cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD upgrade

TheDragon
Level 7
Hello, I have built a computer for the first time.
Of course, the first thing I do is to fill the C-drive up to the rim, it is 0 MB left on it and I am getting quite annoyed.
Do you have a recommendation for a new SSD drive to put into my desktop? The specs for my desktop should be on my profile, but if it doesn't say, just ask and I'll provide.
You are supposed to smear the cooling paste behind the CPU on the pins, right?
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
You'll need to provide more information to get a useful reply.
M.2 or 2.5?
NVMe or SATA?
What will it hold? Is it just for media storage or for games? For media storage you might be better off with a NAS.
How much are you looking to spend?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You'll need to provide more information to get a useful reply.
M.2 or 2.5?
NVMe or SATA?
What will it hold? Is it just for media storage or for games? For media storage you might be better off with a NAS.
How much are you looking to spend?

I would like a M.2,but that might be expensive. I already have a M.2 NVMe 120 GB installed, the new one should be better then that. I could buy a 2.5 SSD, it will hold documents (like user folders). I don't know which of SATA or NVMe is better. I am looking to use around 20 euros maximum of 30 euros. I live in Norway if that helps, that will be around 200 to 300 NOK.

xeromist
NVMe is faster than SATA but you would need a free M.2 slot that supports it. However, for just documents you could go with anything. It doesn't even have to be an SSD.

30euro won't get you much though. You could get another 120gb SSD and add it as another drive to what you have but a 240-256gb SSD is going to be 40+ euro I believe. There is a company called Silicon Power that sells cheap SSDs on Amazon so if you can find them in your region you might find their 240GB drive close to your budget.

The other option is to look for a used drive. If someone else is upgrading to a 1TB SSD they might have a 256 or 512 drive in your price range. From an individual that should be fine. A drive from a business may have gone through a lot of write cycles and might not have much life left.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
NVMe is faster than SATA but you would need a free M.2 slot that supports it. However, for just documents, you could go with anything. It doesn't even have to be an SSD.

30euro won't get you much though. You could get another 120gb SSD and add it as another drive to what you have but a 240-256gb SSD is going to be 40+ euro I believe. There is a company called Silicon Power that sells cheap SSDs on Amazon so if you can find them in your region you might find their 240GB drive close to your budget.

The other option is to look for a used drive. If someone else is upgrading to a 1TB SSD they might have a 256 or 512 drive in your price range. From an individual that should be fine. A drive from a business may have gone through a lot of write cycles and might not have much life left.

It seems I don't get notifications about this thread. I am thinking about buying a big SSD and have most of my games there to free up some space.

JustinThyme
Level 13
2.5 SATA SSD gets you about 500MB/S sequential reads where something like the Samsung 970evo will net at least 3000MB/S. For budget minded the Samsung *860EVO 1TB is on special pretty much everywhere for $147 USD. 256GB is bare minimum these days and won’t get you much more than the OS and a few games an apps. *If you are on a really tight budget I’d still make the same recommendations and ad it would be worth saving the $$.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

xeromist
fragglerawker's connector discussion moved here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107751-Unusual-data-connector-(not-SATA-)