cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Slow download speed via Ethernet

FunThings
Level 7
My G751JY notebook can only download files at 25Mb/s via Ethernet. With the same Ethernet cable, my desktop downloads at 300Mb/s. When I download files from any server, the download caps at 25Mb/s. Speed tests at google.com and speedof.me result in 25Mb/s. Speed tests at fast.com result in 140Mb/s. Speed tests at speedtest.net result in 300Mb/s.

Things I've tested:
Reset Windows 10
Windows 10 Network Reset
Installed Ethernet adapter driver from ASUS
Toggled QoS Packet Scheduler
Toggled IPv6

I'm stumped. I don't think it's a problem with the adapter since speedtest.net gives a good result. Is it possibly a BIOS issue? Please help.
3 REPLIES 3

jdfrench3
Level 12
The latest Realtek LAN driver is 10.23.1003.2017 dated 2018/03/06.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

MrRuckus
Level 10
FunThings wrote:
My G751JY notebook can only download files at 25Mb/s via Ethernet. With the same Ethernet cable, my desktop downloads at 300Mb/s. When I download files from any server, the download caps at 25Mb/s. Speed tests at google.com and speedof.me result in 25Mb/s. Speed tests at fast.com result in 140Mb/s. Speed tests at speedtest.net result in 300Mb/s.

Things I've tested:
Reset Windows 10
Windows 10 Network Reset
Installed Ethernet adapter driver from ASUS
Toggled QoS Packet Scheduler
Toggled IPv6

I'm stumped. I don't think it's a problem with the adapter since speedtest.net gives a good result. Is it possibly a BIOS issue? Please help.

Sounnds related to some kind of software firewall or antivirus software. Its allowing fast.com to go at full speed, so you know the driver is capable. Its gotta be something limiting it. Look for something running down by the clock thats not also on your desktop. Im betting its something along those lines.

You can also try loading up windows safe mode with networking which should load the bare essentials and remove all software in the background. If you can pull full speed in safe mode with networking, then you know its something in your startup causing the problem.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

JustinThyme
Level 13
Run lan speed test to narrow it down to internet issue or network connection. This app transfers a file to another machine or network drive on the LAN and reports the speed.

https://totusoft.com/lanspeed

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein