cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How best to utilizt the SATA ports on the CHV mb?

lrtrees
Level 7
Ok, quick question here. I have a CHV mb and to it I am connecting two DVD drives. I currently have the connected to ports 5 and 6 configured as IDE. I have just purchased a new SSD drive that will be here tomorrow. I am also considering installing to SATA 3 HDD's in a RAID configuration.
If I understand correctly ports 1-4 can be set as IDE, AHCI or RAID. If I leave the two DVD drives on 5 and 6 set as IDE, how would I configure the SSD drive as AHCI and the two HDD's as RAID.
I was hoping not to use the Asmedia port if I did not need to.
I hope this makes sense. I know what I am asking, but whether I get it across or not is the question.

Thanks,
Lon
11 REPLIES 11

lrtrees
Level 7
I am just wondering if none of you have seen a situation like this or am I just missing something really easy here?

I would sure appreciate any comments you might have.

Thanks, Lon

NanoTechSoldier
Level 7
lrtrees wrote:
Ok, quick question here. I have a CHV mb and to it I am connecting two DVD drives. I currently have the connected to ports 5 and 6 configured as IDE. I have just purchased a new SSD drive that will be here tomorrow. I am also considering installing to SATA 3 HDD's in a RAID configuration.
If I understand correctly ports 1-4 can be set as IDE, AHCI or RAID. If I leave the two DVD drives on 5 and 6 set as IDE, how would I configure the SSD drive as AHCI and the two HDD's as RAID.
I was hoping not to use the Asmedia port if I did not need to.
I hope this makes sense. I know what I am asking, but whether I get it across or not is the question.

Thanks,
Lon

You Can't Run IDE & AHCI @ The Same Time Mate... It's One Or The Other... Seeing How Your Running SSD & HDD [RAID}... Use Only AHCI Mode Port 0 [SSD] + RAID 1-4... If Your DVD Drives Are Only IDE.. You'll Have To Buy SATA Drives Or Use IDE/SATA Adapters... Adapters Slow It Dramatically Though..

Check Your Crosshair V Formula Manual For RAID Setup... Chapter 4.4, Page 4-38...
| AMD FX-8150 @ 5.192GHZ | Antec Kuhler h20 920 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt |
|16GB GSkill Sniper PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM + 32GB AMD "RADEON Edition" 1866MHz SDRAM |
| CoolerMaster Silent PRO Hybrid 1300W With Fan Controller | ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 |
| Xigmatek Water Cooling Tower With 2.5"/3.5" Sata Dock Built In | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

HiVizMan
Level 40
Lon do you seriously expect people to respond within 20mins to a question about which SATA port to use?

Some of us live in different countries and for example I was asleep when you posted.

I use the Asmedia ports for all my optical drives. I do not like to mix and match my optical and OS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

lrtrees
Level 7
HiVizMan, my apologies if I was to quick to ask again. I do think you might find that the time period was slightly longer than 20 minutes if you double check the dates and the time.
NanoTechSoldier, sorry if I was misleading on the dvd drives. I have two dvd drives. A dvd burner and a blueray burner. Now I may not understand what I am reading, but in the manual on page 4-44 on the top of the page it indicates that one is configuring RAID to place the drives on ports 5/6 and configure those ports as IDE in the BIOS. Am I missing something?
And then HiVizMan, would I be ok in putting my SSD drive on the Asmedia port and then setting up two HDD's as raid on ports 1/2? And if I did this, would ports 3/4 only be able to be used as RAID?

I sure hope that what I am attempting to ask makes sense!!

Thanks,
Lon

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL yes and I owe you an apology. I just saw the time. What I do not understand is how I never saw this post before. I read each and every post on the forum. So double apology from me. I do tend to be grumpy in the morning.

Yes it does make sense. I am not a fan of the Asmedia ports for my RAID but for a single SSD that would work fine. You then have the better ports for RAID freed up. I think that there is a post or thread here some place that shows the best way to use the ports. And also something about the ports being incorrectly labelled in the manual.

And once again please accept my apology I did not notice the dates were different. Your reply was most considered and gracious. Thank you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

lrtrees
Level 7
No worries, it happens!

You mention Asmedia ports. I read that as more than one, and I only see one on my board. That is as far as headers on the board. Am I missing one? And I have been wondering about the SATA port labeling on the board. They show up different in the BIOS than on the board. Ports 5/6 seem to be ok, but 1-4 seem different.

And just to clarify, if I set ports 1/2 to RAID, ports 3/4 will also be set to RAID and NOT available to use just a AHCI HDD which is not used in a RAID configuration.

Thanks again,
Lon

Llama
Level 7
Nope. He's just talking about ASmedia controllers in general, i.e. they suck and shouldnt be used for SSDs, raid etc. There's only one sata ASmedia port on the CHV
Crosshair V
FX-8350
16GB Vengeance
2x Gigabyte 6970 OC Windforce

NanoTechSoldier
Level 7
@Irtrees... That's Because, You Are Changing The Asmedia SATA Controller Setup In BIOS & It Will Interupt Optical Drive & Installation Of RAID Drivers etc..
[The SATA Controller Driver Scans ALL SATA Ports & Determines What Ports Need To Be Changed]
Hence, The Interupt Of Optical Drives etc..

Seeing How 'My' CHVF Support DVD Won't Work Anyway {My Drive Won't Recognise ONLY This DVD]... I Would Create The RAID Setup Using USB Flash Drive & It Is Recognised As A Flash Disk In BIOS Boot Priorities etc..

In This Case... You Don't Have To Worry About Switching Any Drives To IDE & Use A Totally Different USB Interface For Installation etc..
| AMD FX-8150 @ 5.192GHZ | Antec Kuhler h20 920 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt |
|16GB GSkill Sniper PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM + 32GB AMD "RADEON Edition" 1866MHz SDRAM |
| CoolerMaster Silent PRO Hybrid 1300W With Fan Controller | ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 |
| Xigmatek Water Cooling Tower With 2.5"/3.5" Sata Dock Built In | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

So for clarity, am I able to connect my SSD drive to SATA port 1 and also set up my two HDD's in a RAID configuration on SATA ports 3 and 4? And if this is ok, will I set SATA ports 1-4 to RAID in the BIOS and will the SSD drive still function with this setting?
I have read and reread the manual, and I am just not clear on this.

Thanks again,
Lon