual usage port, analog for "front-speakers" & optical for SPDIF digital output )
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

davemon50
Level 11
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I didn't completely understand your comment for the SW level communication. That was kind of my question, that I expected the Realtek driver (SW) to communicate with the HW by default, which has HDMI. I'm not sure if it's supposed(?) to do it, or maybe it actually is already doing it through the nvidia driver? But it clearly doesn't show HDMI in the playback devices, while Nvidia does. Is Realtek taking advantage of it? Maybe I need a newer driver that can.

Regardless of all that I have no problems on the receiver end thru HDMI. It's pretty modern, and I do get great 5.1 through my room setup and nice video at the TV. I was just trying to resolve whether or not Realtek can drive the HDMI. Maybe it's a moot point.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I didn't completely understand your comment for the SW level communication. That was kind of my question, that I expected the Realtek driver (SW) to communicate with the HW by default, which has HDMI. I'm not sure if it's supposed(?) to do it, or maybe it actually is already doing it through the nvidia driver? But it clearly doesn't show HDMI in the playback devices, while Nvidia does. Is Realtek taking advantage of it? Maybe I need a newer driver that can.

Regardless of all that I have no problems on the receiver end thru HDMI. It's pretty modern, and I do get great 5.1 through my room setup and nice video at the TV. I was just trying to resolve whether or not Realtek can drive the HDMI. Maybe it's a moot point.

I have never seen this be an issue on my G752. I used it on multiple TV's and it always passed sound through the HDMI Also used it on a projector via HDMI and it also passed sound there. Have you tried bypassing the receiver and going direct to the TV? Maybe its not outputting dolby or something the receiver is looking for?
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Gps3dx
Level 12
realtek is the dedicated audio chipset for the 3.5mm ports, the SPDIF ( of the these 3.5mm ports which I already stated as a dual character ) and the internal speakers.
Nvidia ( in the particular case of your laptop ) controls the video acceleration & the digital audio output through the HDMI ( and video to the builtin screen of course ).

if you don't see HDMI in the audio playback devices it's probably because you/your OS chose to hide it from you.
right click in the audio playback devices list in an empty place and choose both options that appears in the popup - i.e show hidden & show disconnected devices.
you can also always see hidden devices in the window's device manager, by selecting VIEW-> show hidden devices.

also, it might be due to old NVIDIA driver - please update - make sure you also update the HDMI audio feature when you update.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

davemon50
Level 11
Thank you for your reply. In post #4 above I mentioned that I actually get 5.1 surround through the HDMI on mine too. I guess it's not really a "problem", I was just wondering about the listing for the jacks.
Davemon50