cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wouldn't recommend getting the G-sync Firmware update if you have a PG279Q

PCGuy8484
Level 7
While my PG279Q was under warranty, I decided to get the firmware update that is noted in this thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87380-Firmware-Update-for-ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q

My monitor was working fine except I would have to power cycle it every once in awhile to clear up the pixel inversion issues. I knew shipping the monitor back would be kind of a pain but figured it would be worth it to have the monitor completely working.

I filed an RMA and shipped the monitor back so it arrived at Asus on 11/13. I received an email stating they were going to send me a replacement instead of a repair but it didn't ship until the 11/28. I received it on 12/5 and it has backlight have a huge irregular bright spot. I have contacted support multiple times now working to get it repaired or replaced. I am unable to open another RMA because the new S/N is tied to the first RMA so won't let me create another using the online form and the support representatives aren't able to either.

If you have a good panel on your PG279Q, I wouldn't sent it back or you risk getting a defective one in return that you will be stuck with.

Update: I was able to get an RMA filed and the defective monitor is on its way back.
3 REPLIES 3

KuraiShidosha
Level 10
That freaking sucks. This is exactly why when someone asks about doing warranty work for their product which is working, I always say no. Wait until it's absolutely in a bad way before sending it in. Chances are, what you get back will be in a worst state than what you sent in. They don't give you brand new parts, they give you refurbs. I'm sorry you are suffering this problem, it's really screwed up and you deserve better.

For anyone reading this and looking for advice, here's the best advice you can be given:

When you buy a brand new product, PUT IT THROUGH ITS PACES. Thoroughly run intensive tests on it and try to find any flaw or fault ASAP. You want to discover these problems in the retailer return window so you can do a direct exchange for a brand new, unopened box item that you have much better odds of getting a good product. NEVER submit a brand new item to RMA if you are within your return window. Essentially doing so will be the same as spending full price brand new for a used, possibly damaged item.

Once you are outside of return window (typically 14-30 days) then the question of RMA is up to your individual situation. If 6+ months into ownership you start experiencing major problems (worse than OP's g-sync module issue where power cycling fixes it) then you'll have to decide about sending it in. I would suggest living with the problem, if it isn't too bad, right up until warranty is almost expired. Then a few months before hand send it in and cross all your fingers and toes that you get something better that will last you awhile.

But if it isn't in a really bad way, we're talking major artifacting and other irreparable problems, do not even bother sending it in. Chances are you will get something much worse for no reason.

I still don't have a working monitor. They received the defective monitor 9 days ago but since they will only replace it with a refurb and they don't have any in-stock, I just have to wait and hope they get a refurb in.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Post in the service relates inqueries. That’s somewhat monitored by ASUS employees. Next to none wander past that into other areas and lately none of the mods and even admins even work for ASUS.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein