cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTX 2080-O8G Wrong Clock Mhz - Help

dougrlima
Level 7
Hello,
I purchased this VGA(ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G-GAMING) around a month ago and it has been working nicely. Yesterday, I completed cleared all SSDs and reinstalled Windows on my M.2, proceeded to install all drivers, etc..
However, I noticed that when I was playing, the Clock of my VGA was higher than it was supposed to be in all standard modes of the GPU Tweak ll. (Silent 1830, Gaming 1860, OC 1890)
I have all drivers up to date, bios, etc... I also haven't changed anything to increase the clock speed so that's the main reason I'm looking for any type of help. The VGA was running 2000+ Mhz at 50 Celsius, which I don't think its bad, but I don't want to overwork the VGA, especially because I'm playing on 1080p.
I don't know if the VGA is running the correct clock, and its simply a bug on the values, but again, any help is truly appreciate. Pics below:

2 REPLIES 2

jondoe1989
Level 7
Hi there, I have the same card.
hmmm, if you aren't crashing or seeing any artefacting with games or benchmarks (furmark, timespy etc) - it probably means u got a good Chip, or ur ambient temperature is really cool. The "boost clocks" for the 3 settings 1890 (OC), 1860 (gaming) and 1830 (quiet) are just targets which the card will try to boost to, within their set thermal and power limitations. The frequency will boost even higher if the temperature allows, and how much this is possible depends on each individual chip, no two will the same.
I think if the temps are good, and you arent having and BSODs, crashes or artifacts, you may have won the chip lottery!

Perhaps someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

jondoe1989 wrote:
Hi there, I have the same card.
hmmm, if you aren't crashing or seeing any artefacting with games or benchmarks (furmark, timespy etc) - it probably means u got a good Chip, or ur ambient temperature is really cool. The "boost clocks" for the 3 settings 1890 (OC), 1860 (gaming) and 1830 (quiet) are just targets which the card will try to boost to, within their set thermal and power limitations. The frequency will boost even higher if the temperature allows, and how much this is possible depends on each individual chip, no two will the same.
I think if the temps are good, and you arent having and BSODs, crashes or artifacts, you may have won the chip lottery!

Perhaps someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully, this is the case; I'm just a bit uneasy due to the fact that these changes occurred after the Windows swap from my SSD to my SSD M.2, I don't recall having the same Clock Mhz a week ago.