cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus xi apex or gene

Special-Kthx
Level 7
https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/Intel-Z390/ROG/

They both have been announced, but no products in NA(Canada), even the Gene was shown at launch day on newegg youtube with asus reps.

Any ETA, I'm really looking to get the Apex. My wallet is waiting...
9 REPLIES 9

jelome1989
Level 7
Same here, this and the Strix 2080 Ti + EK waterblock are the only ones left for my build. Hopefully before January ends.

jab383
Level 13
Both look like viable choices for serious overclocking. Their 2-slot (single DIMM per channel) RAM layout is claimed to reach DDR4-4800 compared to 4400 on the 4-slot boards. That's the real advantage of these two. In the past, the Extreme, Apex, Gene and usually Formula shared ASUS best BIOS. The difference between them is size. Most of that is in PCIe slots. I'll have to check the spec pages when published to see whether the smaller Gene has compromised on VRM phases or capacity.

There are other viable choices, too. With BIOS upgrade the 9900K's will run on Maximus X boards, but he Z390 is supposed to overclock the 9900K family better than the Z370. I have run the M10A at DDR4-4400, but not higher and the timing sweet spot is about 4133. For my competitive overclocking, the OC Panel is an important accessory. There is no connection for that handy tool on Maximus XI boards and no indication of a replacement for the OC Panel's functions. That's a strong driver for me to stay with the M10A.

The EVGA Z390 Dark has a unique approach to VRM size and cooling and placement of DRAM's -- CPU socket is turned 90 degrees. They rate potential DRAM speed to 4600MHz. Some functional improvements make up what EVGA was lacking for convenient manual overclocking. With the absence of the OC Panel on M11's, the z390 Dark is looking like a closer competitor for my needs.

finally the spec page is up https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-APEX/

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROG/status/1076386960678236161

I hope you don't region lock it like the GENE.... only Europe sucks....

Btw any ETA for Canada? Can I buy directly from Asus? ???? The wait is already too long..... I waited for the gene for it to NEVER come...

jelome1989
Level 7
The Gene is surprisingly available here in my country but it comes with a massive premium since only one retailer has it. However, looks like I would have to buy the Apex from Amazon since retailers are telling me ASUS doesn't have plans to sell it here in my country.

Any Asus rep can give some ETA?

Special-Kthx wrote:
Any Asus rep can give some ETA?

I've seen some thai reviews and some spanish now, any idea when i can buy this in Canada

Special-Kthx wrote:
I've seen some thai reviews and some spanish now, any idea when i can buy this in Canada

Can you link me the reviews?

Ive been asking everywhere on their facebook, no one answered me. I thought they would show it at CES but no.... I keep on watching those asians reviews too but nothing in NA. And I hope I can buy in Canada. It was announced late october..... On the launch day , on newegg’s youtube channel, they showed the gene but they don’t even sell it in NA.