cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RESOLVED] New ROG Strix z390-E Gaming w/ new ROG Strix 1060 OG6...

Simon_LeBon
Level 9
Will not post. Error LED points to VGA/Display card.

If I use two other cards I have (an ASUS 750ti and an ASUS 950) both post with out issue. I have verified that the motherboard works just fine with other video cards AND that the video card works just fine on another motherboard (Maximus Hero XII - z170 chipset). I've had the video card RMAed (NewEgg) and this second one is doing the EXACT same thing.

I suspect that the oversized heatsink and triple fans on the 1060 Strix card and the chipsets heatsinks and SATA plugs on the end of the Strix z390-E motherboard could be in each others way and the card is "JUST BARELY" not quite seating correctly? But at this point that is just a possible suspicion. I'm at wits end. I don't know if there is a BIOS update forth coming that also could be the issue.

Is there anyway that someone at ASUS can check this combo of motherboard and video card? I realize the motherboard is relatively new.

Thoughts anyone?
15 REPLIES 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Is the GPU locking into the slot...i.e. the catch snapping into place on the end of the slot?

Have you cleared CMOS after installing the 1060?

Have you tried uninstalling NVIDIA drivers...installing 1060 and installing Nvidia driver?...(Use DDU for clean sweep of driver...safe mode)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Is the GPU locking into the slot...i.e. the catch snapping into place on the end of the slot?

Yes. The PCI-e slot lock on the end is triggering.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you cleared CMOS after installing the 1060?

When installing the 1060 I get no screen from the card at all. IF I use the onboard video I can get to BIOS, but not when plugged into the 1060 (no screen). And the 1060 LED indicator light and fans all indicated the card is installed properly and has power.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you tried uninstalling NVIDIA drivers...installing 1060 and installing Nvidia driver?...(Use DDU for clean sweep of driver...safe mode)

I'm not even getting to OS yet. Can't even get the card to be recognized in BIOS/UEFI.

Is there a chance that NewEgg has ROG Strix 1060 O6G cards that have out of date VBIOS?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Clearing CMOS doesn't need working GPU...you should try it at least.

The GPUs that work are connecting via same cable? Any other cables you have to try?

I cleared the CMOS a few times out of frustration WHEN the card did not post... but never right before putting the card in.

Yes. I've tried plugging in same power cable and another into the 1060 that is used in other cards. I'm running fine with a 950 at the moment, but I just hate seeing a 1060 that I bought specifically for this build just sitting in the anti-static bag on my desk. Particularly when I have seen this 1060 card work, without issue, in my older Maximus Hero VII board.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Display cable I meant...sorry

Does sound weird that everything works with other combos...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Display cable I meant...sorry

Does sound weird that everything works with other combos...

I'll try a different cable this evening. But yes, the fact that I've got that card to work on another board AND that other cards are working on this board... it's just strange. That's why I've been looking at what might be effecting the z390-E mainboard and 1060 O6G combination together... like if this was not tested and needed a BIOS update?

Looking here:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING/ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING_QVL_De...

On page 10 it appears that the "STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING" that I have has been tested. Just not sure why I can't seem to get it.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Honestly I would suspect BIOS incompatibilities would be a real outside chance. I'd look at PSU/PSU PCIe power cables and/mounting and drivers etc. first.

If you have the 950 in at the moment you could uninstall Nvidia driver.Switch off , Clear CMOS and then fit 1060 and see if there is any change...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Honestly I would suspect BIOS incompatibilities would be a real outside chance. I'd look at PSU/PSU PCIe power cables and/mounting and drivers etc. first.

If you have the 950 in at the moment you could uninstall Nvidia driver.Switch off , Clear CMOS and then fit 1060 and see if there is any change...

I'll see what I get tonight or tomorrow and report back (little busy tonight and may not get to this until tomorrow night).

I'll go with your suggestion... I am running a brand new Thermaltake 650W 80+ Gold that has modular cables... so I could try a different PSU PCIe cable or the other plug/port on the PSU?