cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows octoer update broke overclock.

DemiSLayer
Level 7
Am running latest windows October update and my overclock is now non operational.

Am running 6900k with Rampage V extreme.

I am running 3902.

Is there a solution to this ? I paid quite a bit for this board and do not want to be forced into upgrading quite yet.
7 REPLIES 7

x-rated
Level 8
the best solution is to find new working settings 🙂
but the question is - is it really because of windows update?

x-rated wrote:
the best solution is to find new working settings 🙂
but the question is - is it really because of windows update?

Uh define please.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Most likely the microcode update. Caused a lot of issues such as increased heat for some CPUs and broken OCs
You can go into update history and remove it then hide it if you dont want it coming back.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4100347/intel-microcode-updates-for-windows-10-version-1803...

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Most likely the microcode update. Caused a lot of issues such as increased heat for some CPUs and broken OCs
You can go into update history and remove it then hide it if you dont want it coming back.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4100347/intel-microcode-updates-for-windows-10-version-1803...

Im running the latest october update i did that in prior updates but the 4100347 is no longer available for me to disable. I am told that the latest microcode is embedded in the 1809 update.

Prior to this i was able to have a stable OC at 4.5 multiplier with 100mhz strap and 3.6ghz cache at 1.34 volt core with 1.2 volt cache. The updates relative to the 4100347 kill the ability to go beyond 4.0 ghz with a 100mhz strap. I am however able to change strap to 125mhz but cannot obtain a stable OC at 4.5ghz. i have to lower the OC due to heat and instability.

DemiSLayer
Level 7
I can just upgrade to a 9900k etc but i am wanting to put the money to a second rtx card at moment.

vennacher
Level 7
The update broke my overclock as well, R4BE with Sandybridge. It wasn't on the high end, rather at idle. I disabled the C3/6/7 states and increased my CPU fixed frequency to 750, VCCSA fixed frequency to 500. I am testing CPU fixed frequency at 500, but not enough time to declare it stable.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

Menthol
Level 14
DemiSlayer,
You can use Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool 7.35, you can download any version of Win 10, then disable updates if one wishes to, or Win 7, and Office

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_iso_download_tool.html