cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rog strix z390 f gaming 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps

djcuts
Level 7
Hi

My new setup throws out 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps on boot up.

From what I read in the manual this is something to do with no VGA detected, which isn't surprising as I have no VGA outputs on the motherboard or GPU

Everthing appears to work perfectly fine when booted so I am not sure there is actually an issue but the beeps are concerning.

This is what I have:

asus rog strix z390 f gaming
Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz Processor
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB Graphics Card
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB Kit DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Samsung 970 EVO V-NAND M.2 250GB SSD
700 watt PSU
Various internal HDDs/SSD

Can anyone shed any light onto whether I should be worried or if there is anything I can do to stop the beeps?

Many thanks

DJC
16 REPLIES 16

djcuts
Level 7
Hi all

I think I have gotten to the bottom of this. If I power on before I power up my monitor I get the beeps. It must be that if it detects no display (whether VGA, HDMI, DP or otherwise) then it will output this beep pattern as it has nothing to output BIOS screen to. Just tested it by making sure monitor was on and ready and I didn't get the beeps.

Cheers

DJC

Hi there,

same problem with my Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming and MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ventus 8G.

my system:

Intel Core i7-9700K, 8x 3.60GHz cooled with Noctua NH-D14
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT grau DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3000, CL16-18-18
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ventus 8G, 8GB GDDR6
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB, M.2
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB, M.2
be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W ATX 2.4

1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, every time I start my system, but Windows starts anyway.
If I start the system right again, there is no beep.
Tried different PCIe slot but the same problem.
I always connect my system to my LCD TV via HDMI.
When I see something on my TV, there is no beep.

Yesterday I tried my old TFT-Monitor and turned it on before I starded my system (according to this thread)
And... there was no beep 😄

I think you are right.

Hey all,
I'm sorry if I bump this thread, I got the same problem with my system, anyone solved this?
Probably some BIOS setting to change to avoid beeps when the monitor is off?
My BIOS version currently is 0702

My PC:
Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming
LG IPS224 Monitor @60Hz plugged via HDMI
Intel i5 9600k @3.7Ghz cooled with bequiet! Dark Rock 4
EVGA Nvidia GTX 1050Ti SSC
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB 7200RPM
Corsair RM750x 750W
NZXT H700

nope sorry, haven't solved it yet

if my monitor is turned on, there is no beep

if I start my computer and the monitor is turned off -> BEEEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
when I turn my monitor on after the beeps, my system starts anyway

davemon50
Level 11
You can go into your BIOS for those boards and try changing two settings to see if it helps:
- Graphics Configuration > Primary Display to PCIE
- Graphics Configuration > iGPU Multi-Monitor to Disabled

But basically you should leave your monitor on Sleep instead of turning it off. For a TV might be problematic, and for that LG IPS224 monitor you might have to turn off the Super Energy Saving mode.

If you haven't listed your monitor in this thread you should probably give that info for a question where you are asking about it. 😉
Davemon50

Thank for the reply davemon50
I changed the primary display to PCIE (it was set to Auto) and iGPU Multi-Monitor was disabled already but the beeps still persist if I start my system and the monitor is off, the system starts and everything works like a charm, also the Super Energy Saving mode is already disabled on my monitor.

Estriele wrote:
Thank for the reply davemon50
I changed the primary display to PCIE (it was set to Auto) and iGPU Multi-Monitor was disabled already but the beeps still persist if I start my system and the monitor is off, the system starts and everything works like a charm, also the Super Energy Saving mode is already disabled on my monitor.

That monitor is supposed to have a sleep function (like most). Is there some Sleep setting for the monitor that doesn't show up in the manual? i.e. how does one enable or disable sleep on that monitor? I see no instruction for it. I would prefer to let it sleep and use some standby power rather than have the computer beep at me every day. Although personally I just leave my computer running all the time.
Davemon50

I have the same problem with :

Processor
Core I9-9900K
Memory (part number)
F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX
Graphics Card #1
ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
Sound Card
Sound Blaster Z
Monitor
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Gaming Monitor
Storage #1
WDS250G2X0C wd black nvme
Storage #2
SSD 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 1tb
CPU Cooler
Master Liquid ML240R RGB Cooler Master
Case
Cooler Master MB530P
Power Supply
G750M cooler Master
Keyboard
K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming
Mouse
Razer Mamba TE
Headset/Speakers
AUDIO SURROUND 5.1 Z906 Logitech
OS
Win 10 Prp 64 Bit

when the monitor sleep beep beep beep, i update the bios i setting bios to primari display pcie but the problem is present.

I have ther same problem but different main board:

Asus Maximus Hero XI z390
i9900k
32Gb (4x8) Corsair RAM
Zotac GTX 2080 GTI AMP
Various SSD

One beep followed by 3 short on boot SOMETIMES.

I get this probably once in 4 or 5 boots. If I leave it the system goes into windows fine and Windows displays on my monitor but there doesn't seem to be a display on boot (BIOS messages etc.)

*Note* I always "Shut down" my system, the beeps happen on a power on. However I do not disconnect my system from the mains.

I've had it since building the system and through a couple of BIOS flashes.

I suspect it is caused by the BIOS not waiting long enough for the graphics card to initialise and assumes the card has failed.

I doubt the monitor has any bearing on this at all.

Usually if I completely power off and back on again there are no beeps. However I did have one occasion where I got beeps twice.