cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent undervolting of GPU and CPU with AMIBCP & Polaris?

Mublur
Level 7
Howdy,

I have a GL703GS and yes, it is loud under load and the fans have the really annoying ramp which has bothered laptops for the last 15 years (fully off - then spin up to a minimun cooling level instead of having a more gradual fan curve).

If someone wants to compare to their system, I run Balanced fan mode in ROG gaming center and furmark stress test gives me avg 92 FPS and stable GPU temp at 76 Celsius after running it for a hour

I know about the intel xtreme utility and afterburner to undervolt CPU and GPU - but these seem like workarounds compared to many mobos where one can at least undervolt the CPU right in the BIOS. Also - I've noticed that XTU seems to forget the undervolting setting from time to time (even though it's saved as a profile and i boot it up with Windows. This is even more annoying.

I have seen many people use the AMIBCP utility to unlock BIOS options closed off from the ordinary user. I'd love to know if anyone has done this for their GL703 series laptops and whether they were successful to any extent?

Alternative - What about the Polaris Editor?
4 REPLIES 4

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Use Throttlestop to undervolt the cpu. It works 100% of the times, even after a reboot, and it's a really small and light program compared to intel xtu.
As for the bios modding, you should start by getting a flash programmer, in case things goes south when playing around with it. Editing the bios is risky stuff (you can brick the laptop by flashing a bad bios or playing around with previously hidden settings), having one of those in hand can save your life.
Anyways, go to win-raid.com or bios-mods.com forums and try your luck there. They even have a section where you can request a modded bios.

Mublur
Level 7
I know. i am not really keen on modding the bios (before UEFI things were simpler). i was just hoping to have the same type of modifiability as with desktop mobos (where they often expose the volt settings). if there was a way to set undervolting in bios i would not have to worry about any software.

The same thing applies to GPU undervolting - using Afterburner (have not tested it yet whether it works or not) feels like a kludge compared to just being able to set undervolting permanently in vbios. it seems like ASUS has closed off all venues of tinkering with the laptop in a controllable manner (via BIOS settings) which is a pity. It looks like my next laptop will have to be from a more modder friendly manufacturer...

And about fan speeds, what is annoying is that my old laptop (G751JY) which has much thicker fans (thus not having as annoying whine due to lower rpm) runs the fans constantly at a low rpm, whereas GL703 stops fans completely and then suddenly ramps them up to a quite high rpm. It seems like not much can be done about this, as the thermal mass of the heatpipes and heatsinks in GL703 is very small and thus fan response has to be quick.

Anyway, if was curious if anyone has done some modding on the GL703 (or GL702) series laptops to reduce the heat load via undervolting in a more permanent way.

I am not a fan of drilling more holes to the chassis and doing ugly hardware mods as those do not fix the origin of the problem (creation of too much heat)

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
I don't think you can undervolt pascal gpus by editing the vbios, but I could be wrong. Afterburner works just fine, but it takes some trial and error to get it perfect. You have to edit the clock/voltage curve until you find the perfect spot. Every gpu comes out different from the "oven" so downloading a profile from someone else might not work for you.

About the fan profile, you could try notebookfancontrol.

Unfortunately the tinny whining fans with constant on/off switching was too much and i returned the laptop... I can only repeat that if ASUS made a modernised version of G751JY I would be the first in line to buy it.

After multiple disappointments with ASUS and MSI I went with Alienware 17 R5 as it was the closest to my 751 in this regard. They both ramp up fans extremely smoothly (not suddenly) and the noise is very low frequency, not whining and high pitched. Also neither of them thermal throttle under full load like the GL703GS does...

Please ASUS, stop it with the thin gaming laptops and put thick nice low RPM cooling fans to your chassis - I've had two good ROG laptops already and I would have loved to continue with a third one 😞