Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    ROG Strix GL702ZC Benchmark results after Dual Channel Upgrade

    https://novabench.com/view/1627371#


    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13034597

    why are the Userbench scores for my GPU low and HDD low?

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    73

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentHunk View Post
    https://novabench.com/view/1627371#


    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13034597

    why are the Userbench scores for my GPU low and HDD low?
    Turn off your web browser and any other programs that might be using your GPU and/or HDD.

    These are my scores:
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13121882

    Bear in mind that I used Ryzen Master on my CPU to undervolt and overclock the CPU... and once you do that across all cores, it locks the single core to that same frequency (in my case, 3.3 ghz), so my single core score is a bit lower than yours because yours clocks up to 3.7 ghz on 1 core.

    As for the GPU, mine seems to score more than yours (but that could easily be due to other programs running in the background on your laptop).
    Plus, I usually run an undervolt on mine (though this one is without the undervolt being active).

    Though, as you can see from my SSD score, the Crucial SSD is quite fast (that should give you some indications on whether its worthy to be upgraded).
    I plan on replacing the HDD with the Crucial SSD (2TB) once the price goes down below £200.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by deksman2 View Post
    Turn off your web browser and any other programs that might be using your GPU and/or HDD.

    These are my scores:
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13121882

    Bear in mind that I used Ryzen Master on my CPU to undervolt and overclock the CPU... and once you do that across all cores, it locks the single core to that same frequency (in my case, 3.3 ghz), so my single core score is a bit lower than yours because yours clocks up to 3.7 ghz on 1 core.

    As for the GPU, mine seems to score more than yours (but that could easily be due to other programs running in the background on your laptop).
    Plus, I usually run an undervolt on mine (though this one is without the undervolt being active).

    Though, as you can see from my SSD score, the Crucial SSD is quite fast (that should give you some indications on whether its worthy to be upgraded).
    I plan on replacing the HDD with the Crucial SSD (2TB) once the price goes down below £200.
    So,your saying my HDD is slow and that the GPU is not getting top performance on an HDD....that I need a SSD...correct?

    This is a picture image of what my task manager looks like when I game .most I am afraid to turn off for critical crash and data loss..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Task Manager 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	77746

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Task Manager 2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	77747
    Last edited by AgentHunk; 12-22-2018 at 09:14 PM.

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Gpu is poor as i being comaped to its better cooled higher powered desktop brothers, and you ssd seems fine the hdd is probably due to it almost 9/10 full.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12946161 I've since upgraded to a 1Tb ssd and scores increased until i whacked 480gb games on it
    Last edited by jels; 12-23-2018 at 10:26 AM.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by jels View Post
    Gpu is poor as i being comaped to its better cooled higher powered desktop brothers, and you ssd seems fine the hdd is probably due to it almost 9/10 full.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12946161 I've since upgraded to a 1Tb ssd and scores increased until i whacked 480gb games on it
    So,A 2TB SSD would greatly improve performance and speeds by alot?

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by jels View Post
    Gpu is poor as i being comaped to its better cooled higher powered desktop brothers, and you ssd seems fine the hdd is probably due to it almost 9/10 full.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12946161 I've since upgraded to a 1Tb ssd and scores increased until i whacked 480gb games on it
    OR is it Benchmark really rigged to give only Nvidia the High Scores?

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    a blank hdd is ideal not sure size matters much, at a guess an empty 500gb would work best lol; as for nvidia bias no not so much for once the 580 i think prefers added power/cooling, my 1070 shows as a notebook one so looks better on user bench mark. on hwbot im in your boat. also user bench aint a stress tess so much i can run at 2000+ where as firestrike im at 1720/30 nowhere near the same utilisation/stress. is possible that lowering cpu power draw further may give gpu a touch more power to play with. i miss amd normally simple +powwer = better clocks = better scores. Pascal seems more frequncy = lower scores, more power = limits. Gonna pull out my 4870s and play i forgot how i like it easy barring heat.
    Last edited by jels; 12-23-2018 at 10:05 PM.

  8. #8
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    73

    Quote Originally Posted by jels View Post
    Gpu is poor as i being comaped to its better cooled higher powered desktop brothers, and you ssd seems fine the hdd is probably due to it almost 9/10 full.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12946161 I've since upgraded to a 1Tb ssd and scores increased until i whacked 480gb games on it
    The GPU is comparable to mobile GTX 1060 in performance... but admittedly, his gpu does score less than even mine. Might be a faulty chip or the unit might have cooling issues under maxed out GPU load.
    The fans might not be ramping up to adequate rotational speed for maximum GPU load, which could reduce performance.
    It certainly causes me headaches because it appears that in Superposition benchmark and demanding games like Darksiders III, my GPU produces very poor performance with skipping frames in comparison to what it should (my performance is at least 40% lower compared to where it should be).

    Its only if I manually force the fans to 80% that it seems to solve the problem, but realistically, this is not a typical behaviour for my unit.
    My friend who has identical GL702ZC scores better in GPU oriented tasks with everything set to default and apparently fans set to 'auto'.
    I had issues with the unit before which underwent 2 RMA's... and Asus didn't want to give me a replacement or a refund because of their new policy that they will only do one or the other if the unit underwent 3 or 4 unsuccessful RMA attempts (which is ridiculous).

    Asus royally messed up a batch of GL702ZC and generally implemented poor cooling.
    The hardware and concept is sound, but Asus really dropped the ball and did AMD a great disservice.
    Heck, if Asus even just set the GPU clocks to 1200 MhZ, undervolted the GPU and kept memory speed at its current settings, they'd get virtually identical performance to a desktop chip for 75W-80W of chip limit.

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array AgentHunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by deksman2 View Post
    The GPU is comparable to mobile GTX 1060 in performance... but admittedly, his gpu does score less than even mine. Might be a faulty chip or the unit might have cooling issues under maxed out GPU load.
    The fans might not be ramping up to adequate rotational speed for maximum GPU load, which could reduce performance.
    It certainly causes me headaches because it appears that in Superposition benchmark and demanding games like Darksiders III, my GPU produces very poor performance with skipping frames in comparison to what it should (my performance is at least 40% lower compared to where it should be).

    Its only if I manually force the fans to 80% that it seems to solve the problem, but realistically, this is not a typical behaviour for my unit.
    My friend who has identical GL702ZC scores better in GPU oriented tasks with everything set to default and apparently fans set to 'auto'.
    I had issues with the unit before which underwent 2 RMA's... and Asus didn't want to give me a replacement or a refund because of their new policy that they will only do one or the other if the unit underwent 3 or 4 unsuccessful RMA attempts (which is ridiculous).

    Asus royally messed up a batch of GL702ZC and generally implemented poor cooling.
    The hardware and concept is sound, but Asus really dropped the ball and did AMD a great disservice.
    Heck, if Asus even just set the GPU clocks to 1200 MhZ, undervolted the GPU and kept memory speed at its current settings, they'd get virtually identical performance to a desktop chip for 75W-80W of chip limit.
    ok,I get what you are saying..but to solve my score issue I will try to get a better SSD and Should I try to keep my fans at 50%? for good and forget about auto?

    oh,and BTW I use Ultimate Performance All the time....

    New score with fans at max: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13312669
    Last edited by AgentHunk; 12-28-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •